a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Best Silencers

Best Silencers

Need to take the twang sound out of my recurve. What are the best silencers for this? Also where is the best place to get a new string?

For the traditional look, nothing beats beaver fur (beaver balls). A lot of materials can work. I've used rubber Cat Whiskers (Work, not pretty) and thin nylon rope, both with good effect. A lot of guys on here have used yarn and found it to be a good silencer, too.

There are a lot of places to get string. I have been getting mine from 3Rivers lately, and have nothing negative to say about them.

Cheers,

Patrick

only place I know of for a string is chad weaver. I use black yarn for my silencers on my trad bows.
    New Breed Cyborg
    High Country Conquest
    Toelke Chinook
    Samick Sage
    DRT Broadheads by Dirt Nap Gear www.dirtnapgear.com

I am using the Matthews monkey tails and they are also not very pretty but they go on real easy and they do work.

My choices are wool or bever fur

Strings three rivers or Las

I like beaver
    Despite what your momma told you,
    violence does solve problems

Best is subjective to what you want, want to look the part, beaver, or another type of fur will get you there like no other, want it to work best, well catwhiskers followed by wool yarn.......and for the string, Chad Weaver at Champion Custom Bowstrings, makes primo strings at a great price, and has also made two videos about making flemish strings.........The man cares about the strings he makes and doesn't just throw them together to get a check........

beaver is best from what I can tell - it lasts longer than anything else I have tried and it works just as well as any other

YEP....Nothing like a piece of tanned beaver on your longbow.....

I just put about 10 strands of cat whisker between my string bundles and serve them in. It's quick, easy, and you only need a little to be very effective. No loss in arrow speed whatsoever.

Yarn puffs and beaver fur look so much better though.
    Hi, my name is Bryan Miller and I'm a Toxophilite
    Drinkin' da kool-aide...

Want to take the twang out...well...shoot a heavier arrow...lol...lol...lol...They are all pretty good...I like to add a wrap of wool from the string loop down about 7" as well..this helps a great deal too...and real easy to do..

Mac
    Earl Hoyt Hunter Supreme 64" recurve. . 66lbs. Soon to have Centaur Hunter Supreme long bow...

Where is the best place to buy beaver fur online?

you can get them at most archery supply stores - Lancaster has them, 3 Rivers has them

Yarn wool puff string silencers are what is on my both of my recurves strings now.

I prefer the performance of catwhiskers overall...but much prefer the looks of fur.

I had some beaver balls on a couple of years ago and got caught in the rain up in the mountains and they did end up holding water...which effected the tune of my equipment pretty noticably when I did some stump shooting.

Ray

i like the wool silencers and on wrap on the ends of my string.

Check this out to make wool puffs
    http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw...=30&CATEGORY=9

Quote Originally Posted by tarantula View Post
    I am using the Matthews monkey tails and they are also not very pretty but they go on real easy and they do work.
    This.....Jim
    Those who separate Politics, and Morality, will never understand either one....John Viscount Morley

All I use it catwhiskers, one strip per end.

Another vote for wool puff's - I have yet to find a better silencer. Now if your hunting in the wet or stickers - that's a different story.

I noticed a difference in noise, speed, and feel when I switched to a SBD string from Pierre. He also put the little hush deals on the string. I also use navajo wool as puffs
    I have nothing negative to say about SBD strings. Great experience for sure
    NATIVE FLAKES FLINTKNAPPING

I tried rubber cat whiskers. They were noisier than my yarn wool puffs. Even after cutting the length down (halving the length) on the cat whiskers, they were still noisier than my wool puffs. This is why I use yarn wool puffs on both of my recurves.

I use beaver balls on my Montana, and just took cat whiskers of my Grizzly because they made a strange noise on the shot, plus like has been said before.. they just don't look that good (not the reason I removed them at all, but I never did like the look of them). I just put in some Limbsaver Super String Leeches on my Grizzly. Pretty quite, but I will wait until I shoot with someone else around to tell me how they sound (or hopefully don't sound!) since we all know your bow is always loud to you when you shoot it because it is right next to your ear. Looking for something that doesn't hold water like the beaver balls or get burrs like crazy!

I have used beaver fur (beaver balls), otter fur, yarn balls, and cat whiskers. They all are good at quieting the string, but they are all heavy. A heavy silencer causes the loss of a small amount of arrow speed. The best silencer I have ever used, the one I have been using for several years, is Qiviut (Musk Ox wool). It is extemely light and extremely effective at silencing the string. However, I must warn you that they shed fibers during the first hundred or so shots. I would not install a new set and then go hunting. Unless you want to be enveloped in a cloud of fibers making you easier to see and reducing the probability of a second shot. You can get them from 3 Rivers Archery.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4411