Archery Talk Forum banner

Carbon Matrix RKT or Insanity CPXL

4K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  weatherbyman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am in need of a new bow this year (mainly for hunting) and I can't decide between the new Carbon Matrix RKT or the Insanity CPXL. I like the speed advantage the CPXL has over the Matrix but I wonder if it is as smooth shooting as the Matrix is. I see there is also a big price jump from the CPXL to the Matrix. All things considered (especially price) which would you guys go with?

#2 ·
For me, that's a tough one. I love the look of the carbon riser if it's black, but I also really like the CPXL too. I know that both are sweet shooters, although I have not shot the Insanity, with probably less vibration in the Matrix. Also, Hoyt is known for great quality, but BowTech is lacking in that area right now, as far as limb peeling goes. However, the peeling issue is not widespread, and if it doesn't bother you, I would go with the CPXL for the money. JMO

#6 ·
You need to shot both, what one shooter calls smooth might not be to the next guy.

x2 on the Insanity for the tuning and speed.

#7 ·
Like posted above, you will have to shoot both and decide. They are both great bows but it's still up to your on which you shoot the best.

#8 ·
Shot both- had my heart set on an element this year. The Insanity is unbelievable smooth to draw for that speed and dead on the shot, kind of fun to shoot. It does feel heavier obviously, but makes up for it on the shot- also as Karbon stated very easy to tune. The only thing holding me back is the limb finish thing- the shop had one (black ops) for 2 weeks and the finish was flaking off the edge. Who knows how much it was shot in that time. Just hung up on buying a $950 bow with that going on. Other than that I think it is the best I've shot this year.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the good info guys. I have shot the Hoyt but I have to drive 2 hours to shoot the bowtech (which I will be doing tomorrow). Just wanted to see what you guys had to say about them first.

Does anyone know for sure what the sticker price is on a CPXL? I heard it was rumered to be around 1K.

I see a few of you say the Bowtech tunes up easier then the Hoyt. Can anyone explain further why the Bowtech tunes easier then the Hoyt?

Thanks again for all the help.

#26 ·
It's not that the Hoyt is hard to tune, I've had alot of Hoyts and they all tuned easily...It's just the Overdrive Binary Cam on the Bowtech is easier to fine tune since it has split yokes top & bottom it's just easier to get all the cam lean out and tune the center shot better. As far as hunting bows go the Bowtechs probably have the best cam system on the market it you like to tweak on stuff and get it just right.
I haven't shot the new Insanity or the RKT Matrix, I had a 2010 Matrix that was an awesome shooting bow...I still think from a tweaking standpoint the Bowtech is on top though.

#11 ·
Shot both side by side about 2hrs ago, CPXL hands down. Drew better at 70lbs no dump, held better, less vibe,put a small stab on it and what little vibe there was, gone. And faster, balanced better(no tip forward or backward) it balanced better than the CPX also, with less vibe. What else, had a far better grip, oh and less money, what more can I say. One more bow to check out before I buy.

#12 ·
I don't know what all these "tune" easier comments are about the matrix? My matrix was poppin bullett holes with a lizard tounge in about 20 minutes from the time it came out of the box from Utah! Today I'm close to 1000 shots in and the top cam is less than an eigth out. I think some of the folks on AT are "tinker toms" and are making assumptions about a bow they have never shot for long. I have not personally shot the Insanity, ( I will be doing so in Gainsvilles ASA tomorrow) you have to decide for yourself which bow is best for you. Its hard enough to decide which bow to shoot much less listen to opinionated people such as us!

#14 ·
I've owned so many different bows It isn't even funny. And the more I try, the more I lean toward the bowtechs just because I can tune almost everything on these bows. Don't get me wrong. There are alot of nice bows out there. But if you like to tinker and tweak to get em just right the overdrive system just shines alittle brighter. If you just shoot em like you buy em, theres lot of choices out there.

#19 ·
I'm also looking at these two bows, Hoyt Carbon Element & bowtech Insanity CPX. Love the durability of Hoyt in the backcountry, but also like how the Bowtech shoots. I've owned bows from both companies & it still seems each have their own unique attributes I like.

#22 ·
Insanity, PSE Evo7 and Hoyt Carbon Element --- all very good bow. That shows you what good competition does! There was a time I would not give a penny for PSE or Hoyt. They all upped their game. I personally stick with Hoyt and BowTech - Hoyt being my personal preference for slamming down the big ones! You will LOVE your new Insanity bow. They are a great bow.

#25 ·
Go with the Bowtech if you don't mind junk limbs..................CM RKT is a far superior bow..............

#27 ·
I would go with the Hoyt... I have shot both and I thought that the Hoyt had a better feel to it.

#28 ·
It has been my experience that the Carbon Element with rkt cams seem to hold their speed better at lower draw lengths than do the binary cams on Bowtech's Insanity. Of course, Hoyt makes special cams for those of us not blessed with 29 or 30 inch draws....My money went to Hoyt, and I have owned several Bowtech's over the years.... (Allegience x 3, Tribute, Guardian, 82nd, Admiral, and an Invasion), so you can't say I am a "fanboy". I have found the Hoyt easy to tune, unlike others here seem to think....and as for vibration, there is NONE in a Carbon Element. ZERO. Dead quiet, too...

#29 ·
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101590261404200714603/albums/5694141735562645489 -- again my personal preference is also Hoyt... but BowTech and PSE are not crap bows. That is a personal opinion and NOT fact. The real issue is that every manufacturer had problems with limbs. I remember when Hoyt blew up all the time... I remember when I had my share of BLOWTECHS vs. BowTech and I remember when PSE was a joke of a bow and bow company... not so any more. Shoot what you like and feels best. NEVER conform to a bow and NEVER let loyalty to a flipping company dictate your bow or style. I remember when I said, "I WOULD NEVER OWN A HOYT"... now Hoyt is my all time favorite and I see very few bows that can match the quality or performance but in the end my decision was what fit me best, felt the best and seemed the better quality.... and to me for 2011-2012 Hoyt has "EARNED" my loyalty. From 2006-2008 it was BowTech and 2009 to 2010 Mathews. Now I own Mathews, BowTech and Hoyt. Mathews z7 and Safari, 85lbs, 80# Hoyt Carbon Element and the Element smokes them all. Still will always pick up my custom BowTech (2008) when I wish to out shoot my buddies in 3-D. For distance out to 80 yards I choose my Hoyt CE RKT and blow them all away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.