Thread: ranging tlr 75

ranging tlr 75

Has anyone ever used one of these as a range finder? I know its not laser but you can get them for pretty good deals and I am really just looking for something to help me learn to judge distances.

I would say that work fair at best. +/- 3 yds is about as good as I was able to make out with mine.

In low light, you can forget about using them at all.

Save your $$$ and get a laser. You will not be disappointed.

Burlington, Washington ( Northwestern corner of the Evergreen state)

Thumbs up

Newshooter,
    The Ranging tlr 75 is an excellent, low priced rangefinder and it will indeed help you learn to judge distances! I use one myself and I even use it for hunting purposes.
    The trick in hunting applications is to arrive in your hunting area, get setup and then use the rangefinder to pick out items a different ranges, that way whichever direction an animal comes in from you will be ready for your shot.
    Too often we get in the rut of having to have The Most Expensive, Most Up-to-date and newest items that we totally forget that a lot of the lower priced, older technology is just as good.

Dick
    2 Canon, 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash

It works well like GPR said to pre-range objects around your stand. When I get in a stand for the first time, I pick out trees, rocks, fence posts etc. and get the ranges, then when the animal comes in, I have a pretty good idea of the range. For the price, it works very well. I've had the same TLR-75 since 1993.

I had a laser first, and bought the TLR75 later. When I bowhunt, the laser stays at home. +/- 3 yards is good enough for bowhunting... Well maybe not with the drop from a Matthews, but with anything else... (<--THAT'S A JOKE, IN CASE YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF A SENSE OF HUMOR TO RECOGNIZE SUCH THINGS!)

I like to pre-range, and with the laser it's difficult to range without having a very prominent object to pick up. With an optical ranger, it doesn't matter.

newshooter05

Give me your address and I'll put this one in the mail for you tomorrow.
    Enjoy it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by linedime; March 29th, 2005 at 11:23 AM.

Sound skinda fishy? You will send it to me for free?

Well, I'll post it for sale if something free sounds fishy, especially when you didn't have to pay anything for it.
    Last edited by linedime; March 29th, 2005 at 12:24 PM.

LOL, sorry I didnt mean to sound rude...It just seemed odd to me...Not many nice people out there who are willing to just give stuff away...I'll PM you my address here soon..I gotta run to lunch real quick...do you happen to have the instruction book and stuff needed to calibrate it? Thanks!

Ranging Range finders do work but they are hard to use sometimes and it seems you cannot get the same results twice. To be accurate within 3 yards is something I sort of question but it could be in ranges up to 40 yards. Anything over this and I am not sure if the scaling is fine enough. Assuming this is true, you need to check the accuracy of the laser range finders that are being sold. They are not plus or minus inches but FEET! Is the Ranging less accurate than a laser? I suspect it is because of the difficulty to make it repeat a reading but not that much. When you judge 3D ranges it is without a range finder and I hear guys say stuff like "it's 32 yards". The range finder more often tells them they are off a yard or two but it seems after a while that some people can do a better job than the rangefinder.

The one thing a Ranging will do for sure that a laser won't is range a bear or hog or similar black target. The black won't bounce the light for the laser. And the Ranging can be carried out hunting without worry about losing a $200 up instrument because it doesn't cost that much and most people would not pick one up and name it their own like they would with a laser.

The calibration instructions are printed on the bottom of it. I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

I wasn't offended, just a little confused. (I'm told that quite often )

Hopefully it will help you with your yardage to get you started.

Enjoy
    Last edited by linedime; March 29th, 2005 at 01:22 PM.

I've used one since 1991 with satisfactory results in the manner GrandpaRichard described. It is not recommandable for low light, but it will give you a proper idea of your surroundings. As a matter of fact, the smaller the object, like a branch or surveyor's tape, the easier it is to get consistent readings. It does not work very well on large objects.
    Last edited by Pierre Couture; March 29th, 2005 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling

I also have been using one since the early 90's, and agree with GPR. Like Pierre C. said, it's best to focus on small objects like a sapling or even a bright color leaf on the ground.

Burlington, Washington ( Northwestern corner of the Evergreen state)

Thumbs up

linedime,
    That my friend is a Very Generous and Decent thing you are doing for a new archer and you are to be commended! Way to Go!

Dick
    2 Canon, 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash

Thanks linedime...look forward to trying them...

grandpawrichard
    Thanks for the compliment. If it helps someone get started in this great sport than I'm happy.

newshooter05
    Hopefully you'll have it by Saturday depending on USPS. It's going out in the am, I'll PM you with the tracking #s.

linedime, your doing a great thing!

archers helping archers...

newshooter, your right, there arent a lot of people out there willing to do things like this. AT is a great place with a lot of good people...

Ty

Hey linedime that was really cool of you. I agree with newshooter though it does sound fishy. Hard to believe that someone would give something away online and even pay for the shipping? You must really not want that thing. I think almost anyone would have at least charged him for shipping? In this situation it almost sounds to good to be true and I may have been afraid to give you my address. On that note, do you or anyone else have any rangefinders they want to send me for free. I to am new and could definately use one...