Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pa. Pope & Young Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
    Nice bucks but I dont think youre telling the full story here. You live almost in Ohio and if youre hunting near home youre hunting the richest WMU in the state for killing a big buck. Believe me, Ive hunted from one end of this state to the other and your odds where you are hunting are 5-10 times better than anywhere else in the state.
    Actually here is the full story. The county I live in Beaver is ranked 21st in the state. Since 2000 Bradford is #1 located on the New York border than Berks located in Philly area

Top 10 counties all time for record-book bucks:

1. Allegheny: 177

2. Westmoreland: 134

3. Bradford: 123

4. Berks: 102

5. Chester: 82

6. Schuylkill: 77

6. Somerset: 77

8. Crawford: 74

9. Washington: 71

10. Fayette: 64

Totals and rankings for some other counties: Beaver and Butler, 61 each, tied for 11th; Indiana, 53, tied for 17th; Armstrong 35, 29th; Greene 31, 35th; Cambria, 30, tied for 36th; Lawrence, 25, tied for 45th.

Top counties since 2000
    Top 10 counties since 2000 for record-book bucks:

1. Bradford: 66

2. Berks: 49

3. Allegheny: 43

4. Dauphin: 39

5. Westmoreland: 28

6. Chester: 26

6. Schuylkill: 26

6. York: 26

9. Lycoming: 21

10. Lehigh: 20

Totals and rankings for some other counties: Washington and Indiana, 18 each, tied for 11th; Somerset, 15, tied for 15th; Fayette 13, tied for 21st; Beaver, Greene and Cambria, 10 each, tied for 28th; Armstrong and Butler, 9 each, tied for 32nd; Lawrence, 6, tied for 44th

Read more: Archers reaping benefits of Pennsylvania's spike in trophy bucks - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1ptq01QHo
    With age your purpose will become clearer

I think this says a lot...

"Atop the rankings now -- and fueling this second big-buck boom that began in 1980 and is still peaking -- are counties thick with suburbs. Allegheny County, for example, has given up 173 of its record 177 trophies, or 97 percent, since 1980. Berks County has given up 83 percent of its trophies in that time, Westmoreland County 69 percent."

I for one cannot even remember that last time I saw a Pope and Young buck spotlighting let alone hunting. There are nice bucks around in central pa but the dream of a PY is just that, a dream. Pretty bad when you can't see one with the spotlight. A 100" buck is a nice buck around here, I know zero people who can consistently kill a buck of that size around here.

those are some nice bucks, and glad to see Pa. restrictions working. I wish Va would do something a little more strict. They did go to a 4pt. on one side rule this past year, but thats for your 2nd buck. You can still shoot whatever on your first.

Any state can produce awesome deer with the proper management.

No matter what the ratio is, or the history of the area you're hunting, YOU still have to do the work to get a shot at those nice deer,then make the shot count. I can't hold it against someone who happens to be able to hunt in one of those areas. Nice shootin'.
    Yes, I am a big fan of our antler restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot43 View Post
    No matter what the ratio is, or the history of the area you're hunting, YOU still have to do the work to get a shot at those nice deer,then make the shot count. I can't hold it against someone who happens to be able to hunt in one of those areas. Nice shootin'.
    Yes, I am a big fan of our antler restrictions.
    I agree no matter where you live in the state it takes alot of hard work and dedication to locate and harvest a big buck. Rarely do I hunt the same area's from year to year. I spend late summer and early fall trying to find a nice buck and getting permission to hunt. My family had owned a cabin in Medix Run, Elk county since the early 60's and sold it recently after my father death. There is no doubt the hunting is not what it used to be, and the state needs to cut back on the doe permits in alot of the central counties.

Shoot, keep quiet about it... Lol.. Ohio public land is pitiful now. Hoping it passes
    Id turned into a (expletive) liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jack rabbit."
    -Marcus Luttrell

way to go. I wish Michigan would adopt the same program!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter R1.20 www.athensarchery.com
    Wac'em Broadheads Pro-Staff www.wacemarchery.com
    Trinity Archery Pro-Staff www.trinityarchery.com
    Portage County Outdoors Pro-Staff www.portagecountyoutdoors.com
    Trophy Ridge Pro-Staff www.trophyridge.com

Lawrence co

Sent via smoke signal

thats a great job.. im trying to get a nice one off state gamelands its not easy to do.

I have the same question as Greenecj, Mr. P&Y6. I am about to pick my first bow ever up tomorrow, and I can't wait to start shooting. I live in the Pittsburgh area, and don't even know where to start hunting city deer. I know I see a ton of them around the housing projects. I will bowhunt my northern and central rifle areas for a day or two for sure, but I would love to be able to kill a few hours killing a city doe or two to fill my freezer. Any advice?

Those are great deer. What month did you shoot the 2011 buck? I'm working on a project and looking for good deer, with good stories, killed in October.

Quote Originally Posted by WAF4011 View Post
    I have the same question as Greenecj, Mr. P&Y6. I am about to pick my first bow ever up tomorrow, and I can't wait to start shooting. I live in the Pittsburgh area, and don't even know where to start hunting city deer. I know I see a ton of them around the housing projects. I will bowhunt my northern and central rifle areas for a day or two for sure, but I would love to be able to kill a few hours killing a city doe or two to fill my freezer. Any advice?
    I have never hunted in Allegheny county Pittsburgh area. I mainly hunt the rural counties around Allegheny. Best advice I could give you is scout hard to locate a mature buck, and committ to that buck 100%. Hunt everyday you can from dark to dark during the rut. Hunt high in your tree 30-35 feet for me, that will greatly improve your chances. I don't believe you can overhunt a stand, only underhunt it. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Redneck View Post
    Those are great deer. What month did you shoot the 2011 buck? I'm working on a project and looking for good deer, with good stories, killed in October.
    The 2011 buck was not killed in October, but the first and third buck in the picture were taken in October

Pope & Young bucks1.jpg

Here are 2 of the 6 I have in PA for P&Y. Next pic i s going to be in soon.

PA archery 2011 2.jpg

Ninja, those are great bucks, congrats! What does that last buck score?
    2012 PSE Bowmadness 3G
    2010 Athens Accomplice 34

Thanks
    Green Scored Net 190 5/8". At the taxidermist now. I will get a dry score soon.

Quote Originally Posted by archeryninja View Post
    Pope & Young bucks1.jpg

Here are 2 of the 6 I have in PA for P&Y. Next pic i s going to be in soon.

PA archery 2011 2.jpg
    Ninja those bucks are truly Pa. Giants. Great job.

Ninja, will that last buck be a new PA state record? Is it a typical? It looks to be. Nice!
    2012 PSE Bowmadness 3G
    2010 Athens Accomplice 34

Quote Originally Posted by superslamsam View Post
    Ninja, will that last buck be a new PA state record? Is it a typical? It looks to be. Nice!
    If its a typical it is definitely the new state record, I saw the buck killed a 2 or 3 seasons back here in lycoming county that missed the state record by 3 or 4" and Ninja's buck dwarfs that thing!
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by archeryninja View Post
    next pic i s going to be in soon.
    PA archery 2011 2.jpg
    holy stud!!!
    Mathews Switchback 29.5"/70#
    100gr. Wasp Jak-Hammer SSTs
    Spot Hogg, Hogg it sight
    WB

Quote Originally Posted by P&Y6 View Post
    I took my fifth P&Y buck in Pa. this year since the antler restrictions. Two grossed over 160 and one grossed over 150 Pa. is fast becoming a trophy hunting state.
    I took my first buck this year also scoring in p&y here in goold ol pa. Antler restrictions have brought it a long way and im seeing so many big deer this year. Now if we could only stop the poachers! Congrats on your bucks though
    BowTech Insanity
    HHA, Limbdriver Pro-V, Stokerized,
    DCA arrows, Tight-Spot quiver

What county did you shoot this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12