a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Best fletching glue?

Best fletching glue?

Im going to start fletching my own arrows and was wondering what the best glue is for the price? I will be using either rayzrs or blazers.

Thanks!

Loctite ultra control gel works for me

i agree with nitro1970, locktite gel works for me with arazona easy fletch !
    curtis
    martin onza 3 , rytera nemesis
    pearson legend , pearson advantage, pearson marxman

to carbon i use loctite also, aluminum another story
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

I use Easton glue.. never had a single problem!
    2- 2010 Elite Z28 black/ ...
    2010 Elite XLR
    Nok'd Up Archery Staff Shooter
    DaVinci Bowstrings, TRU Ball, Gold Tip, Bohning
    U.S. ARMY Operation Iraqi Freedom VET.. STAND BEHIND OR STAND IN FRONT OF US...

Flex Bond of course.............
    2014 Elite Energy 35 Xtra #70/2013 Elite Answer AP #70/B-Stinger 10.25 APG 8 oz.
    TightSpot APG / Easton ACC Pro Hunter 340/ 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips
    Tru Ball Beast Release/ HHA DS-5519/CBE Tek Hybrid / Limbdriver Pro-V

I've had great luck with both Easton glue and the locktite gel.
    for some reason I do not have good luck with Goat Tuff.
    '10 Elite Z28 60# Limb Driver, Vital Gear Startrack, Anchor Sight, Octane stabilizer
    '11 Elite Hunter 71# G5 Expert Pro, Anchor Sight, VBG sight, Stokerized
    '12 Elite Answer 60# Ninja, Elite Stokerized
    All 27.5" DL

The type of adhesive isnt the critical aspect, all of the high end adhesives like loctite, gorilla glue, easton etc are all excellent. The keys to successful fletching is climate control (65% humidity and 70 to 75 degree temp.), This reduces any blooming from super glue fumes. Glue control, less is more, using a very small needle like tip to apply a very small bead works best. Glue viscosity is the next aspect to consider, glues between 800 and 1200 Cp work best and if you find a rubber toughened adhesive choose it over a standard adhesive. Adhesives within this viscosity range give you minor gap filling properties that assist in an even bond along the entire length of the vane. The most important aspect is prep, shafts need to be clean, vanes need to be clean. We wipe shafts with alcohol then apply a super glue primer to the vanes. The primer does two things, it causes the vane to bond more quickly and it increases the strength of the bond. Currently there are two primers on the market, Flex Fletch has Zing and Vantec has a new kit out called an arrow smith kit that includes vane and insert adhesive, a 2 oz spray bottle of primer and a few packets of a new thread locker for field points and it works well on all sight, rest and bow screws.

If you choose to fletch feathers with super glue a 2500 to 4000 Cp or a gel is best. Primer isn't needed on feathers the porous surface of the feathers foot works very well with super glues.

One thing on blooming, all standard super glues produce fumes and in high humidity the fume will gather on the shafts in the form of a white powder. If you cant control the humidity you can limit or eliminate the powder all together by placing the arrows in front of a fan until dry.
    Last edited by SouthShoreRat; February 7th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
    The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
    Friend Of BowFreakz Forum
    The Best Hunting Arrows In The World, Guaranteed!
    www.SouthShoreArcherySupply.com

has anyone tried a brush on loctite or krazy glue?

AAE Maxbond is where it is at!
    Darton Archery Factory Staff Shooter - Check out the upgraded Darton DS-series at
    www.dartonarchery.com

VaporTrail Archery Platinum Staff Shooter - Looking for micro-adjustment in your rest? Check out out the NEW VaporTrail Micro-Elite Rest at www.vaportrailarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
    Loctite ultra control gel works for me
    this is all you'll ever need ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Turtle View Post
    AAE Maxbond is where it is at!
    Ditto. I do have their Max Clean as well. Currently doing some testing whether or not I have to go through the added cleaning steps. Would be much quicker not to have to do the Max Clean and run tap water on it. Than wait for it to dry.

I do lightly sand the shaft and clean dust off with De-Natured alcohol. If that proves to be enough pre-fletch steps... will make it all easier/faster.

Thankfully we still do mainly feathers. Good ole' Bohning Platinum is more than enough.
    Mathews Z9 (No Cam HTR ordered) - HHA Slider - Trophy Taker Pronghorn Pro - B-Stinger Stabilizer - Tru-Fire Edge - Grim Reaper Fatal Steel 125 - Gold Tip Kinetic XT - Trueflight Feathers (Always)... _ 2 kills with Mission Dagger XB - Gold Tip Laser 3 - HHA Optimizer XB scope & adjustable mount system_ ___ - _____ Facebook: Hunters Choice Archery Pro Shop

Quote Originally Posted by SouthShoreRat View Post
    The type of adhesive isnt the critical aspect, all of the high end adhesives like loctite, gorilla glue, easton etc are all excellent. The keys to successful fletching is climate control (65% humidity and 70 to 75 degree temp.), This reduces any blooming from super glue fumes. Glue control, less is more, using a very small needle like tip to apply a very small bead works best. Glue viscosity is the next aspect to consider, glues between 800 and 1200 Cp work best and if you find a rubber toughened adhesive choose it over a standard adhesive. Adhesives within this viscosity range give you minor gap filling properties that assist in an even bond along the entire length of the vane. The most important aspect is prep, shafts need to be clean, vanes need to be clean. We wipe shafts with alcohol then apply a super glue primer to the vanes. The primer does two things, it causes the vane to bond more quickly and it increases the strength of the bond. Currently there are two primers on the market, Flex Fletch has Zing and Vantec has a new kit out called an arrow smith kit that includes vane and insert adhesive, a 2 oz spray bottle of primer and a few packets of a new thread locker for field points and it works well on all sight, rest and bow screws.

If you choose to fletch feathers with super glue a 2500 to 4000 Cp or a gel is best. Primer isn't needed on feathers the porous surface of the feathers foot works very well with super glues.

One thing on blooming, all standard super glues produce fumes and in high humidity the fume will gather on the shafts in the form of a white powder. If you cant control the humidity you can limit or eliminate the powder all together by placing the arrows in front of a fan until dry.
    Very good info. Thanks for sharing. I have noticed that humidity does have an effect on the bond.
    Deer tremble when they hear my name

I ain't no pimp.

saunders NVP

Tried 3-4 different popular brands, and they were OK, but I wasn't 100% satisfied. I finally asked my pro shop what they use. Easton Quick Bond and I have never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by fletched View Post
    Very good info. Thanks for sharing. I have noticed that humidity does have an effect on the bond.
    We have a humidity controlled room where we do our fletching, it stays @ 65% year round.
    The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
    Friend Of BowFreakz Forum
    The Best Hunting Arrows In The World, Guaranteed!
    www.SouthShoreArcherySupply.com

I have started using the Bohning double sided tape. Has been working great feathers or vanes.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthShoreRat View Post
    We have a humidity controlled room where we do our fletching, it stays @ 65% year round.
    Not sure I could find a humidifer big enough to keep the humidity level at 65% We get excited when the humidity reaches 45% in our home thats with a Humidifier running 24/7 30-35% in the shop.
    Operator of "The cutest little archery shop in Wyoming"

Who knew this is where we would be the first time somebody stretched a string on a stick.