Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Weight loss and back country workout thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ohhiitznik View Post
    296 jan 1st, I'm now 272. Its funny how fast I can lose weight by upping cardio and sacrificing strength/muscle mass training for endurance/speed. Goal of 240 by elk season in august. It'll happen.
    Good for you.

I had another good workout tonight.
    1 hour cardio on treadmill, alternating with jogging and walking at an incline and then some weightlifting, not much but enough.

Been counting calories this week, seems I've been right around 2300-2400 normally, but have dropped it to 2000-2100 or less for the week to see how that goes. All the numbers say anything under 3000 calories per day I should lose weight. I really don't know, just eating healthier and hoping things work out. I feel like I'm doing my part, hope the rest of you guys are too.
    Hang in there.

For those who haven't started, get moving, you'll feel better.
    To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.
    It gives me an understanding of what makes me tick!

im trying to lose weight, but ive been considering adding some calories each day. ive been between 1600-1900 daily, but im running anywhere from 4-7 miles a day or doing P90X, might need a few more calories for better results. weight is coming off and i feel good, but maybe a bit more good food would be even better.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

Just finished my 1st week of the Insanity workout! Part of my body is saying good job, the other part is saying OUCH!!!!!! Like it so far. Changed my food habits for the better. Looking to lose some weight. I gain muscle quick so looking more for cardio workouts and this might be the one!?
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Oh how I hate and love you leg days.

broke the 200lb mark this morning and now at 199. so far 11 lbs in 3 weeks. 9 more to go. its time to start really pushing. the shin splint is still a minor set back. instead of running, been bicycling in the gym for cardio. hi pro diet seems to be working.
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

question for those that reach their weight loss goal. obviously once you reach your goal you don't want to keep losing weight. and you want to keep working out so.....what do you change? is it your diet? your cardio? your work-out routine (weights)?

trophyhill,
    I find that once I'm working out hard and I reach a goal weight, I can pretty much maintain that weight without thinking about what I eat... As long as I don't go crazy and binge for 2 weeks straight or something like that... for me, losing weight is about diet and maintaining weight is about exercise... Of course, I turn 40 on Sept. 1 so things might be a changin'!

I lost 5 lbs last week and for the first time since tearing both arches in my feet I was able to run for a mile straight on the treadmill. This was only part of my workout and was able to complete the 2 miles and then move to weights after that. Still a long ways to go though.

Keep it up guys.
    To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by gil_wy View Post
    trophyhill,
    I find that once I'm working out hard and I reach a goal weight, I can pretty much maintain that weight without thinking about what I eat... As long as I don't go crazy and binge for 2 weeks straight or something like that... for me, losing weight is about diet and maintaining weight is about exercise... Of course, I turn 40 on Sept. 1 so things might be a changin'!
    what a birthday present. being amongst elk on sept 1

Quote Originally Posted by a3dhunter View Post
    I lost 5 lbs last week and for the first time since tearing both arches in my feet I was able to run for a mile straight on the treadmill. This was only part of my workout and was able to complete the 2 miles and then move to weights after that. Still a long ways to go though.

Keep it up guys.
    nice job. stay with it man.

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    question for those that reach their weight loss goal. obviously once you reach your goal you don't want to keep losing weight. and you want to keep working out so.....what do you change? is it your diet? your cardio? your work-out routine (weights)?
    Diet. Add some useful calories and a little more protein. Keep tweaking til you quit losing. Eventually you'll hit a plateau where what you're putting in and the amount of exertion level out.

Exactly what beast mode said. People try to complicate weight loss/gain with all these fancy complex body analysis and other things. Weight loss is simple as bringing in less calories than you use. And weight gain is bringing in more calories than you use. To stay the same you need to find a balance. If you want to eat more, workout more. If you want to workout less you have to eat less. Find your balance and you're golden. My balance for maintaining weight is 4000 calories a day give or take a couple hundred.

Great job 3d,I've been running,hiking with a weighted pack,riding a bike.Turkey season is a month away so that will mix in chasing gobblers in N.Ga mountains until mid-may then Colorado scouting trip first week in June.Can't wait till Sept!
    Any animal taken with a bow is a gift regardless of size or score.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
    Great job 3d,I've been running,hiking with a weighted pack,riding a bike.Turkey season is a month away so that will mix in chasing gobblers in N.Ga mountains until mid-may then Colorado scouting trip first week in June.Can't wait till Sept!
    I'm headed up to Colorado next weekend.....sure is nice being this close.

Any of you guys taking pre workout powders or anything like them... IF you're trying to lose weight I'd suggest staying away from them. Yes they give you more energy and more of a boost... But they also retain water weight on you because of the creatine. And when you're in the mountains you will not be able to use them. Try training without them you'll be surprised how little they give you if at all! For you guys trying to put on weight, by all means, every little bit may help. Just remember you can't rely on the preworkout when you're in the mountains to get you moving.

lu
    Any of you guys taking pre workout powders or anything like them... IF you're trying to lose weight I'd suggest staying away from them. Yes they give you more energy and more of a boost... But they also retain water weight on you because of the creatine. And when you're in the mountains you will not be able to use them. Try training without them you'll be surprised how little they give you if at all! For you guys trying to put on weight, by all means, every little bit may help. Just remember you can't rely on the preworkout when you're in the mountains to get you moving.
    here is the protein shake/smoothie i came up with.
    i make my own protein smoothie and drink part of it about 45 minutes to an hour before my workout and the rest immediatly after my work out. i don't like the taste of the whey powder so here is what i make my smoothie with. i take some frozen fruit medley consisting of black berry, blue berry, raspberry and strawberry. i pour in a little 2% milk and set the blender on chop mode for a bit until everything is broke down and add milk as needed. then i drop in some frozen pineapple chunks and some frozen peach chunks and chop adding a little milk. then i drop a banana into the mix and blend. again adding milk as needed. for the protein i add 2 packages of plain quaker instant oats and blend. sometimes i add a raw egg in place of 1 of the packages too. cant even taste it. it seems to work for the energy i need pre work out and fills my needs right after working out. on occasion i will drink a whey shake after my workout instead. this is after i get home from work so usually i havent eaten since noon other than maybe a yogurt for a snack around 2.

Taking nothing, but glad you brought this up.
    Was walking by the machine with all the drinks for sale today and thought about it.

I am working for weight loss and overall fitness. I am not doing strictly cardio, since I am doing some lifting as well but weight loss is the number one goal.
    Besides counting caloric intake for each day and drinking a lot of water, I cut out any calories from drinks (miss sweet tea a lot!) and no sodas at all.
    What else would be suggested?

Had to work half a day today and then was able to get a real good workout in. Felt good not to be rushed with time.

Still working hard but this knee problem is pissing me off! I have not been able to do stairs or run for a few weeks now.

I take no pre workout powders but I do take in about 50g of protein powder half of that is within the first 15 after my work outs
    destroyer optifade 340, black ops insanity XL. spot hogg sight, wise guy release, fuse stabilizer, limb driver pro V rest, axis n-fused 340's, muzzy mx3 broadhead, octane 2 piece quiver

For protein I use optimum nutrition gold standard strawberry powder and mix with OJ post workout. It taste good I think
    destroyer optifade 340, black ops insanity XL. spot hogg sight, wise guy release, fuse stabilizer, limb driver pro V rest, axis n-fused 340's, muzzy mx3 broadhead, octane 2 piece quiver

i use Hammer Perpetuem.....it goes with me every where I go.....even the mountains. I love there products.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastModeBwhntr View Post
    i use Hammer Perpetuem.....it goes with me every where I go.....even the mountains. I love there products.
    i checked out their website. looks like a great product. how does it taste?

i checked out their website. looks like a great product. how does it taste?
    it's like a dreamsicle.... orange and vanilla. it's pretty damn good. i use all hammer products outside of a few Honey Stinger products. good chit, not a bunch of crap in it like some of the stuff out. I always laugh at Gatorade and Powerade.....horrible stuff man.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastModeBwhntr View Post
    it's like a dreamsicle.... orange and vanilla. it's pretty damn good. i use all hammer products outside of a few Honey Stinger products. good chit, not a bunch of crap in it like some of the stuff out. I always laugh at Gatorade and Powerade.....horrible stuff man.
    i wonder if the local GNC carries it. i'll have to check it out. if not i'll order some and try it out.

Just to chime in on this thread....

I started dieting last week, and ordered a Versaclimber on Friday. It will be here in about 2 weeks. The ZA206 self inflicted beatdown is almost upon me.
    I'm not much of a "get on a scale" sorta guy, but when the pants start getting too tight, I know it's time to get to work. The pants are too tight..... dammit.

As of last week, I'm around 2000-2200 calories a day. I know this regiment works, as I've done it several times in the past. Just gotta get my workouts
    started and then punch the clock and get into a routine. I've also made it a point to get into bed no later than 11 PM, and most of the times by 10 PM.

I'll post up with some results in a few weeks or a month. BTW, at the end of April, I'm taking a 10 year anniversarry trip to Atlantis with with wifey, so
    I'm trying trim up some before that.

-ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

lu

here is the protein shake/smoothie i came up with.
    i make my own protein smoothie and drink part of it about 45 minutes to an hour before my workout and the rest immediatly after my work out. i don't like the taste of the whey powder so here is what i make my smoothie with. i take some frozen fruit medley consisting of black berry, blue berry, raspberry and strawberry. i pour in a little 2% milk and set the blender on chop mode for a bit until everything is broke down and add milk as needed. then i drop in some frozen pineapple chunks and some frozen peach chunks and chop adding a little milk. then i drop a banana into the mix and blend. again adding milk as needed. for the protein i add 2 packages of plain quaker instant oats and blend. sometimes i add a raw egg in place of 1 of the packages too. cant even taste it. it seems to work for the energy i need pre work out and fills my needs right after working out. on occasion i will drink a whey shake after my workout instead. this is after i get home from work so usually i havent eaten since noon other than maybe a yogurt for a snack around 2.

When I say Preworkout guys I mean like Jack3d, NO-Xplode, ANIMAL, and Muscletech Stacker 1000. things like these products that have creatine, sugar and caffeine. You can have all the smoothies and protein powders you'd like. Just watch for the creatine and "XPLOSIVE WORKOUT" tags on the bottles. Don't take anything that says "GET YOKED" or "XPLODE YOUR WORKOUTS" if you want to focus on losing weight. Sounds like you have a good plan Trophy, keep at it.

Remember, there isn't one key for any one person for losing weight, but it all boils down to less calories taken in than what you've burned. Many of you can have a different diet, and have the same result... Just remember, less calories in, more calories out = weight loss. You can burn the calories by weightlifting, olympic style, or crossfit (NOT BODYBUILDING WEIGHTLIFTING ROUTINES) or cardio. Anything that elevates your heartrate and requires you to burn energy is going to do the trick. Thats why so many different people can get great results doing different things. If you like hiking with a weighted pack, and you burn 2500 calories doing it in 3 hours, That would be the same as a guy riding on a stationary bike for 3 hours burning 2500 calories. Calories burned are calories burned. Now you may get benefits from hiking with a loaded pack that you won't get from riding a bike but we won't get into those. But for pure weightloss remember that golden rule.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast