Thread: I want to try traditional shooting and left eye dominate

I want to try traditional shooting and left eye dominate

I have shot right handed compound bows for 20 years I would like to try traditional. I recently purchased a right hand browning recurve 43#. I aalso won a TD custom bow that the builder will build for me. My question is should I just start with a left hand custom built and forget about shooting right handed?

tbuck -

Try both and see which is more comfortable. There's usually a tug of war between eye and and hand dominance with cross-eye dom people, we can't tell from here which is the more "dominant" with you. While same eye/handednes is a plus, there are way too many successful x-eye dom shooters to make any "rules".

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Thanks Viper I will order the lefty and get a string made for the Browning right hand

i am left eye dominate. I tried the lh thing for a while. I just couldnt do it. I now sold my stuff and i just bought a rh dorado. I am shooting with both eyes open and rh. i am doing fine.

meo -

Me too.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Shot RH'd for years as a youth never realizing I was left eye dominant. Never could master it, even quit for a few years. After I figured out the eye dominance thing came bac shooting LH and have lived happily ever after.

It seems to me as one progresses in trad archery there will be "off" times when you analyze why you aren't shooting up to your potential. Knowing the cross-dominant thing isn't part of the problem during these times is just one less thing you will have to worry about in getting back on track.

On the other hand many have mastered it.

seneca

Im left eye dominant and have been shooting RH my whole life. I guess after all these years the brain has overcome it.

I shoot RH and I am LEFT EYE DOM. I am a very good target shot. I do not do well on 3D Targets. If I remember to close my left eye at the moment of the shot I do OK.

Left eye dom

I too am like you, and was told to buy lh gear and shoot
    left handed, so like a dummy I bought a brand new (instead
    of used) Hoyt 38 ultra, sight, rest, etc. and tried it.
    Standing the opposite way from what you're used to is one
    thing, but setting your tree stand 180 degrees from "normal"
    is a whole different thing. I hated it. Got a longbow
    and a recurve, and I can shoot them rh with both eyes open
    and do better than my compound with my left eye closed.
    Will NEVER shoot left handed again. I still have the Hoyt
    that I wanna trade for a similar RIGHT handed bow if you
    or anyone you know is interested.
    Romans 10:9 "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in you heart God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
    1 Timothy2:3&4..."God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

the engineer!!!! you live in DeLand?! no way!! The odds! I went to Stetson there and have been away for a while but miss it terribly. It feels like my real home ^o^ You ever eat at Oudum's Thai & Sushi?

sorry to hijack - PM me

On the occular dominance - if you're right eye dominant it would be detrimental to start learning to shoot left handed just because you're first bow seems to...well at rest the bowstring touches arrows that sit on the right arrow shelf and is about an inch away from arrows that sit on the left arrow shelf. Shooting right feels natural to me but the arrows fly straight when shooting left =/

Try both and pick the lesser of two evils. But I think if you have shot 20 years RH on a compound, you will likely feel most comfortable shooting a recurve right handed.

Interesting posts. I too shot compounds for about 20 years right handed, left eye dominate. I went with the "stay with what you know" thought and purchased right handed stuff. After three years of solid shooting and hunting I still felt I could do better. So I bought some lefty stuff and immediately shot better. The strange part was after about 20 shots it felt comfortable. I sold my righty stuff. I think the best advice is to try both ways before settling on the side you want to go with.

Cobie
    Pope and Young Associate Member
    Compton Traditional Bowhunters
    PBS Associate Member
    Iowa Bowhunter's Association
    TallTines 60" 52#@28"

I just posted earlier in the general section about the same thing!

My problem is I have a borrowed lefty compound and a righty recurve and I can't decide which way to go. The whole "compound" thing is new to me.
    I'm almost certain I want a #55 or #60 recurve, but the bow I like only comes in RH.
    I'm certainly more used to a RH stance, but so far I shoot well either way!
    Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

#60 @33" Atilla Archery Snakeskin Hungarian
    #65 1977 Jim Cox Dynabo
    #70 2003 Hoyt Ultratec

Perhaps mine is an unusual case. I too shoot RH and am left eye dominant, that is, until I test my eye dominance by extending one arm only and then looking through the circle formed by my thumb and forefinger. This simple modification of the standard eye dominant test showed my dominance to be the opposite of whichever arm I was extending.