Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting cow pasture land any good?

Hunting cow pasture land any good?

Have a opportunity to lease about 275acres but it has cows on the property not a whole lot of timber a strip of timber going through the middle. Other than that lots of other field edges to hunt on. Not sure what to think..worth pursuing or not? Will try and attach aerial map tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Depends on where it is located.

That's the type of property I shot my nice 9pt on this season. The cows didn't bother me at all, and quite frankly I saw more deer there than anywhere else the past 5 seasons. When I first looked at the land I didn't think that much of it, but after hunting it, I couldn't wait to go back. I shot my buck on the ground at 6yds with a crossbow. He had no idea I was hiding under/up against some overgrown brush and I ambushed him where 2 trails connected. Never hunted the place before and shot him within the first 1 1/2 hour of hunting. Talk about luck!!!

My uncle and I were headed home after spending the day in the woods and seeing nothing, came to a 4 way stop, I looked up and saw a big doe standing in a fenced in pasture with four or five horses, had never seen anything like that......we both had a good laugh

Cows and deer generally do not get along well. I had a lease in kansas ruined when the rancher "forgot" he had left my section full of his calves. Imagine driving 1300 miles to see that sight. Thank god we had an additional 1/4 section that was phenomenal. 640 acres leased with nothing but cow poop and coyotes. The year before it was full of deer.
    Predator in the woods

It depends on how many cows are on the property, how the property is configured, how often people are out there checking on the cows, and what time the people are out there messing around. Generally I try to avoid hunting around cattle, but some properties can still be pretty productive even with them around.

Depending on the other variables, that strip of timber you referenced could be an excellent deer funnel. Does it lead from bigger timber to a food source? Is there any water on the property?

depends on the amount of cattle. i have never seen deer bothered too much by cattle but if there is alot of cattle, this generally means the deer won't have much to eat due to over grazing. it really depends on how well the land owner takes care of his pastures.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7
    - Spot Hogg Hogg-It Wrapped 5 Pin Sight
    - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 Rest
    - Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stab /w Doinker QD
    - Trophy Ridge Arrow Cage Quiver

i used to hunt ground that had cows run through it, i went out and found better spots.

sounds exactly like my one of my fields i hunt in northern mo. cows dont seem to bother anything and they give me something to watch when i get bored

the best rut hunting piece of property i have ever seen was cattle pasture with timbered draws running through it, very few deer lived there but looking at it on google earth(topos when i was there) showed you how it linked several blocks of large timber in three directions around it. that place flat out came alive in the blink of an eye making it the ultimate rut hub for the area. it blew me away the first year when late oct hit and bucks just starting showing up everywhere.

look at what is surrounding the piece you are talking about and see what links up to it.

I acquired a pastured section this year, found some of the biggest rubs I've ever seen along a fence line. I can't wait to hang some cameras in there this summer and see what's running around in there. To make it even better the farmer tilled up about 75-80 acres of set aside to plant crops right it the middle of the section. I'm pumped to hunt this area next fall!
    Strother SX Rush
    Limbdriver Pro V
    Boss Hogg
    Injexions
    Exodus

I used to hunt a farm that was big hardwoods that bordered up against cattle pastures. The woods were on one side and about 600 yards away was a crop field. I saw tons of deer on those sits but very few shooter bucks. The post above about tree lines linking bigger patches of woods would be ideal for bucks cruising but if it's nothing but pastures it'll be tough to get to your stands without every deer in the area watching you.
    "And God was with the boy, and he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow."

Genesis 21:20 ESV

fantastic for turkey if the deer aren't there.
    Mathews HeliM-
    "One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted"

I lease a 320a pasture,...it is an awesome place. Last season was the first time to hunt it. It has alot of spring water, a wooded creek bottom and other timber pockets,..plenty of cedars, thickets, big rolling hills,.. everything but crops,..nearest crops are about 3/4m away. the rancher pulls his cattle by Nov. 1,...this past season, 2 hunters had encounters with a buck that may very well net boone, as well as seeing several other decent bucks. 1 hunter, was walking from his stand back to the truck about 11am, the beast had bedded between him and the road. it was an up close and personal encounter from about 30'. another hunter watched him walk by at 70y around 930 am about a week later. this hunter also had a really good buck in range,..but the buck never presented a shot,..staying behind a small osage tree, Deer typ. dont winter there alot,..but with this mild winter, they seem to be sticking around.
    >>>>>-------Team 25------------->......BLOODTRAIL BROTHERHOOD......
    1911 is faster than 911,....
    There are no real rules about posting.
    There are no real rules about moderation either — enjoy your ban.

Ha! That's all there is in Montana. If the cows are still there I've noticed they effect deer movement on my uncle's farm. The deer will go into the same fields as the cows if the cows just got put there that day or sometimes in the rut. But usually they keep seperate when they're a lot of cows.
    The edges are the best. Find an trail leading to the open and hunt next to the door.
    Its hard morning hunting like this because you'll spook deer moving into position. I usually go on a spot stalk mulie hunt in the am then go for the field edges for an ebbing gig for whitetails.
    Don't be afraid to leave the tree stand if you can't find a good spot for one. Natural hides on the ground can vet you very very very close!

It can be pretty good deer hunting in the draws and thickets where cows wont go and deer will funnel.

Great turkey hunting though

I don't let them bother me, pretty much around here there's gona be cattle. My avitar buck lives in cattle country.
    2010 Ben Pearson TX-4 Limited Edtion R2B2 QAD Rest Trophy Ridge Mantis Guide Series TRU-GLO Deadenator XS TR 4banger Easton Flatlines Wasp Jak-Hammer
    The Lil Ladies Bow

Hoyt VICXEN Whisker biscuit TR V-3 TRU-GLO Deadenator XS Apex BC quiver Carbon Express Mayhems, NAP HELLRAZORS

Here is a aerial. Let me know if this is worth looking at?

HUNTING.jpg

I'd take a hard look at it! My brother had permission to hunt the same type of property for 2 seasons. No one else wanted to hunt there and he saw tons of deer and shot some good ones!

Norm

If there aren't too many cows, it could be a great opportunity.

If the cows are on the property when you are hunting it will drive you nuts. If it's sectioned off where the owner will keep them away from the tree row during deer season I might think about it.
    Darrall Dougherty

Looks like a great property based off that aerial...great property. Some serious funnel action going on there.

looks great if anything a rut spot for sure.
    reezen 7.0 67#@30.5 409gr--304fps
    340 65#@31' 409gr--311fps

We hunt pasture land. Great for turkeys, dont see much deer there. It has a river running through it so its good for waterfowl too.
    Electric Pink Mathews Jewel 50lbs, 25"

I would say with the bigger timber to the south it would be worth hunting.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast