Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kuiu Reviews from the Season

Kuiu Reviews from the Season

Well, now that we have a big game season down, for the most part, lets hear some reviews (good or bad) from those who purchased Kuiu for their hunts. The marketing job was great, the product makes sense and the brand seems to be growing. So from those who used Kuiu this year, what are your thoughts?

Does it compare to Sitka?

Does it do what it was designed to do?

How does it breath?

What is the durability?

Lets hear some feedback.

This past season I used the following Kuiu stuff:

Merino Wool base layer bottoms, both weights
    Beanie
    Neck cover/balaclava
    Spindrift Jacket

I used them on some serious backcountry elk hunts and midwestern whitetail hunts. They were all awesome!

The base layers dried super quickly and controlled temps really well. I could use them for about 3 days of intense hunting before they stunk

The jacket I used under a shell. It was super for lightweight warmth. In a cinch bag, it shrunk down to almost nothing, but still kept me warm.

I used Sitka Gear Mountain Pants and gloves and vest, and loved those as well.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

I used the following this year elkhunting:
    Guide Jacket
    Attack Pants
    Medium Weight Merino Top
    Heavy Weight Merino Top
    Rain Gear Top & Bottom

I used all of it on my elk hunt, but only used the rain gear for about 1 hour.

Everything was AS ADVERTISED. I'll be buying another pair of attack pants and another set of tops before next year. The jacket and pants were REALLY
    good. The pants are the best hunting pants I've ever worn... unbelievable. Tough, stretchy, almost waterproof, very breathable, comfortable as all get out,
    and dry amazingly fast. Same goes for the jacket. I almost never needed anything warmer under the coat b/c it was about perfect, seemed to let me keep
    cool when I was humping it hard, and kept me warm when it was cold and I was not moving. I felt like both were pretty quiet, more than quiet enough for
    elk hunting.

The merino tops were great. Wicked sweat well, dried pretty fast, and in combination with the Guide jacket, did a fantastic job of temp regulation.

The rain gear was good, but I really can't give a great account of it b/c of it's VERY limited use.

The attack pants were crazy good though.

-ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

I understand supply and demand....But, how does a company plan to stay in business when they're SOLD OUT of almost everything all the time. I've been waiting months for a pair of pants....

Quote Originally Posted by str_8_shot View Post
    I understand supply and demand....But, how does a company plan to stay in business when they're SOLD OUT of almost everything all the time. I've been waiting months for a pair of pants....
    They just sent me an e-mail saying the atack pants were back in stock.
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

Rain gear is the real deal. My old man uses the pants every day in the woods of western WA and he thinks they may last a full year. He loves them. This is an amazing accomplishment for him. Lol.

The pack is not for me. Too easy to break the CF frame and very uncomfortable with heavy loads.

The merino wool had been great. Just as nice as my Superwool and a camo pattern that I really like.

Next order for me will be attack pants, gloves, gators, set of rain gear and Spindrift jacket (maybe).
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

I have not used it, but my partner did and his review was good for the items listed. He has sitka as well doe's not seem that he favors one over the other. I'm still a sitka fan.

Attack Pants
    Morino wool top
    Jacket I forgot the name of filled with down

The attack pants were awesome. This was my first departure from cotton in August-September. The breathed and were extremely comfortable. They were also durable...had a few branches scratch my legs, but no tears on the pants. They also are very water resistant.

I can't really compare to Sitka because the only sitka stuff I have is some traverse gloves.

I used a bunch of different KUIU stuff all year. My thoughts:

Merino 185 top - Super comfortable, no itch, Breathes well, dries fast, minimal odor. This is the only merino I have used so I can't compare to other merino. Way more comfortable than Sitka Core synthetic though. I always reach for the KUIU as my base layer now and my Core top sits in the closet. I've washed the top probably 7-8 times and there are a couple of small holes appearing near the collar that appear to be stress tears from backpack straps and possibly washing. Hopefully it continues to hold up overall. This may be typical for Merino, I'm not sure.

Attack Pants - what everyone else says is true. Really comfortable and a pleasure to wear. Unfortunately were a little too warm over the summer month, but they are my go-to pants outside of June-July-August. The fit is head and shoulders above the closest Sitka comparator, the 90% pant. Sitka pants are cut very oddly in my opinion. They bulge out at the knees and are tapered at the ankles. I gather that this was done to allow mobility in the knees while minimizing the amount of material used in the pants. The result is that they look funny and don't cover your boots very well at the cuffs. The KUIU pants fit like a normal pair of pants, and this works just fine for me. The simple cut of the KUIU pants (and the generous length) trumps Sitka's experimental cuts and "aggressive articulation" in my opinion. I only wear my 90% pants now if I really want to be in the optifade pattern.

Guide Jacket - Nice polyester jacket with simple no-nonsense design. Minimal zippers, pockets, and drawcords. I wear this jacket all the time, hunting or not. It is comparable to other high performance soft shells from mountaineering companies. I think the big difference is that they really tried to keep the weight down (hence the minimal bells and whistles). Does have pit zips which is nice. I would have preferred adjustable cuffs, but this would add some weight. Overall it is just a good solid jacket. Not blown away by it, but no major complaints. Compared to other hunting jackets though, I'd say its a clear winner. Another big plus for this one is the price - you wont find another softshell of this quality for this low a price.

Spindrift Jacket - standard Primaloft jacket - surprisingly warm for its weight. Biggest difference here is the simplicity of design - like the Guide jacket, there are no extra zippers, pockets etc. This is the big difference from the Sitka Kelvin. The Spindrift also uses the higher grade Primaloft One, whereas the Kelvin uses the Primaloft Sport (presumably this affects the warmth to weight ratio). I'd take the Spindrift over the Kelvin, particularly since, once again, the price is unmatched on the KUIU. It really is a fantastic deal for a Primaloft jacket.

Chugach pants and jacket - in keeping with the KUIU design philosophy, these are simple no-nonsense, minimalist designs. No problems at all with the waterproofing. Breatheability is typical (not that great - just like Gore Tex). Pants seem a little more rugged than the jacket which I like. I would prefer beefier cuffs on the jacket, but again this would add to weight. They say the Toray Dermizax this stuff is made from outshines Gore Tex in terms of waterproofing and breatheability. Can't say I've noticed a big difference, but I will say that the Chugach feels much nicer than any Gore Tex jacket I've encountered. Gore Tex tends to be more crinkly and plastic-feeling in my experience. The Chugach is softer and quieter (though not completely silent). Its possible that there are quieter Gore Tex jackets out there, I'm not sure. Again a huge factor here is price. A similar-performing system in Gore-Tex will set you back many hundreds of dollars more than the Chugach. Why pay more?

Guide gloves - Decently water resistant, very tough durable palms. Little bit of insulation. Nice close-fitting gloves with good dexterity, perfect for a misty fall day. I prefer as little glove as possible over my hands, so my go-to glove is my Sitka Shooter (very close fit and super dexterity). When it is a little colder and wetter, the Guide gloves are my next stop. A little more protection and no problems handling bow, rifle, shotgun. A good glove to have in your arsenal for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by str_8_shot View Post
    I think it is because they get their fabric from Japan and a little title wave hit there and things got back ordered... Or so I heard...

im starting to look more and more at this stuff... even though i think the camo pattern is ugly.

Its quite a bit cheaper than sitka... but still a ways away with my 40% discount.

Any sitka users that can chime in on the switch?

Id get a few pieces of both but i like to match! And seeing how i can get sitka even cheaper im thinking of just going that route as of now.

I hunted Mule deer, Elk, Mountain Goat (BC), and Brown bear (AK) with this gear and it performed flawlessly. I'm pretty hard on stuff and if it's not quality made it won't last. Mine looks as good as the day I bought it. I have used the following items;

1. Attack Pants
    2. Guide Jacket
    3. Chugach Jacket & Pants (Rain Gear)
    4. Spindrift Jacket
    5. Vest
    6. Guide Beanie
    7. Merino wool neck gaiter & beanie
    8. Gloves
    9. Climbing belt

Jason is a great guy and has really set the bar when it comes to hunting clothes. I don't think you'll
    be disappointed in KUIU, I'm definitely not.

I also own quite a few clothing items from Sitka but I think KUIU has better overall quality IMO! I also like that you can buy direct from KUIU
    which saves the customer $$$!
    Hoyt G3 Element

2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo on order

Aim Small Miss Small

I have used Sitka and Kuiu extensively and I prefer Kuiu every time.

Here's a few things to think about.

If you look at the fabric, price and fit from both companies it won't take long to realize that you're getting a better product from Kuiu for a lot less money.

Don't get me wrong, Sitka makes a great product and I've used it on many hunts, but the price point is very high, and when you have another company offering as good or better products for half the price it's an easy choice.

If you could by a set of binoculars that were equal or better than Zeiss or Swarovski as a fraction of the price, you would jump on that deal without hesitation.

Kuiu also does a much better job at listening to the customers needs and laying everything out in front of you so you know exactly what you're buying.

Here's a link that explains why Jason's material of choice was Toray and why it works so well.

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2012/01/16...ray-advantage/

the one reason i really want to try kuiu is it seems they really stand behind thier products. Iv been hearing some bad stuff about sitka. Maybe ill just mix it up.

I keep seeing price come up alot as a reason to go kuiu over sitka. What if price was a moot point, as it is for me with the discount. Would you guys still choose kuiu over sitka?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboi View Post
    the one reason i really want to try kuiu is it seems they really stand behind thier products. Iv been hearing some bad stuff about sitka. Maybe ill just mix it up.

I keep seeing price come up alot as a reason to go kuiu over sitka. What if price was a moot point, as it is for me with the discount. Would you guys still choose kuiu over sitka?
    I'd still buy KUIU. Like The Elk Reaper stated they listen to there customers and use no smoke screens. The main reason KUIU was started because Sitka wanted to cut corners and use lower quality standards for their clothing, but still charge the customer maximum price. I can't wait for the 2012 stuff to start appearing. I've already pre-ordered the gaiters their coming out with.
    Hoyt G3 Element

2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo on order

Aim Small Miss Small

I can get Sitka at cost and I would still choose Kuiu.

Like I said, it's not that Sitka makes a bad product, but for me and the way I hunt, Kuiu is a much better option.

If you're looking for whitetail and duck hunting clothing only, than Sitka may be a better choice.

i will definetly be buying sitka's whitetail line, most likly ill mix and match kuiu and sitka for everything else

Gotcha....

The whitetail market is something the Sitka caters too much more than Kuiu.

what sitka pants would you compare the attacks to as far as warmth and weight goes?

The Attacks would be closest to the mountain pants.

I jumped on the Kuiu bad wagon this spring. I have always went with sitka and king of the mountain wool. We went to Alaska on a spring bear hunt. We took both Kuiu and Sitka gear and my favorite KOM wool shirt. The Kuiu rain gear is the real deal, after spending 8 days on the ocean in a raft and in the rain wearing the kuiu rain gear my little brother was dry as a bone. I wore my older sitka rain gear and didn't stay as dry. Although my older sitka rain gear was quieter than the Kuiu. I was bowhunting so this was a toss up...But being dry is a great thing! lol The attack pants are my favorite pants they are so comfortable you don't even know you are wearing them and they are dirty tough. I am way glad that I tried the Kuiu and will continue to wear it. It doesn't really match KOM wool shirt but oh well, old habits die hard. lol

Another question for you guys. Are the Attack pants 35" inseam? I noticed there website said that they are. I have been kicking around buying kuiu camp. I like the camp scheme and being 6'3" pants can become an issue with most camp companies.
    Elite Answer 70 lb limbs 30" draw
    Sword sights, GT Kinetic arrows, VPA terminator broadheads, QAD ultra rest HD

I've had several peices of Sitka since their first year. (I went to Jason's house when he was selling it out of his garage). This past year, I got several items of Kuiu.(merino top, vest, jacket, pants, Spindrift, and Chugach set). Wore the same outer clothes as much as 8 days in a row. If I buy more hunting outerwear for western hunting, it will be Kuiu. As far as the camo pattern, I was standing next to a tree in timber, and saw a cougar walking through the woods coming in my direction. As it closed the gap to within 13 yards, I began to raise my bow for self defense, if needed, as I did'nt have a tag. At my movement, the cougar stopped and stared at me. I remained motionless, and after a few seconds, the cougar walked on by and never glanced in my direction again. I also had elk within 15 yards, while I was in the open, never appear to recognize me.

Hows the fit on the attack pants for us "medium" sized guys?

I usually wear a size 30x30 in jeans...
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Fulldraw1972 View Post
    Another question for you guys. Are the Attack pants 35" inseam? I noticed there website said that they are. I have been kicking around buying kuiu camp. I like the camp scheme and being 6'3" pants can become an issue with most camp companies.
    http://kuiu.com/sizechart/

Bottoms & Pants
    Body Size Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
    inch cm inch cm inch cm inch cm
    Waist 33 84 36 91 39 99 43 109
    Hip 40 102 43 109 46 117 50 127
    Crotch to Ankle 30.50 77 31.13 79 31.13 79 32.38 82
    -Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast