a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Absolute Warmest Long Underwear...Heavy Weight Silk or Wool?

Absolute Warmest Long Underwear...Heavy Weight Silk or Wool?

I've tried some of the costly high tech. long underwear on the market, which are made of various polyester combinations and construction methods, but even in polar or expedition weights, I still get cold. Next year I'm going to spend more money to try a heavy/expedition/polar weight set of either silk or wool long underwear, since I hear those are the best. Has anybody tried both to give a fair comparison of which of the two is the warmest and driest?

ttt
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

You probably have a circulation problem; but that aside, the Merino wool over the top of silk or UA Coldgear is going to be about the best it gets - unless you just breakdown and get the Heater bodysuit.

wool is best, but layering is key. Im the same way, coldblooded !, and layering does work, when you put enough on you will be warm
    Despite what your momma told you,
    violence does solve problems

If staying warm is the absolute most important thing - go with wool. I wear silk underwear in various weights, but that's because it's breathable and I want something that won't overheat me when I'm working hard.

stationed in Biloxi, MS, from Minocqua, WI
    Quote Originally Posted by Roskoes View Post
    You probably have a circulation problem; but that aside, the Merino wool over the top of silk or UA Coldgear is going to be about the best it gets - unless you just breakdown and get the Heater bodysuit.
    this is my recommendation too....a good skin tight layer to keep heat in but wick away moisture topped with a heavyier layer over the top...has worked well for me in negative temps
    CM2(scw) USN NMCB 74
    2010 PSE omen 28/60, BG ascent 3 pin surge head, LD, anchor sight, cx piledriver hunter .350 w/ fobs,trufire edge 4 ,tightspot, muzzy
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff **chief squaw stealer aka the resident bouncer ***

Get underarmor to wear underneath and grab all the moisture off you skin then put wool over that. You get wool wet and you will feel it until you take it off. With that underarmour grabbing the moisture you can keep dry and warm
    2013 Mathews Creed, Limbsaver Elite Prism Sight, QAD HD Pro,B-Stinger, Tru Fire, QAD Exodus and Rage
    55# Damon Howatt Hunter Recurve
    And a homemade long bow...

I use UA Cold Gear and layer and I dont get cold unless the wind is blowing
    '10 Darton 3800 Pro 28.5" 65#
    QAD Ultra Rest HD drop away rest, Spot Hogg Hogg-It 7 pin, Trinity Archery T3 8" Stabilizer, Red Tru Peep 3/16" peep, Toxic broadheads, Bloodsport HT-1 350 arrows, TRU Ball Absolute 360 release
    Idaho Certified 4H Archery Instructor

I had UA for several years and stayed warm most of the time. If the wind started blowing or I got too hot walking in and started sweating a little then I froze.

I switched over to First Lite Merino Wool this season and will never use anything other then wool. I hunted a lot this past season in 12-55 degree weather and never once got cold.
    Athens Accomplice 32
    29.5"/ 60 lbs
    Athens Factory Staff

Team 26: Double Lung Deerdevils

I second the first lite wool undies. I tryied the red desert boxers in Colorado last oct. Worked very well. Enough so that I went to Cabelas yesterday and bought more. Another pair of boxers, chama top and allegheny bottom. I got the 230 gram ones= mid weight. All were on sale at very good savings.

Just go and get yourself a Warmbag and stay warm all day from head to toe!
    img_0128 (3).jpg
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 30 / QAD / HHA / Easton FMJ/ Gator XP 100 & Ulmer Edge & NAP Spitfire Maxx / Scott releases /Bohning quiver/Meta peep/Swarovski/Zeiss Optic
    DON'T SPREAD MY WEALTH,SPREAD MY WORK ETHIC!!!
    The American Indians found out first hand what happens when you don't control immigration!"

I think it is a no brainer that wool is warmer than poly. Wool resist odor much more than poly, and will keep you warmer if it is wet. For brands, I've got Smartwool, Kuiu, and Icebreaker. I like the quality of the Icebreaker best.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCK MAN View Post
    I second the first lite wool undies. I tryied the red desert boxers in Colorado last oct. Worked very well. Enough so that I went to Cabelas yesterday and bought more. Another pair of boxers, chama top and allegheny bottom. I got the 230 gram ones= mid weight. All were on sale at very good savings.
    I tried the Red Desert Boxer as well and like you bought more. Right now I have a lot of First Lite and layer them together for maximum warmth for the best effect. My current line up consists of:

Red Desert x2
    Allegheny
    Llano
    Chama
    Springer Vest

I look to add the Labrador jacket for next year.
    Athens Accomplice 32
    29.5"/ 60 lbs
    Athens Factory Staff

Team 26: Double Lung Deerdevils

..the kind that WICKS moisture AWAY from your skin....

Under Armour in conjunction with -33 Deg. Merino Wool
    #60 Hoyt Vector Turbo MAX-1, #60 Hoyt Alphaburner Blackout
    #45 Hoyt Ruckus, TradTech Pinnacle #43 Kaya Carbon Limbs
    Whalen's Hooker Releases & Bowfinger PRO Staffer
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersP...0?feature=mhee
    http://www.youtube.com/user/realtubular?feature=mhum

Buy a liteweight and a heavyweight merino wool long underwear. I have both Minus 33 and Justin Charles. Both are good choices as are others. Then buy a good merino wool sweater and you will be ready for about any conditions. Wool is just far superior than anything else at keeping you warm. I actually cut the sleeves off at the elbow on my sweaters and it helps reduce arm bulk and my forearms don't get cold anyway. Your answer is wool,wool and wool with an outer layer that stops wind.
    "winners and losers are self determined but only the winners are willing to admit it"
    " you don't have to be on a southern plantation to be a slave, if you are dependent on government entitlements you just have a different slave owner"

Quote Originally Posted by goatboy View Post
    Just go and get yourself a Warmbag and stay warm all day from head to toe!
    img_0128 (3).jpg
    I'll stick with my wool. I have a hard time picturing myself as a 6'3" long, 200lb burrito hanging off of a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchersParadox View Post
    ..the kind that WICKS moisture AWAY from your skin....

Under Armour in conjunction with -33 Deg. Merino Wool
    This combo kept me warm right through the 2nd to last day when I finally got my '11 buck. (November in PA fyi)

Merino wool.
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.