Thread: colt recurve?

colt recurve?

Has anyone heard of a recurve made by colt firearms? It is 58" and 50#'s at 28". My friend brought it over for me to try. It's in new condition. He said it was his fathers. It has blonde wood and black limbs. I have some 2117 aluminum arrows, and was wondering if I could shoot them.

O;le -

Ben Pearson made bows for Colt Firearms. The hand both target and hunting bows. So, basically most were pretty good shooters. Could you shout a 2117 from a #50 bow, sure; but I wouldn't too heavy and too stiff. The old BP shot well, but weren't terribly fast, 1916s would be a better choice.

Viper1 out.

check and see what you are drawing on the bow 28=50pds 29= around 55 depends on the bow then check with a arrow chart for the right arrow your 2117 will fly if you are pulling 28 or 29 in and the arrows are no longer than 29 you can go to easton.com and they have a arrow chart that can help make sure you look it up for recurve bow ,compound chart will be different they should have a couple of different arrows you can use and show the arrow weights the right arrow size can make a BIG difference on the way a bow shoots,

Colt bows

Go to Archeryarchives.com and click on Colt bows. Most of them are listed there.

colt bows

Thanks for the info guys, I checked my draw, and it seems if you mark the arrow at the end of the shelf I get 27".

I've heard that Browning made the target bows and the Huntsman Hi-Power for Colt, and the other models were made by Pearson.

Like Viper said.

2117 will be too heavy and too stiff. 1916 or even 1816 if you draw 27". Pretty common to find old recurves in vintage condition in closets or attics. Have someone check limbs and string before you shoot it! John

Quote Originally Posted by ole timer
    Has anyone heard of a recurve made by colt firearms? It is 58" and 50#'s at 28". My friend brought it over for me to try. It's in new condition. He said it was his fathers. It has blonde wood and black limbs. I have some 2117 aluminum arrows, and was wondering if I could shoot them.
    I would suggest 1916 as a good shaft for you.

Congrats!
    I have been looking for a nice colt for some time but quality evades me

Back in the 60's my Dad was a Colt dealer. A couple of years ago, he gave me back my old Game Master complete with the Kwiki quiver and home made cedar arrows with Hilbre broadheads that we made together. Just like I had it when I was a kid. I shot it a couple of times and put it away in my glass display case. Lots of great memories with that bow. I will never shoot it again. Too much at stake. If that bow broke I would never forgive myself. I have new bows now and have to make new memories.
    Best piece of new hunting equipment I ever bought---
    That new string of pearls for my wife just before I left!
    ______________________________ ______________