Thread: Victory VAP arrows

Victory VAP arrows

I am looking to buy some new arrows for hunting. I am looking to buy some Victory VAP arrows with the penetrator inserts. My specs so far: 2012 Elite Answer, 60 DW, 27.5 DL, and roughly 80g on the string (peep, D loop, string+cable leeches)

Arrow Specs:
    VAP 400s 6.9 gpi cut to 26.5 inches and with the inserts they would be 27.5 inches total length. Fob Starrflights, arrow wrap, and the nocks that comes with the arrows. The base arrow without the inserts at this point are 322g.

Total Arrow Specs:
    355g total arrow weight w/the 33g aluminum insert
    133g upfront on the arrow
    355g = 262 FPS w/54 kinetic energy

Or
    414g total arrow weight w/the 92g SS steel insert
    192g upfront on the arrow
    414g = 244 FPS w/55 kinetic energy

Please let me know what arrow you would chose and why. I understand about the, "heavier the arrow, the more KE". My problem is, do I use the aluminum or SS steel insert. Losing 18 FPS worth the 1 more KE. Bending the aluminum inserts or having the SS steel inserts. Any advance would be great.

Thank you.

Thanks for posting this I almost have the same setup and was about to buy these arrows and was woundering the same thing! Sorry to intrude.. But the only thing after reading many posts about this arrows is that, the aluminum insert will bend over time. Thats why I think the ss is better...

you can also use the Deep 6 inserts from Easton, fyi. you are looking at the computer numbers for your speed etc but what it doesn't show you is the true real-world speed and it's not all about KE anyways. Sure, you might only get one lb more of KE but your momentum numbers will jump significantly. Good luck with whatever choice you make, they are lethal hunting arrows for sure
    Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.
    Semper Fidelis to all of my fellow Marines, past and present.

Authorized Dealer for PSE, G5 Prime and Strother Archery

But with deep six don't you have a limited number of broadheads?

I have almost the same setup. I went with the stainless steel inserts on my 400s and with the g nock, a 125gn head and no wrap my arrow weighs 435gn and has a great FOC. My Answer shoots these at about 270fps. Also you got to love the FOBs.

Wow close to my set up I went with the 43 gr. insert and 25" shaft plus 1 inch for the insert 26 total length with blazers and wrap. Total arrow weight of 352 gr. shooting 271 fps @ 58lb 27" draw 57.4 lb of ke. This is with a Bear Carnage

I have the same arrow you are talking about, and almost the same spcs as you, my arrow with feathers are right at 333 grains total. With vanes I'm at 358 grains, so the difference for me is I'm looking for as fast/safe arrow as I can get. As far as hunting and getting a pass threw it's all about shot placement, I"ve had 3 pass threw's on the deer I've shot, and the last one was almost 40yds. (38yds. to be exact) with a 60lb bow shooting a Beman ICS hunting with a wght of 373 grians. With the lighter arrow I don't think I'm going to have a huge difference going down 40 grians to pick up some speed, I dont' see losing that much penatration.

I shoot a Destroyer 340. 30.5 " at 70# Victory VAP 300 with 43 Gr alum insert with 100 grain points and 2" Blazers in the back.

These shafts fly great! I really like them... except, the alum inserts (not outserts) bend easily and the shafts are fragile. I have some shafts where the point bent from hitting another arrow - Lost one arrow because the back of the shaft cracked and alos lost the the other because the front of the other shaft cracked. These are too expensive to be that fragile. I will be moving to something like a FMJ. Other than that I really liked the shafts. I have also heard that Victory labels the shafts consistently with the high point of the shaft spine (very nice feature). I have also heard that while shaft in a dozen are consistent in weight, but each dozen may vary greatly in shaft weight.

This is for everyone who has almost the same spec as me. I am wondering how much weight you have on your strings and cables. Because looking at your specs versus mine your speeds are a lot faster then mine. The only thing I can think of is the weight on the strings and cables. I have about 80g. 15g from my dloop and peep. And 65 from leeches.

yeah, the Deep 6 inserts will limit your choice on broadheads for the time being, either Muzzy, NAP and I believe Grim Reaper is coming out with one pretty soon.
    Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.
    Semper Fidelis to all of my fellow Marines, past and present.

Authorized Dealer for PSE, G5 Prime and Strother Archery

Has anybody compared these to the Harvest time HT-1s? they are very similar, are one more fragile then the other, better penetration then the other?
    2011 Destroyer 350 28.5" 65#, 10" "SIAZ" stab, Axcel Armortech Hd 5 pin .010, Ripcord, Gold Tip Velocity 7595's 423 gr, 100gr Killzones, RamCats, Tru Ball Short N Sweet, Carter Just B Cuz
    Twisted Archer Custom Bowstrings
    Team 18 - DeadLock

yeah kill the leaches i have a G5 3/16 peep a loop and a rubber button for a kisser. total for everything is 14 gr.

I would personaly go with the ss insert but remember when you check the spine on ot2 or a chart to add the insert weight to the head you may be underspined if you don't take this into consideration

I realy liked the vaps I built for the d 350 but when I went to broadhead tune it indicated a week spine I believe it was do to the fact I didn't consider the penetrator insert weight I ended up with fmj 300 spine on that rig because I was running out of time and thats what the local shop had in stock

Babmieslayer can you explain that a little bit more to me? I'm sorry but I am new to all of this and I don't want to go spending $150+ just to be under/over spined.

But isn't the ss insert much stronger?(From what I read the aluminum ones all bend)

Mike the SS one are stronger then the aluminum ones. The aluminum ones tend to bend. The only issue I have is the the lightest SS is 92g. I somewhat have the same spec as you. 27.5/60. So w/the 92g makes any arrow for us very heavy.

I used the 92gn SS and my arrows are 29 inches from nock to target point tip. They weigh 435gn. My Answer is 63# 29 inch draw and has speed mods. I have a d loop and speed nocks only on the string and no peep. This is the setup that gives me 270FPS. These .400 spine arrows shoot very well through this bow and do not exhibit any under-spined tendencies.
    The Harvest Time arrows are thicker walled and weigh more. I do not know if they are tougher though.

head weight has an effect on the dynamic spine of an arrow the heavier heads will make the spine softer
    when I built a vap 350 spine for my d350 the charts said .350 spine was adequate paper tuning was a bear to say the least and when I screwed on the snuffers there was a consistant right impact compared to feild tips turning the weight down brought the groups together that tells me week spine for that particular setup. I believe the reason the charts were off is because instead of 125 grn tip weight II needed to add the weight of the penetrator insert mine were 33 grn for an actual tip weight of 158 grn this is why the charts ask for tip weight as long as you add the 92 grn to the weight of the heads you desire to use and factor that in to spine selection you will be fine
    researh\ch high foc or front of center this is a desirable thing for penetration dr ashby has done alot of research in this area

If it's true the deep 6 inserts work in VAPs, I would go that route. The aluminum penetrator inserts are a joke, I've ruined about 4 or 5 out of my dozen, and two of those arrows were destroyed in the process (I have three arrows w/o inserts at the moment). The stainless steel inserts are MUCH heavier and are NOT cheap.

Keep in mind the heavier SS inserts will seriously mess up your FOC if you aren't paying attention. Especially with a lighter gpi shaft.
    southpaw
    compound/single cam/60#/26.5"/379gr/247fps
    traditional/recurve/40# @ 28"/uber slow

Seems like these arrows aren't very reliavle for the price. The whole reason I was looking into new arrows was to get a stronger arrow and I needed more penetration!

Mike that was the reason why I was looking too. Can anyone tell me what are some good smaller diameter arrows?

I've aloso been looking up gold tip Kinetic arrows

Quote Originally Posted by JPR79 View Post
    If it's true the deep 6 inserts work in VAPs, I would go that route. The aluminum penetrator inserts are a joke, I've ruined about 4 or 5 out of my dozen, and two of those arrows were destroyed in the process (I have three arrows w/o inserts at the moment). The stainless steel inserts are MUCH heavier and are NOT cheap.

Keep in mind the heavier SS inserts will seriously mess up your FOC if you aren't paying attention. Especially with a lighter gpi shaft.
    Would you explain what you mean by the heavier SS messing up your FOC? I know they increase the FOC but wasn't aware of problems with lighter gpi shafts. My .400 VAP V1s with 92gn inserts and 125gn head fly out of my 63# Answer like darts. I get bullet holes on my paper tuning and they shoot well out to 40+ yards which is all I've shot so far.

i've been shooting vaps for several years now. i've found them to be extremely durable. i only recall one that cracked at the back and i've destroyed many nocks/pin bushings. the biggest complaint on vaps has to do with the inserts bending. i don't use them so i can't speak to that. the shaft itself is a great shaft. accurate, affordable, and durable. up here in the northwest, the vap is VERY popular among competition shooters. it seems to me that the vap is about the most discussed shaft on this forum.