Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to plant for a food plot in the TIMBER?

What to plant for a food plot in the TIMBER?

I am going to plant a food plot in our timber this year and I was wondering what worked best for you and any suggestions of what to use. You can't get a tractor back to where I am putting it but I am not afraid to use hand tools. lol I saw a guy on tv did some food plot about an acre big by raking the ground and just getting seed/soil contact. I am not afraid to basically use a hand tiller to till a little more than an acre. It is a walk behind deal and will be easy enough to use. I can haul stuff back in there to use on my four wheeler. Let me know what works for you and what you would try. Thanks

2012 Elite Anwer 65# 29" Pimped Red Hades Skulls Spott Hogg Right On QAD HDX Bloodsport HT-2 300 Stokerized SS1 Firenocks Yeti Grips Tight Spot
    2009 Elite Z28 Realtree AP 28.5" Trophy Ridge 5 pin NAP Apache Easton Axis 400
    Quote Originally Posted by L.I.Archer View Post
    Never trust anyone with two first names.

Is it gonna be a somewhat open area in the timber??
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference....Marines dont have that problem." Ronald Reagan
    09 PSE GX6, Sword sight, Limbdriver Pro, Doinker, Easton epicnfused, Muzzy Broadheads
    Deerview Mirror Prostaff

Yeah it will have enough sunlight to grow. I thinks that is what you are asking. I have a pretty good spot in mind and I may have to cut on or two trees to get maximum sunlight but I think it'll be fine. One of those trees is where I want my stand. lol
    2012 Elite Anwer 65# 29" Pimped Red Hades Skulls Spott Hogg Right On QAD HDX Bloodsport HT-2 300 Stokerized SS1 Firenocks Yeti Grips Tight Spot

Rye

clover does well up here as long as you have bare ground
    Come check us out on the largest Wisconsin,Michigan based hunting pages.....[https://www.facebook.com/buckchasers?ref=hl
    https://www.facebook.com/Wi.bowhunters

I have a couple plots tucked away in the timber at my dads place....One is about 2 acres and i put it in beans and then in Sept i'll overseed with wheat and rye grain. The other one is about an acre and the deer absolutely LOVE me for it... I put it in Jumbo ladino, alice white, kopu white clovers. I get my clover seed from Welter Seed in IA. 3lbs kopu, 3lbs alice white, 5 lbs Jumbo Ladino per acre will cost you about $50 per acre and they will HAMMER it.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference....Marines dont have that problem." Ronald Reagan
    09 PSE GX6, Sword sight, Limbdriver Pro, Doinker, Easton epicnfused, Muzzy Broadheads
    Deerview Mirror Prostaff

Clover

For future reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    Just wondering.
    why is everone quoting what another AT member said previously, in everone of their posts,,
    The quotes dont apply to all responses..
    Just curious,' dont want anyone to get their panty's in a wad??

What do you think about throw and grow or premixed stuff like that? I thought about putting a strip of sorghum around the outside or the plot then a mix inside it.

i would get it all sprayed then broadcast clover. then if its doing good by august leave it, but if its too rough shape just spray again and plant brassicas (radish, turnip, sugarbeats) good luck,,,,,another thing that really helps the deer for food and bedding is hinge cutting!
    ELITE Energy 35
    Black eagle deap impacts
    scott Blackhole III

TTT any other suggestions?

If there are not crops in the area alfalfa more forage per acre than clover deer love it just the same.

There are 50 acres of beans this year and the neighbors have corn this year so there is some. I really need something that will draw them out of the corn early in the year and during and november. I was thinking about putting turnips around part of the bean field and and then this plot in the timber. Do you think sorghum around the outside, then a mix of some clover type stuff, oats, and rye would be a good mix. I know it sounds like a lot of stuff but I am now thinking about doing a "Making a food plot for the average man" or something like that. Let me know what you think. Thanks

winter peas will work
    Come check us out on the largest Wisconsin,Michigan based hunting pages.....[https://www.facebook.com/buckchasers?ref=hl
    https://www.facebook.com/Wi.bowhunters

I have several small plots ranging in size from 1/4 acre to an acre in the timber and I've found that clover seems to work the best for me. The throw and grow mix will grow really well but the deer dont really care for it until everything else is gone so if you want something to draw them in, I'd avoid that stuff all together.

Saved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 BOWTECH INVASION 60LB
    2011 HOYT ALPHABURNER BLACKED OUT 29" 70lb(Traded)
    2011 HOYT CRX 32 BLACKED OUT 29" 70lb (Traded)
    BLACK GOLD REDZONE HD SIGHT
    QAD ULTRA REST PRO HD,GOLD TIP PRO HUNTER ARROWS

saved

My buddy tried 3 in the woods hand done plots in NY last year.. did a brassica/radishes, rye grass, and white clover

they all grew in something but the rye did the best and grew the thickest, also put a small water hole in at that one and it saw the best deer, bear, turkey action over the other two plots but it was also the deepest in the woods with the most cover around it.

High protein plants (beans, clover) will do well to help deer antler growth. Corn is a great high energy source for winter months.

I've had good luck with clover, chicory, rapeseed and turnips. I like clover the best. It comes back for many years and only requires mowing to keep it in great shape. It is green right when the snow melts and the deer hit it well into the fall.

I've done it a few different ways, from small tractor to 4 wheeler to walk behind tiller...

Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Steve

food plots in the timber are nothing but headaches, usually hard to maintain. If anything will work it will be clover with turnips mixed in, planted in august. All that throw and grow is mostly junk unless you have premium soil conditions.

MN those are some sweet looking killing plots you have!

I can see all your hard work

saved ttt

Quote Originally Posted by TauntoHawk View Post
    MN those are some sweet looking killing plots you have!

I can see all your hard work
    I wouldn't call them killing plots as I've never shot a deer there (lol) but they are a LOT of work.

They have attracted some nice bucks though...

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast