Thread: Mathews Heli m vs 2012 Mathews Z7 Extreme?

Mathews Heli m vs 2012 Mathews Z7 Extreme?

What is everyones preference between the two bows? i made the trip out to my local bow shop test out a few new bows. I fell in love with these bows and unfortunately i cant not get both :P so i have to pick one. I just dont know which one to get. I noticed the Z7 had less hand shock. Both were amazingly smooth and i couldn't tell which one was smoother. Both were about the same speed. The Heli m was obviously lighter but doesn't make much of a difference for me.

if you had your choice, which bow would you get and why?

I personally like the Helim alot better, it feels smoother to me and I like the draw stop on the helim. The Helim sits better in my hand, I think due to the Z7 being more top heavy. But if you ask 10 diffrent people you will give 10 reasons why thye like one better than the other, so good luck on deciding which one is for you.

Extreme, less vibration and feedback in my opinion. Both shooters though!
    If you are thinking too much, you are moving farther from the X
    Believe in Jesus= Happy, happy, happy.......
    Hoyt Alpha Elite 2012 Black out 60#26"
    Bullseye Kettle Corn
    "It hits the Spot!"

Extreme
    2013 PSE DNA, HHA Optimizer, Tight Spot, Gold Tip Hunters, Grim Reapers, Ridgerunner Sling
    2014 TenPoint Shadow

Z7 Extreme hands down

I shot both last week and both are pretty sweet but the extreme fit me better

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I tried to log in on my iPad.Turns out it was an Etch-a-Sketch and I don't own a iPAD

I dont know, you should see what they say on the thread about four posts below this one with the exact same title hahaha.

in all reality i really liked the heli m, didnt shoot the other though

JOe

z7 xt. owned helim sold it. More hand shock and it looks cheap compared to other Mathews IMO. it's light though.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, AXT A.X. Driver One , Easton DaTorch, Rage Titanium
    Hoyt Pro Edge Elite, Axcel Achieve CXL, Easton Fatboys

Helim smoother if you ask me but z7 held alot better at full draw. I however shot both of these and was set on them then i went and shot the Elite answer and that changed my mind real quick.

Have both, just got HeliM yesterday. First shots with a buddy over last night and both shooting the same bows... our first impressions were not the same. He immediately liked the HeliM, was sold on it, and had no real complaints. I thought it was OK but for sure thought it was a stiffer pull than the Xtreme and I thought it had considerable more hand vibe and noise.

I had read a lot on the HeliM so we came in, removed the "Harmonic Light" at the bottom and replaced it with a brass Harmonic. Then we turned the string stop 180 degrees and put a little pressure on the string with the rubber. Next shots were night and day, felt like the Xtreme and was now as quiet as the Xtreme. Now, I still think the HeliM is not as smooth as the Xtreme, but the more I shot it the more I liked it and my Xtreme is on AT Classifieds for sale and partly because I wanted a 70# bow.

To each their own, shoot what you like.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX Black Ops 29.5/70 - HHA DS-5510 w/3rd Axis, QAD HDX, Octane BalanceX, Batam, G5 T3, GoPro
    2013 American Eagle Bows Prototype Shooter 30-50#- Oneida Black Eagle built by American Eagle Bows 30-50# (Bowfishing)
    2012 Mission Menace (Bowfishing) Lot's others...

Quote Originally Posted by jb-hunter View Post
    Have both, just got HeliM yesterday. First shots with a buddy over last night and both shooting the same bows... our first impressions were not the same. He immediately liked the HeliM, was sold on it, and had no real complaints. I thought it was OK but for sure thought it was a stiffer pull than the Xtreme and I thought it had considerable more hand vibe and noise.

I had read a lot on the HeliM so we came in, removed the "Harmonic Light" at the bottom and replaced it with a brass Harmonic. Then we turned the string stop 180 degrees and put a little pressure on the string with the rubber. Next shots were night and day, felt like the Xtreme and was now as quiet as the Xtreme. Now, I still think the HeliM is not as smooth as the Xtreme, but the more I shot it the more I liked it and my Xtreme is on AT Classifieds for sale and partly because I wanted a 70# bow.

To each their own, shoot what you like.
    Now you stated you sold it partly because you wanted a 70# bow, would you have kept it or went the route of the xtreme if it was 70 # as well

I prefer the Z7 Xtreme

if your getting vibration with the helim? replace the riser silencers. Mathews lighened them up using alloy. We popped in the old brass ones from older mathews bows and the vibration disappeared...

Quote Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
    Now you stated you sold it partly because you wanted a 70# bow, would you have kept it or went the route of the xtreme if it was 70 # as well
    It would have been a tough call, I am a sucker for the latest and greatest and I did tune the HeliM much quicker and easier than the Xtreme and I do like the sold back wall of the HeliM. Still would have been a toss up.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX Black Ops 29.5/70 - HHA DS-5510 w/3rd Axis, QAD HDX, Octane BalanceX, Batam, G5 T3, GoPro
    2013 American Eagle Bows Prototype Shooter 30-50#- Oneida Black Eagle built by American Eagle Bows 30-50# (Bowfishing)
    2012 Mission Menace (Bowfishing) Lot's others...

Well I shot them both set up exactly the same (checked the draw weight of each on the scale and the length on a board) one right after the other. I really liked both. One of the biggest reasons I chose the heli-m was that at full draw the peep on the xtream was like 3 inches from my face due to the shorter ATA. I know everyone talked about More hand vibration on the heli-m but IMHO its minimal, slap a good stab on and you're good to go.
    Hoyt, Elite, PSE, Bowtech, Mathews, Prime I want them ALL!!!!

I just recently picked up a Helim. I had an Extreme last year and I like the helim way better. Its lighter of course but the extreme felt top heavy to me. I like the draw stop on the Helim as well.

only issue I found is the Helim is SLOW.. Played with the timing and its not getting IBO.. maybe about a 320fps bow is more like it..

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie_00 View Post
    only issue I found is the Helim is SLOW.. Played with the timing and its not getting IBO.. maybe about a 320fps bow is more like it..
    I am getting very close to IBO. 305ish with 380 CX Maxima Hunter 29/70.

I was back and forth here...but I spent another go at the heli-m this week. Though I like the draw stop and ATA. The Xtreme is more to my liking.
    SH Archery & Custom Bow Tuning
    Dealer for Bowtech, Elite, Bear, and PSE
    2014 Bowtech RPM

helim the way to go. bow is extremely smooth and accurate. I have not noticed much Handshock. but I have a axion 5 inch stabilizer on mine. love the bow.
    Mathews 2012 Helim 70#, 30 inch draw
    Vapor Trail Limb driver pro V rest
    Easton St Axis 340 arrows
    100 gr 1 1/8 SLICK TRICKS!!
    N.O.A.H. Pro-staff

I liked the xtreme better also

I love the Xtreme I think its quieter
    Elkoholic

Im getting 300 FPS at 28.5 70# 383 grain arrow...11 FPS for arrow weight, 15 FPS for draw length and 3 FPS for loop. That = 329 IBO. Not to bad IMO

It only matters to YOU,I just did the same thing,but chose the extreme,the hrli was not for me,too light,i couldn't hit the same spot at 10 yards ,i have 3 robin hoods with my extreme in 2 weeks all at 25 yards. I like most mathews but hated the z7 and don't like the heli either.