a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: What make is a good crossbow for someone hunting?

What make is a good crossbow for someone hunting?

I had to get rid of my compound because of a shoulder injury so know I am looking to get a crossbow. Any information would be great thanks. I am so far looking at arrow presicsion inferno's and hortons. Thanks

Call Wyvern Creations, LLC ... talk to Dave. You'll see this posted 10 times ... for good reason. 1-603-659-0575
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Thanks

What makes a good CB, balance,comfort,ease of handling,dependable.
    Kong Matrix 405 Fast Strong n Deadly
    Marie Laveau Matrix 355
    Banshee MXB 320
    vixenmaster strings

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Call Wyvern Creations, LLC ... talk to Dave. You'll see this posted 10 times ... for good reason. 1-603-659-0575
    +1 ^^^^

In discussion with Dave myself, he will give you the best advice, he will not put you wrong.
    Ne Te Confundant Illegitimi

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I came on this and other sights and read post after post. And made up my mind i wanted a Excal.Don't take this wrong he is a great guy.I called Dave to order a Excal Vortex.Ended up with a Desert stryker never even carried it hunting until i was holding a hand for of parts (long story) broke.Dave was very helpful,and it never cost me one red cent. Off it goes back for repairs. Weeks went by no word no bow. I buy a Parker carried it hunting a couple times. Now i have to send the trigger back. Its back in my hand repaired with in a week.After better than a month the DS is shipped back. FedX drops if off, with in a few mins I'm on the phone hay Dave. He said send it back to him (not fixed). There goes another week. He calls and said i never seen that before. He said what can i do to make you happy (can't beat him). I get a new Strykeforce but its going to be about a month.Shorting up the story i had to buy a new $100+ set of strings (viperX) to fix a problem it had. Plus build a press to work on it.
    Sold it for a Scorpyd sold the Parker for a Excal. The Scorpyd started wearing buzz cables bad. Dave bought me a set of Viperx string and Buzzs fixed that plus dressing up the cable slide.

The Excal Ibex I just shot it and shot it. I did a few things to quiet it.Just because i wanted to.
    After spending 4 years crossbow hunting and 30+ bow hunting. I sold the Scorpyd and bought a Excal Relayer Y25. Just a great hunting bow.Now i have 2 Excals. That give me the piece of mind. I can shoot as often as i wish and there ready each and every time. They shoot cheaper arrows with several broad heads. Better than the high dollar bows above.
    I have hunted a good bit with the Excals. Taken Deer,Turkeys,Hog,and untold amounts of small game.They are a good solid get it done hunting bow.
    My advice call Dave. If your going to buy a compound. BUY FROM HIM!
    Hope this helps and good luck

What makes a good crossbow you ask?

Something that's reliable, has good features/specs., and you are confident will not blow up in the hunting woods. That criteria leads me to recommend these manufactures:

Excal., Scorpyd, TenPoint, and Kodabow in no particular order.

Now go call Dave at Wyvern Creations...he'll set you up right!

If you hunt It doesn't get any better than an Excal.

Quote Originally Posted by rt2bowhunter View Post
    I was in the same boat a few years ago. I came on this and other sights and read post after post. And made up my mind i wanted a Excal.Don't take this wrong he is a great guy.I called Dave to order a Excal Vortex.Ended up with a Desert stryker never even carried it hunting until i was holding a hand for of parts (long story) broke.Dave was very helpful,and it never cost me one red cent. Off it goes back for repairs. Weeks went by no word no bow. I buy a Parker carried it hunting a couple times. Now i have to send the trigger back. Its back in my hand repaired with in a week.After better than a month the DS is shipped back. FedX drops if off, with in a few mins I'm on the phone hay Dave. He said send it back to him (not fixed). There goes another week. He calls and said i never seen that before. He said what can i do to make you happy (can't beat him). I get a new Strykeforce but its going to be about a month.Shorting up the story i had to buy a new $100+ set of strings (viperX) to fix a problem it had. Plus build a press to work on it.
    Sold it for a Scorpyd sold the Parker for a Excal. The Scorpyd started wearing buzz cables bad. Dave bought me a set of Viperx string and Buzzs fixed that plus dressing up the cable slide.

The Excal Ibex I just shot it and shot it. I did a few things to quiet it.Just because i wanted to.
    After spending 4 years crossbow hunting and 30+ bow hunting. I sold the Scorpyd and bought a Excal Relayer Y25. Just a great hunting bow.Now i have 2 Excals. That give me the piece of mind. I can shoot as often as i wish and there ready each and every time. They shoot cheaper arrows with several broad heads. Better than the high dollar bows above.
    I have hunted a good bit with the Excals. Taken Deer,Turkeys,Hog,and untold amounts of small game.They are a good solid get it done hunting bow.
    My advice call Dave. If your going to buy a compound. BUY FROM HIM!
    Hope this helps and good luck
    I had strongly considered buying the relayer at a point in time.
    Ya like it?

Not quite sure I need a backup bow.
    As a matter of fact....I'm pretty sure I don't with an Excal as my primary.

I am considering a wyoming elk hunt this year.
    That much money on a tag without a backup bow has me a little concerned,
    EVEN with my excal.

I could easily fit two of 'em into my pelican case that I use for rifle hunting.
    Regards,

Pete

I think the best thing for you to do is to first maybe call dave get some ideas of bows to look for then go and shoot those bows and see what suits your hunting needs....do you hunt from the ground, a tree, hike a long distance and pack a lot of stuff in...trigger pull, weight, bulk, noise, bow weight/ poundage... all will effect you differently then anyone else...so shoot them alot.
    Strike Zone 350, Hawke XB30, Gold Tip Lazer III, Lumenoks, NAP FOC Broadheads

What make is a good crossbow ?

Since nobody really did actually answer the question you asked...TENPOINT !
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

Once I got a Barnett 150lb for $100.00 to use as a teaching aid. Then several years later I needed an xbow to hunt with after falling from a roof. It works well. So any xbow that catches your fancy will work. Now if you have a $ grand and half laying around there are some like the Barnett Ghost and some others hitting over 400 fps and any of them would be find. Having a dealer close helps some with the brand you pick.

youve come to a good place. i think you will get more helpful info and opinions on this forum than anywhere else. ultimately only you will be the one to consider budget and go out try and shoot and hold a few.the xbow i praise may not be your cup of tea.stick to the major brands and get to a store. there are plenty of generalizations to start your journey. recurves are generally wider but less to fuss with than compound xbows .if you have an injury that keeps you from cocking a xbow you may consider a model with a crank or even an auto cocking model.some brands only allow you to get parts and service through a dealer while others let you call in a parts order or you can ship it direct for repair work if need be. only you can decide. your journey has begun. ha!

Quote Originally Posted by GEMSBOK View Post
    youve come to a good place. i think you will get more helpful info and opinions on this forum than anywhere else. ultimately only you will be the one to consider budget and go out try and shoot and hold a few.the xbow i praise may not be your cup of tea.stick to the major brands and get to a store. there are plenty of generalizations to start your journey. recurves are generally wider but less to fuss with than compound xbows .if you have an injury that keeps you from cocking a xbow you may consider a model with a crank or even an auto cocking model.some brands only allow you to get parts and service through a dealer while others let you call in a parts order or you can ship it direct for repair work if need be. only you can decide. your journey has begun. ha!
    Well said.....

How much can you afford to spend? You will get better answers if that question is answered. Lots of nice bows out there and some are EXPENSIVE. Others not so much...

I was thinking somewhere between 400 to 600 to spend. I have plans are going to stores around in the next couple of days and checking it out. I am waiting till my income tax check comes back so I am just trying to get some research done. I was also wondering is the crank for nocking quite enough to use in the woods, I also hunt from the ground only. I dont climb at all. I hunt a lot of state game lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalasports View Post
    I think the best thing for you to do is to first maybe call dave get some ideas of bows to look for then go and shoot those bows and see what suits your hunting needs....do you hunt from the ground, a tree, hike a long distance and pack a lot of stuff in...trigger pull, weight, bulk, noise, bow weight/ poundage... all will effect you differently then anyone else...so shoot them alot.
    Great advice Cap,
    There is only one bow that has the best overall of the above mentioned, Hickory Creek's Vertical Crossbows. As Tbroms second choice at this years ATA Show the In-Line Crossbow has a very light trigger pull, light weight, comes a part for storage in a small back pack, it is shot in the vertical position so it is very maneuverable, and pound for pound has the best KE. This is a bow that is quite, easy and fun to shoot,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qx5SvSzAI

I am thinking about the inferno firestorm or the horton bone collector? which do you guys reccomand?

Cas,

You didn't fill out your location in your profile so we do not know what state you are in and what, if any, odd crossbow regs might exist there.

Here are a few more things to consider:

There are some pros and cons considering a recurve crossbow vs a compound. You can do all of your own maintenance on a recurve but a compound crossbow requires a press for string changes and adjustments. I carry a spare string in the truck for my crossbow and if I damage the string I can just go back to the truck and change it out. With a compound the hunt is over until you can get it to a pro shop to replace the string. Recurves are louder than most compounds. Recurves are wider than most compounds.

I have an Excalibur Exocet and I wouldn't own anything else it is perfect for me. My dad had shot mine and he liked it and was going to get one for himself but after a trip to Cabelas to shoot some he decided on a Parker Terminator. Make sure that you get an opportunity to shoot some before you buy them to see what feels right to you.

David at Wyvern creations is a great source of information and a terrific person to do business with.

Make sure that you check the laws in your home state for any specific laws or hunting regs you have to follow.

For example:

The state of Connecticut has a 200 lb maximum and a 450g arrow weight minimum.

Also Connecticut has the following general hunting laws that will affect what you buy and how you hunt:

1. Hunting ends at sunset.
    2. A cocked crossbow is considered a "loaded weapon", with or without an arrow on the rail.
    3. Like most states if you have a "loaded weapon" in the woods you are deemed to be hunting.

Yes I think that the regs are stupid and it is obvious to me that they were written by people that don't have a clue about crossbow hunting but whether I like it or not those are the rules.

I have an Excalibur and if I am going to hunt to sunset I just let the bow down at sunset with the cocking rope. However, the reality of those rules mean that I need a crossbow without an ADF (Anti-Dryfire Inhibitor) so I can easily let it down, otherwise I need to carry an expendable arrow, or small target, and shoot it at sunset, or I would need to be at the truck at sunset to shoot it into a target.

You also need to figure out how you are going to handle a cocked crossbow at the end of the hunt. I just let my crossbow down at the end of the hunt as I said previously. Some here feel that that is not the safest way to "uncock" a crossbow and recommend that you shoot a junk arrow into the ground or into a target that you keep in the truck. To each their own.

I would also recommend that you stick with a major brand that has a good reputation and warranty in the event that you need it.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by chasclark2 View Post
    I am thinking about the inferno firestorm or the horton bone collector? which do you guys reccomand?
    the sz350 or the 2012 titan extreme ( tenpoint) wyvern creations is your best bet for more info and he is a great dealer,phone number:1-603-659=0575.

Excalibur only real choice