Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are peep sights really necessary?

Are peep sights really necessary?

So I got a alphamax 32 today in a trade and it didnt come with a peep sight. I wanted to shoot it so bad I went ahead threw a whisker biscuit on and flung a few arrows. Although I only shot at 20 yards I had 3 arrows touching. So is a peep sight necessary or was it just luck that I shot a few times and they were touching?

Aim Small Miss Small

Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes they are.
    Speed is fine. Accuracy is final.

I think you can do ok with only a kisser but without both I dont think you will be consistant.

Practice, practice, practice! I know guys that shoot without a peep and the shoot very very well! I think it takes getting used to and a solid anchor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Prime Centroid
    Athens Accomplice 34
    HT-2 350's
    HHA DS
    Limbdriver Rest

No, they just look really cool.....................
    2014 Elite Energy 35 Xtra #70/2013 Elite Answer AP #70/B-Stinger 10.25 APG 8 oz.
    TightSpot APG / Easton ACC Pro Hunter 340/ 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips
    Tru Ball Beast Release/ HHA DS-5519/CBE Tek Hybrid / Limbdriver Pro-V

No, but they are for me.

Yea I was just wondering because I have shot with a peep all my life and so when this bow came I just wanted to shoot it and not wait for a peep. I just recently switched over from shooting one eye to shooting with 2 eyes open.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Get yourself an anchor sight.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

Fita recurve shooters hit less than five inch diameter ten rings at 90 meters consistently without one.......
    Charter Member LOFT Archery Team
    Vantage Elite +
    Sureloc, Britesite Protuner, X Terminator Stabilizers
    60X Strings, Truball Sweet Spot, Thurman Scopes, VAP Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Unclegus View Post
    Fita recurve shooters hit less than five inch diameter ten rings at 90 meters consistently without one.......
    If it was legal bet every one would of them would have them. Only the top few are in the 10 at 90 meters consistently
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

I tried not using a peep and struggled. I also tried the hind sight and didn't like it. I'm using a meta-peep 3/8". I would love to go peepless tho.

Quote Originally Posted by kjwhfsd View Post
    If it was legal bet every one would of them would have them. Only the top few are in the 10 at 90 meters consistently
    And if nitrous was legal in NASCAR, everyone would have that too. What's your point?
    Charter Member LOFT Archery Team
    Vantage Elite +
    Sureloc, Britesite Protuner, X Terminator Stabilizers
    60X Strings, Truball Sweet Spot, Thurman Scopes, VAP Bullets

I have never used a Peep and have killed many whitetails without one so I would say that they are not required. I shoot a hindsight and before that shot a recurve only for 20 plus years with no sights.
    Venison its whats for dinner
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

No peep sight, or no kisser, you'd better have flawless, repeatable form....I know I don't...
    Give 'em a squeeze!!! Self check often! Save the Ta-Ta's!!!!

Yea I need a kisser button. I just started using one on my rampage xt and it's cool how much something like that helps you.

Aim Small Miss Small

Ttt

Aim Small Miss Small

I make several sets of strings a year (friends and family) and shoot them in before installing the peeps. Not really much difference as far as I can tell.

I think good (repeatable) form is the key. A poorly placed peep can wreck your form.

That said, I always use a peep. I don't think I really need it, but I use it.

Best of luck to you.

Southwest Wisconsin/ Southeast Monroe Cty.
    When I first shot the Craze that I bought (at 15 yards) I shot six arrows, last four really close to the bull with just a rest and a D loop (no sights at all), so yes it helps no it's not necessary, back when I started in archery we shot recurve bows, and there was no such thing as a sight........and we killed all kinds of critters.
    The difficult I do with ease, The impossible takes longer!!!
    Mission Craze, QAD Ultra HDX, Axion 5pin micro adj. sight, Axion stab, Korbins custom strings, CX Maxima Blue steak250s @27 3/4" 27DL 63# DW.

I shoot without a peep or kisser. Been doing it for several years. Each year I talk myself into going back to a peep to improve my accuracy. I can't see any improvement, so I usually take it off. I shoot a lot though and only hunt.

try some white serving thread on the string at eye level
    maitland zuess 60# 2011
    destroyer 350 70# 2011
    hoyt powertec 90# 2006

For me they are necessary. I've killed deer without a peep and just using a consistent anchor and a couple facial touch points. But I'm far more accurate and consistent with a peep, and even better than when using peep elimator devices. I also use a very, very small kisser button. Can't have too many reference points.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

Guys here love bashing the Peep Eliminator ... but fact is it works!

Tell me this is not good looking also > https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...90668567295169

Bottom line it works, works well and that comes from a string peep user and Anchor Sight user..... Actually I use all three as they have specific purposes.

They just work and people hate change so they stick with old school string peep sights.

People have the most stupid ideas of change from a peep sight and come up with a whole crap load of excuses to not even try one of these... of all the "Peep-less" options this is the best!

Corey
    Corey B. James weatherbyman@weatherbyman.net
    ON THE WEB:
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Element RKT 27/80# - .340 Easton FMJ's @26.625" - 408 gr. 317 FPS
    2011 Hoyt Alpha Burner 27/80# - .300 Radial X Weave STL Hunters @26.625" - 408 gr. 323 FPS - Fast for an "old bow"

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...eep+eliminator

Peep Sights are NOT necessary to accuracy or maintainable Anchor Points. PERIOD!
    ON THE WEB:
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Element RKT 27/80# - .340 Easton FMJ's @26.625" - 408 gr. 317 FPS
    2011 Hoyt Alpha Burner 27/80# - .300 Radial X Weave STL Hunters @26.625" - 408 gr. 323 FPS - Fast for an "old bow"

I prefer to hunt without a peep sight. They do help accuracy, but I've had some poor experiences with one, and have had no trouble without.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by BOW BUM View Post
    I prefer to hunt without a peep sight. They do help accuracy, but I've had some poor experiences with one, and have had no trouble without.

B.
    Ditto! I even hunt w/o peep, peep eliminator or Anchor Sight. It is all practice in the end. If you shoot long bow and recurve you know what I mean.
    ON THE WEB:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast