Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadheads for Wild Boar? Which is best?

Broadheads for Wild Boar? Which is best?

Hello All,

I am planning a wild boar hunt this year and I wanted to get some advice on the best broadhead option. I currently shoot g5 t3 for deer, and I picked up some g5 montecs also with pigs in mind. I have heard that magnus may be a good option? Let me know what you have used that works.
    Thanks
    Trey

hi mate get a good quality 2 blade broad head, less loss of energy.

phat heads,, i know that two blades are prefered by many but a four way cut is more likely to leave a blood trail... and i have found they tend to fly better than 2 blades

Quote Originally Posted by pumba View Post
    hi mate get a good quality 2 blade broad head, less loss of energy.
    x2 magnus stingers

I have used Rage 2-blades and had very good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hogs View Post
    I have used Rage 2-blades and had very good results.
    Depends where you hunt. If it is a fenced hunt, some places don't allow mechanicals.

Hard to go wrong with a Magnus Stinger 4 blade.....
    Elite Energy 32
    HHA....QAD HDX
    Bee Stinger
    Easton Axis
    Ville Deer Contest Team 1....

I have killed a bunch of hogs, and have shot them with t3's,buzzcuts,shuttle t locks, and muzzy they all will work go with magnus tho if you are going to buy one head for just hogs. For a couple reason's good pass thru, you will prob not have to change you set up they fly really well. Last but not least if you bend em brake em or dull them send em in and you get new one's.
    MATTHEW 4:4

BUST A BUCK STAFF

I used a grizztrick on a hog this year and it blew through the hog like butter. They leave an excellent hole and pigs have such thick skin and more fat to clog exit holes.Most fix blades or some of the smaller mech. heads will do the trick..
    ----08.5 ELITE GT500 ----- ASAT- NATION
    TUFFSAK bag targets
    MAGNUS BUZZCUTS /GRIZZ TRICK II /RAGE HYPO

as long as its fixed blade your good. 2 blade fixed is better. and put that in front of the heaviest arrow you can shoot. take a look on you tube for pentration tests on hogs some pretty good eye opening stuff on there

I used 100 grain Magnus Buzzcuts when I went hog hunting back in November. Got 2 complete pass thru shots with them. I'll be switching to them this fall for deer
    Elite Energy 35/Americas Best Bowstrings Staff/Vendetta Archery Pro Staff/Black Eagle Arrows Prostaff/Hamskea Industry Staff/VaneTec Prostaff/TRU Ball/Axcel staff/Bust A Buck Staff

They have NEVER built a wild pig that was suitable for mechanicals.

im taking a hunt over presidents day weekend for hogs. Im shooting slick trick mags but i may throw some razortricks in my quiver instead so ill be shooting a coc.
    PSE Omen Pro Black/Camo 70 lbs # pin BG ascent limbdriver pro v doinker dish
    PSE DREAM SEASON EVO 73LBS 3 PIN TOMMY HOGGWHISKER BISCUIT SURE SHOT OCTANE STAB
    PSE XFORCE HF 6 60LBS EXTREME SIGHT WHISKER BISCUIT
    Elite Judge 74LBS G5 OPTIX XR WB 340 fmj 75 gn brass insert/125BH
    EASTON FLATLINES 400s w/ 100 GRAIN ST MAG AND T3s TRUFIRE EDGE FOLDBACK RELEASE

I shoot tons of hogs with just about everything. You can use plenty of mechs if you just aim behind the shield. You won't get much going if you hit a big boar in the shield. Lungs and midsection will be fine. Just let em lay though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramboarhunter View Post
    They have NEVER built a wild pig that was suitable for mechanicals.
    agree 100%

Shuttle Ts are very good with 41 thousands thick blades.

you have very little room for error on a hog. not much vital to shoot at. the vitals are way up front. you go just a few inches behind the shoulder and your into the guts. I hunt at night and when i hit the big ones with my sniper light you don't have much time. I like the broadside shot. I use heavy equipment for this. a 73 lbs speed bow with a 650 grain arrow and a 2 blade fixed head. have killed some big pigs with set up right through the shield. the shield go's all the way along ribs. it gets thinner as you go back but its there.

I've only shot one pig, but my findings were that there is little reason to switch from whatever you use for deer. I shot mine with a Trophy Ridge Meat Seeker 1 1/2" 3 blade using a bow that only generated 50 ft-pd of kinetic energy. I had to take a knee to make the shot and the pig had fallen over dead before I could even get back to my feet.
    www.franksgreatoutdoors.com
    (989) 697-5341
    Our racks are loaded.

Mathews *** Elite *** Hoyt *** Prime *** Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Don Beaver View Post
    I've only shot one pig, but my findings were that there is little reason to switch from whatever you use for deer. I shot mine with a Trophy Ridge Meat Seeker 1 1/2" 3 blade using a bow that only generated 50 ft-pd of kinetic energy. I had to take a knee to make the shot and the pig had fallen over dead before I could even get back to my feet.
    this is the exact opposite of what I would tell anybody. deer are thin skined small boned animals. hogs are think skined heavy boned aninals. your case is not the norm on free ranging wild pigs

Ive had good results with silverflame xl's in 180gn out of my recurve and compound. pricey but, they are a well made head that comes real sharp and are easy to resharpen. I killed 6 deer and 4 hogs with the same head and it's still in my quiver. I resharpen it after it dig it out of the dirt or roots. shoot em in the elbow. double lung hog can go a long ways. heart shot hog will die very quick. with the accuracy of the wheel bow, no reason not to shoot for the heart. for a really good look at the anatomy of a hog, checkout texaswildboars.com.

Quote Originally Posted by pinwheeled View Post
    this is the exact opposite of what I would tell anybody. deer are thin skined small boned animals. hogs are think skined heavy boned aninals. your case is not the norm on free ranging wild pigs
    Maybe so, but it's true. Bottom line is shot placement. Had my arrow not found it's mark, I'm sure I'd be telling a sadder story.
    www.franksgreatoutdoors.com
    (989) 697-5341
    Our racks are loaded.

Mathews *** Elite *** Hoyt *** Prime *** Bear

Abowyer heads work really well for me.

The Reign bh's are great for hogs
    Despite what your momma told you,
    violence does solve problems

4 blade stingers and snuffer ss are my favorite for hogs

my go to head for everything is the magnus snuffer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast