Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow hitting to the left

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Okie1bow 
#1 ·
Just got my first recurve and all my shots were left of the center line of the target. Some were high but I was switching between split and 3 under. What I don't know is why I was hitting left. I was very consistent on the vertical plane but always left.

#2 ·
What is your set-up?
Draw length/weight. Arrows. Etc.

It could literally be ANYTHING without more info.

-Grant

#4 ·
What is a fletchmatic?
How far left are we talking here? How far away was the target?

-Grant

#6 ·
Elwood -

You didn't mention arrow length, but unless they are about 33", they are way over spined.

Just for giggles, try shot-gunning (looking right down the arrow, holding dead center well below the bulls eye) and see what your left/right deviation is.

Viper1 out.

#8 ·
Elwood -

Yup, that one of the classic signs of an over spined arrow (from a right handed shooter), but it's certainly not the only reason. That's why I asked you to shot gun a few shafts.

Viper1 out.

#11 ·
I have a small question about this post. If you are shooting to the left consistently, why not adjust and simply aim more to the right? I'm not being a smartass here, I'm new to instinctive shooting and am wondering if I am missing something. I was shooting an overspined arrow for my bow at one time and was shooting to the right (I'm left handed) as I increased my distance. If I was dead on at 20 and then moved to 30 I would start landing them to the right. If I adjusted for 30 and then moved back to 20, I was shooting to the left. Is this what you are experiencing? Again, this is really my inexperience talking.

#12 ·
spin -

You can, and most people do compensate for slight L/R deviations, both instinctively and with sights. But as you noticed, it can and will become a band-iaid fix, sooner or later. As a FIRST STEP the arrow really has to fly in the same direction it was initially pointing. Just makes life easier.

Viper1 out.

#13 ·
Shooting left for a right hand shooter, especially with a trad. bow is often a slight problem with your anchor. Firm up the anchor and remember to release straight "back" and do not allow yourself to "pluck" the release to the outside; right, which of course makes the arrow go left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.