Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Jobs (Not archery related)

Counselors are awesome. You have to follow what's right in your heart. I worked as a manager/ director in the hospitality field and got sick of the BS and everyone always worrying only about the bottom line no matter the hurt it caused. Now I'm starting a hot dog cart business and there is nothing like owning and working for yourself!

I go to school part time studying Mechanical Engineering Technology and work full time for a local archery manufacturer working half assembly and half CNC operator. I also help out part time at the local archery pro shop. I love going to work every day and plan to stay in the archery industry once i have completed my MET studies.
    Tech at Big Sky Archery, Factory staff for Black Gold Premium Bowsights, Ripcord Arrow Rests, and Tight Spot Quivers

A few of my friends have OSHA degrees, love their jobs, and get payed fat wages. Im a welder and machinist by trade, love working with metal but running a lathe can get a bit boring. I own a restaurant that was left to me and my sister from my grandfather, have been working there for 7 years,grandpa passed a couple years ago. I dont know about other fields, but owning your own restaurant isnt all its cracked up to be. Lots of hours, and lots of whining and fighting from the waitresses. Whatever field you choose, stay away from jobs that have a lot of women working together in a confined space!
    Carbon Element, B Stinger, Black Gold, Trophy Taker

Brasco, thats one of the reasons I got out of the military.... Sad, but true...
    2010 Black Ops Sentinel FLX (Baldy's Strings and tune)
    2014 Black Ops Bowtech RPM 360

Predictive maintenance engineer
    .........." You'll have that on those big jobs! "......................... ...
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    "Anti - Crossbow"

ER nurse. Work 12 hour shifts and have 4 days off per week. Work every third weekend but it gives me a chance to hunt during the week.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo, 413 gr Gold Tip XT's, 307 fps, TT Smackdown, BG Ascent

My son is going through the same thing as the OP right now. I think he finally has chosen Physical Therapist. Physical Therapist ranks high for opportunities and pay, takes 7 years to get your masters.
    2013 Elite Answer
    2014 Xpedition Archery XRing 6

B-Stinger / HHA / QAD / CX Maxima / RAGE / Center Circle & Retrieverfishin strings

Analyst

good pay, great benefits, off for 6m a year. downside I work in the middle east.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1980 View Post
    Assistant service manager @ Ford dealership. I would stay away from automotive. Too much stress and not enough pay!
    I would agree with part of this statement. I am a used car tech for a dealership in denver that sells 5 different car lines so I am pretty busy and make really good money but the stress and bs I put up with is not worth it. I am just getting to an age where I dont feel like making a change so I will stick it out for a while till I can move on, when all my bills are paid off and I owe no one.

I'm a Cabinet Maker. I love my job but it's a hard living.

IT consultant. Normal hours, interesting work, and my pay is directly related to how hard I want to work.
    2014 Elite Energy 35 - Perfected Excellence
    Spot Hogg - World's Toughest
    Doinker - World's #1 Stabilizer
    G5 - Designed To Hunt
    Lone Wolf - Your Silent Partner

I am an RF Engineer at AT&T.

Have a masters in EE

Regardless of the major you choose take as much math as you could....

Go get your RN license... You can go anywhere and can get an associates of nursing in at least two years...So you wont have as much student loans.
    Most around KC area start around 22 bucks an hour with full benefits and you can work as much as you want. If you can handle the nasty crap. My wife is, and i would do it too
    just so we could travel and work, but i cant handle the blood and guts........I can skin animals and nasty crap, but needles and people, no thanks.

Director of Information Technology and contract software developer in my spare time. Always had a knack for development and systems so the schooling was easy for me. The pay is great but in this field be prepared to be always learning at a rapid pace. I think when I first started writing code it was VB 3 or 4 and now I’m using C# and Objective C on multiple platforms. Qualified IT people are in demand – also hard to come by in my area.

Good luck!
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by bow-legged View Post
    I'm a Cabinet Maker. I love my job but it's a hard living.
    You ain't kidding...a hard living. It looks like you do great work. I am the son of a cabinet maker. My pops made the owner a crap ton of money with his talents. I know for a fact that it was Da's talents alone that kept the guy in business...my Dad kept Mom on a pedestal and the shop owner tried to infringe on that. He tried to make Dad work a home show on his wedding anniversary and was a real horse's patoot about the whole thing. Dad left the shop and the guy folded 1 year later. I'm very thankful to Dad for teaching me a great majority of what I know about woodworking. He is now a production foreman at a local wood casket manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    Just wondering.
    why is everone quoting what another AT member said previously, in everone of their posts,,
    The quotes dont apply to all responses..
    Just curious,' dont want anyone to get their panty's in a wad??

Quote Originally Posted by forked point View Post
    No matter what make sure it is something you enjoy!! Waking up every day and not dreading going to work is worth millions i promise!
    This. 100% this.

Quote Originally Posted by 06Bruce View Post
    I build tires for cooper tire. Work 12hr shifts on grave yard. It sucks but the money is ok.
    Love my Cooper tires!

Union ironworker

OK , I will be the first to admit it .. U.S Postal Worker , will have 28 years in May 2012 , come on 30 ...
    HOYT HAVOC-TEC,EXTREME RT900,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY 3 BLADE,ACC 3-49
    HOYT AM32,VIPER H1000,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY MX3 ,TROPHY RIDGE CRUSH 400

US Army 1981 - 1989

man, some of you guys have great jobs.
    i am taxidermist. love every minute.

I worked in machine shops and was a ceritified tig welder for 14 years now I work in sales for a portable building company, as well as owne a game call company. I hated working in a factory. Now I love my job as much as you can love a job and as far as working for yourself gose, it's as rewarding as you make it. The more you do for yourself the more you get out of it.
    There are a lot of things in life I would have enjoyed... if only I would have known I would live through them.
    I shot my bow so much I lost my hearing
    "I hate chiggers."

Work is way over rated, Go find yourself a nice fat rich girl with lots of land and owns a liquor store!

I have been a finish carpenter all my life, mostly home improvement and small additions, 6 years ago I saved enough coin to start my own home improvement business and a lawncare/landscaping business. Things went very very well until the economy collapsed then my state changed the laws about the landscaping industry. Sold the landscaping business to a major firm and closed shop on the Home Improvement business for now, we will see what the future holds. Right now I work at as a Librarian and actualy find it to be very cool. I am going back to school and trying to build off my EMT training to get into Nursing or some other aspect of the medical profession. I love Home Improvement however it's a tough living with the weather, economy and major league hours involved.

What ever you do make sure it is something that you enjoy and can grow upon.

Construction Engineering Inspector for roads and bridges.
    Mike Marlow, ASA, FAA and NFAA member
    ASA Area Rep NW Florida

I would stick with the health care industry as your first choice. It's something that is always going to be around and everyone needs it at some time or another. Obviously any health care reforms could impact this, but it's something that all area's need small and large.

As mentioned previously, find something that provides you with satisfaction first and foremost. Every job will have it's up's and downs. But you don't want a job that you hate going too regardless of how much it pays.

I work in the computer technology field and the pay is good, but the stress sucks and if I had to do it over again, I would choose something else.
    12 Bowtech Insanity "Crackerized" 27 @ 57 lbs shooting 296 fps with a 355 grn arrow

I design and test circuit boards for Computer systems. We make our own silicon and all for it. I was in the Navy for 10 years as an Aegis FC. Got out, now I sit around here and train college kids stuff they should have learned in school. I absolutely hate getting up and coming here everyday but its currently paying for my side projects, which I hope one day pay the bills. That's what I'm looking forward to, not dealing with folks that get paid more than I do to do a far less technical job than I do.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast