Thread: Arrow hitting to the left

Arrow hitting to the left

Just got my first recurve and all my shots were left of the center line of the target. Some were high but I was switching between split and 3 under. What I don't know is why I was hitting left. I was very consistent on the vertical plane but always left.

What is your set-up?
    Draw length/weight. Arrows. Etc.

It could literally be ANYTHING without more info.

-Grant

Greatree Highlander 64" 35# at 28".
    I draw 29"
    Arrow is XX75 Gamegetter, 500 spine, 2016, helical feathered
    finger tab 2 under.
    My fletchmatic produces a straight shot.

What is a fletchmatic?
    How far left are we talking here? How far away was the target?

-Grant

Fletcher Fletchmatic release
    http://www.fletcherarchery.com/prd_fletchmatic.html
    And about 4-6 inches at 20 feet from target.

Elwood -

You didn't mention arrow length, but unless they are about 33", they are way over spined.

Just for giggles, try shot-gunning (looking right down the arrow, holding dead center well below the bulls eye) and see what your left/right deviation is.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Would over spine cause them to go left?
    They were selected for me by Andover Archery where I bought the bow.

Elwood -

Yup, that one of the classic signs of an over spined arrow (from a right handed shooter), but it's certainly not the only reason. That's why I asked you to shot gun a few shafts.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

What's the arrow length and tip weight?

ill check when i get home.

I have a small question about this post. If you are shooting to the left consistently, why not adjust and simply aim more to the right? I'm not being a smartass here, I'm new to instinctive shooting and am wondering if I am missing something. I was shooting an overspined arrow for my bow at one time and was shooting to the right (I'm left handed) as I increased my distance. If I was dead on at 20 and then moved to 30 I would start landing them to the right. If I adjusted for 30 and then moved back to 20, I was shooting to the left. Is this what you are experiencing? Again, this is really my inexperience talking.

spin -

You can, and most people do compensate for slight L/R deviations, both instinctively and with sights. But as you noticed, it can and will become a band-iaid fix, sooner or later. As a FIRST STEP the arrow really has to fly in the same direction it was initially pointing. Just makes life easier.

Viper1 out.

Shooting left for a right hand shooter, especially with a trad. bow is often a slight problem with your anchor. Firm up the anchor and remember to release straight "back" and do not allow yourself to "pluck" the release to the outside; right, which of course makes the arrow go left.