a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Expandead mechanical

Expandead mechanical

Has anyone had a chance to pick up or try these new expandable heads? Look pretty interesting. Made by Sanford Innovations I think.

Working on testing...so far so good but weather has been against me for much testing to get done
    Wyvern

Looking forward on your thoughts. They look pretty strong. Hope they stay closed in flight consistently, even though they claim to fly well even if open.

I have played with one at my desk for awhile now. I do like the design and I am a bit concerned about how well its going to spin from head to head. The piston / ferrule as a little play and if one pushed on its side it might be slightly out of line causing wobble {worse thing possible} BUT this still is not actual shots just playing with the mechanical design. I am also very interested in what if any there is a breaking / engaging point were the blades fully deploy. There is a big difference from Brand X 320 FPS and Brand Y 400 FPS. That can be harder to test for when you don't have an high speed camera. The O ring part of the design is very well done. It is well protected and still is serviceable if replacement is necessary.
    Owner of THS Sporting Center located at 1504 Military St, Port Huron, MI 48060 810-985-4082 www.thssportingcenter.com

Tim, when they're closed do they rattle or are they tight? thanks
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

hmmmm...i dont know it looks like it may be flimsy...will be interested in seeing it. I did notice the broadhead that looks exactly like the slick trick razor trick.
    Strike Zone 350, Hawke XB30, Gold Tip Lazer III, Lumenoks, NAP FOC Broadheads

Is it ... better than a Spitfire? Simple question that is the FIRST thing that goes through my mind. "Is it better than a Slick Trick?" or mechanicals ... "Is it better than a Spitfire?" So far, in eight years I have never seen a broadhead that is.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

It looks a lot like the Meatseaker by Trophy Ridge....

Quote Originally Posted by randyxx75 View Post
    Tim, when they're closed do they rattle or are they tight? thanks
    Rattle no. Move slightly yes but you have to push on it. PLEASE keep in mind this is only ONE head. I am waiting for the shipment of them to come in to look at an entire lot of them.
    Owner of THS Sporting Center located at 1504 Military St, Port Huron, MI 48060 810-985-4082 www.thssportingcenter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalasports View Post
    hmmmm...i dont know it looks like it may be flimsy...will be interested in seeing it. I did notice the broadhead that looks exactly like the slick trick razor trick.
    There fixed head would/could be compared to a Slick trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Is it ... better than a Spitfire? Simple question that is the FIRST thing that goes through my mind. "Is it better than a Slick Trick?" or mechanicals ... "Is it better than a Spitfire?" So far, in eight years I have never seen a broad head that is.
    Defiantly different blade deploys. This design might be better on some shot angels. The Spit Fire does over center extremely well and my favorite head is the NAP FOC 170 but that not for everyone either.

H&S,
    I use both the FOC and the X-bow Trick. Lost no deer or bear to either. Last deer killed with FOC, 38 yds on Dec 19, 2012, fell in it's tracks, dead, BUT one of the blades broke off in deer - 1st time ever with a Spitfire. I've killed appx 45 deer and 1 bear with Spitfire and lost only 1 doe, the 1st year Spitfires came out( the short lived original 2 blade). In all these years, this is the first broken blade but massive blood on other side of the deer. FOC is my current pick and will likely remain that pick.

I've been testing. No real opinion so far, but testing continues.

Whats everyones conclusion on their testing?

Quote Originally Posted by tjohnson53 View Post
    It looks a lot like the Meatseaker by Trophy Ridge....
    Jep, it does look like Meatseeker...And meatseeker fly great out of 380fps and stay "locked" with 1 rubber band. It flys like F.P. and does not rattle.

milan.

ttt for conclusion

I'm also waiting to hear more details.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavethetools View Post
    I'm also waiting to hear more details.
    I guess nobody wants to share

I recently messed around with them at a dealer. (I was unable to get the last season due to supply issues.)

Expanded broadhead was designed by the same individual who designed the Meat Seeker. (Sold to, and now sold by Trophy Ridge)
    I don't see any rattle or looseness (unlike the meat seeker) which make slight noise in quiver when shooting.
    Blades are legal when closed. (can be locked closed and shot that way)
    They seem rock solid and very rugged for expandable blades. (appear to be much more rugged/substantial then Meat Seeker)

The angle of the blades (closed) seem to stick out a bit more then shown on website.
    But as long as they fly like Meat Seekers, I think I'm going to hunt them this fall.

On thing: I hope they come out with a 2in. 3-blade design, as I have had excellent results on deer with the 2in. Meat Seekers.......

Also, the 2 inch Meat Seekers have a rounded (parabolic shape) that "floats" as it enters game.....
    In some tests I reviewed, because of this, the 2 inch blades actually penetrated further than 1.5 inch Meat Seeker blades, as they don't open as wide/lock when hitting bone etc... IMHO, 2 in. Meat Seekers do a great job on Deer, but I can't comment on larger game.....

Massive bleeding, and exit (bleed) hole in all deer I shot thus far with Meat Seekers. (Arrows w/ 2in. Meat Seekers did not always completely exit deer, but they always cut a respectable hole all the way through.)
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

I love his meetseeker 2 inch 3 blade.....that thing is the bomb! Blows away rage ....I shot plenty with rage....shoots better and blasts bigger holes in deer....when expanded makes a two inch cut with offset blades I will try some.....

Trying to reinvent the wheel again I see ........Gary

Quote Originally Posted by brad k View Post
    I love his meetseeker 2 inch 3 blade.....that thing is the bomb! Blows away rage ....I shot plenty with rage....shoots better and blasts bigger holes in deer....when expanded makes a two inch cut with offset blades I will try some.....
    I agree with them being very good for deer and hoping for a 2in. 3-blade ExpanDead.
    But how did you get rid of the "rattle" of the heads in the quiver? (That's the one thing I don't like about the 2 in. 3-blade MeatSeekers.)

My friends hear them rattle when we're target shooting. (I leave them in my quiver during the fall while practicing.) I can (for the most part) quiet them down by pushing them deeper into the foam, but they eventually loosen up just enough (in quiver) to "buzz" at the shot..... ~They vibrate/sound like "something is becoming loose" on the bow. (which we originally thought was the case)
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

trying nap foc this year after i get my bow shooting speeds i want think it will be devastating, is put together like a tiger tank!

I have never shot any bow or crossbow with the quiver on it.....just my own preference that's all....keep my quivers in my pack...