Thread: Need help choosing a good beginner / youth compound bow.

Need help choosing a good beginner / youth compound bow.

My nephew is really interested to start archery, he like to try out my bow but unfortunately most of my bows are too heavy (draw weight) for him.
    I manage to borrow a friend's 40# DXT for him to tryout he is barely able to shoot it but found out how enjoyable archery is.
    Now he is hooked, he is seriously thinking of buying a new compound bow.
    Of course i advice him to start with a cheap & very adjustable bow which is where my question comes in.
    Which youth bows are good? Draw weight up to 40-50#?
    I really have no experience with any youth bows as i started archery a few years back with a 60# bow.
    And i usually only pay attention to 'Big Bad bows'

A few candidates i can think of is Diamond Nuclear Ice, Diamond Razor Edge, PSE Chaos, Bear Apprentice.
    But i have no idea which is what.

Also heard a suggestion from my friend that a Bowtech Soldier is a good adjustable bow, but what is the draw weight & length range?
    Can't find it on the Bowtech website anymore.
    I always thought Soldier is an adult bow so not sure on that.

I think i'm gonna buy a youth bow and loan it to my nephew, until he graduate to adult bows or he can afford his own bow.
    Current Bows : 2008 Bowtech Guardian Testarossa 60#, 2008 Bowtech Allegiance Testarossa 60#, 2011 Mathews Drenalin AP 70#, 2011 Mathews Z7 Xtreme Lost 70#, 2012 PSE EVO Skullworks 70#, 2011 PSE Omen Pro Mots 70#, 2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo Black 60#.

Look at the Mission line from Mathews.......Menace, Craze, Riot.
    2010 Destroyer 350
    Blk Ops riser Camo limbs
    71# - 29.5dl

The Razor Edge is a bow that is easily adjusted with out a press and will go 19" - 29" draw and 30# - 60#.
    You don't say how old he is so if 30# is too much you can get a Razor Edge that peaks at 29# also then later on upgrade it to the 30# - 60#.
    That's a pretty good adjustment range and will last him until he's ready to buy his own bow.
    Hard to out grow a bow with that much adjustment.
    We got one for my grandson and he loves it. We started the # at 30# for him last year and now he's up to 45# and I think he'll be up to 50# by this coming up deer season.
    We sell a lot of them each year.
    Good Luck
    RIVERSIDE ARCHERY & RANGE
    SUMAVA RESORTS, IN

Quote Originally Posted by bukfever2 View Post
    The Razor Edge is a bow that is easily adjusted with out a press and will go 19" - 29" draw and 30# - 60#.
    You don't say how old he is so if 30# is too much you can get a Razor Edge that peaks at 29# also then later on upgrade it to the 30# - 60#.
    That's a pretty good adjustment range and will last him until he's ready to buy his own bow.
    Hard to out grow a bow with that much adjustment.
    We got one for my grandson and he loves it. We started the # at 30# for him last year and now he's up to 45# and I think he'll be up to 50# by this coming up deer season.
    We sell a lot of them each year.
    Good Luck
    He is about 15, think right now he can shoot 30-40# comfortably. Seems like Razor edge is a good one.
    Current Bows : 2008 Bowtech Guardian Testarossa 60#, 2008 Bowtech Allegiance Testarossa 60#, 2011 Mathews Drenalin AP 70#, 2011 Mathews Z7 Xtreme Lost 70#, 2012 PSE EVO Skullworks 70#, 2011 PSE Omen Pro Mots 70#, 2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo Black 60#.

Razor edge is a good bow. The soldier is no longer produced. I have a few left on the shelf though. I am not sure on Bowtechs policy on shipping outdated bows. I have to place a substantial order (substantial for my small shop) and when I do, I will ask them if you are interested in a soldier.
    Wabanaki Wilderness 207-853-0949

String SNOT & Arrow SNOT For sale!! <-------Click here to BUY!!

Authorized Retailer for BOWTECH, DARTON, DIAMOND, ELITE, MATHEWS, MISSION & PSE

the mission craze
    15# to 70# DW
    24" to 29" DL
    80% LETOFF
    $299.99

Also Parker has a grow with you bow program. www.parkerbows.com
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter http://www.athensarchery.com/home 2012 Athens Recluse-----2013 Athens Judgement
    Perfection Turkey Calls ProStaff
    Straight N Arrow Staff www.snaarchery.com
    bcbowdesigns.com, Trinity Archery Field Staff---- Hamskea Archery Shooting Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Yawna-GO View Post
    Look at the Mission line from Mathews.......Menace, Craze, Riot.
    I got to agree. Just saw these bows yesturday. Adjustment from 20 to 70lbs WOW
    If I buy another youth bow the Mathews will be my choice.

Purchased a Bowtech edgefor my nephews kids but sure wish I would have got the Mathews
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Check out the Winchester Thunderbolt, try to go see one in your area.. Great quality,light weight (what a kid needs), adjustable up to 50# or so. Tunes easily.

Check out the BowTech Assassin SD. DL 22.5"-27", you can get limbs in 40, 50, 60, 70 lbs. My son who is 11 just bought one in 40lb limbs which he has turned down to 28. He also shot the Diamond Razor Edge and preferred the Assassin. For a 15 year old I suggest the 50lb model that can be turned down to around 38lbs and will more than enough unless of course his DL is longer in which case I suggest the regular Assassin.
    Oak Ridge Archery, Dead Center Archery Products, Gold Tip, Vapor Trail

Pse rally is a good option.