Thread: Shooting in the Rain?

Shooting in the Rain?

Are there any tips to shooting in the rain? What is the impact on the arrow flight and how do you adjust? Also, is there any impact on the bow and how do you compensate?

djq;

As far as arrow flight, you have to adjust your sight from your standard settings as conditions dictate (heavy rain, light rain, small drops, big drops, drizzle, etc.). It will effect arrow flight to some degree, especially with longer FITA distances. Sometimes it is a constant process of adjustment (or aiming off). When you can't see the target through the rain, or you hear/see lightening it's time to call it a day.

I think the more important consideration is getting wet. If you get a cold rain, or some wind with rain you want to have sure you have a hat, waterproof jacket (outer layer) and a good warm inner layer. I think it is easier to pull/strain muscles when you are fighting the cold (shivering), and at the same time controlling the bow (holding, sight movement, etc.). And if you have a particularily long session without adaquate clothing you may find your muscles tighten up for a few days afterwards. I know when cycling I have had a few cold rainy rides (though I felt warm at the time) that have taken a few days to get stiffness out of my muscles. When shooting FITA recurve, I have had my fingers cramp up shooting in a cold rain.

Getting old is a terrible thing...

-CG

A clairfier in your peep can realy ruin your day. One drop of rain or just the humidity condencing on it and your target is impossable to see. A few rain drops on your scope may distort your picture some but unless you can get it completely dry don't wipe it. I've had to shoot at any hint of color for a few ends till it cleared up again.

Before each shot give your string a little twange to get rid of any water that may have been on the string.
    Pete

Hate shooting in rain. Last year one of our very few target (900) shoots was on a rainy day. After about 5 ends of drizzle, the sky opened up. It looked like the arrows had tails going downrange. I had been shooting solid 10's & 9's @ 60 yds & when my first arrow went about 5" low for a 7, I added enough yardage to the next shots to score a 10, one 9 & two 8's. My peep clouded, my scope clouded, my bino's clouded, my string got heavy (even with a "twang" between shots) & my biggest problem was the cable slide sticking. Next time it's threatening rain, I'm either going better prepared to keep myself & equipment dry or not going at all.

What is everyone's favorite rainwear when shooting in the rain? I have found most rainwear to be kind of bulky and loose. Any suggestions on something better.

When I shoot in the rain, I keep careful watch on my arrow impact. It is difficult to predict based on the intensity of the rain. Sometimes, I have had to change my sight setting 3-4 yards to compensate for arrow flight.

Hail, lighting, wind and rain today!

Well we shot in it all today! Shot two shoots all day shooting. We found out claefier are not very good in wet.
    Any light weight rain gear is good. the 10X products are good raingear. The 10x stuff breaths good and you will not sweat.

I think light rain is better than the heavy wind. Hard to keep umbrellas from blowing away today.

Indoor looks better all the time to me. Im getting old.

Sure stupid for electrician like myself shooting in lighting holding carbon rod.

One thing to consider too, is the material your serving is made of. If it's braided cord, chances are it will hold water and slow down your string.

Cable guards and some target sights are also susceptible to changes in the rain. Sight tapes can run and the marks will be gone in a flash. Use melted bowstring wax over your sight tape to keep your sight marks intact.
    Any sight that tells you not to use oil, can and probably will malfunction in a heavy rain. Water is a lubricant and wll cause your sight to move after every shot if it doesn't have a locking mechanism. Just ask Waldo Cleland. That's why I use a Naildriver.
    As far as extreme weather gear is concerned, the best I've found to stay warm and dry is STORMKLOTH. It's just fantastic. STORMKLOTH

Talking My gear!

There is nothing like shooting in the pouring rain with a bow that does not have a cable gaurd! Like my Fury X! also I shot all day in a steady downpoor during my first Outdoor Fita round in Canada last Sept. Using my Bullseye Truespot lens. Never tried to take the water off it once and could see the target very well indeed! Ken

Problems I have had in the rain from biggest to smallest.

1.) cable guard- Sims cable slide, bomar cable slide, or FuryX cams can prevent cable guard problems in the rain.

2.) Seeing the target- I keep something handy to wipe any rain drops that may get in my scope. Just make sure you don't wipe your dot or circle out As for seeing the target because it is too dark, I still have to find the answer to that one.

3.) Sight tape problems

4.) Shivering because of COLD rain.

5.) String gathering water. Boy, when you fire that first shot you would be suprised how much water your string can hold.

Many oif you probably remember the second day of NFAA nationals last year. Boy was that bad. Heavy very cold rain on the Hunter round. And I was on the West Virginia course, which they say is the hardest. I was shivering so bad my bones hurt, how I held in the spot I will never know. I shot a 547 that day, a new high for me hunter or field. I went on to break that high again thursday. I think the biggest thing was the cable slide.
    Brad Rega >>--------------> X
    BCY
    Original Brite Site Pro Tuner
    MARTIN ARCHERY

Thumbs up

Things I do in the rain:
    1. If I think it is going to rain. I put on a fresh coat of Bowstring Wax and burnish it in well..Keeps MOST of the water out of the string and cables.
    2. I put INVISABLE scotch tape (NOT magic tape) over my settings and I have never had them run yet in all my years of shooting.
    3. Put a couple of drops of lube on my axles and work it in.
    4. Keep my scope as dry as possible and use stick on dots

When done shooting I completely wipe the bow down with a tack cloth will light oil on it.. and then buff off any leftover residue.. I then relube my axles and anything that may rust.. Also put a couple of drops on my site bar.. I usually use Hoppes oil for this....As far as rain gear.. I buy the tightest fitting stuff I can get and still shoot comfortably.. The last set I got at Walmart and it works great.. don't have a name on it....Pro1
    Factory Pro Staff Shooter for these Companies: Darton Archery, Goldtip Arrows, Bee Stinger Stabilizers, Stanislawski Releases, Winner's Choice Bowstrings,BCY Fibers, FIST Quivers (co-inventor),Brunton
    "This is supposed to be fun, or have you forgotten that?".. Cathy 1956-2000

Shootin in rain

I would like to thank everyone for all their help. Stll would like to know if the arrows will hit lower or higher or lower than the marks. AND I hope it doesn't rain at Redding this year.

My experience has always been they will hit lower.

Smile

It will depend on how the rain is falling.. Let's say if the rain is coming STRAIGHT down.. The rain would be hitting the arrow on top and beat it DOWN.. If it is coming from left to right on a diagonal line you would hit low right and so on.. Hope this helps...Pro1
    Factory Pro Staff Shooter for these Companies: Darton Archery, Goldtip Arrows, Bee Stinger Stabilizers, Stanislawski Releases, Winner's Choice Bowstrings,BCY Fibers, FIST Quivers (co-inventor),Brunton

I may be wierd, but I don't sexperience any high-low impacts in the rain. It will only go low becasue the cable slide sticks, slowing the bow down.
    BCY
    MARTIN ARCHERY

canned air (for cleaning computer parts) works wonders on a wet bow and have someone hold an umbrella. Archer's advantage needs to make a conversion chart for the rain. (LOL)

Yes Brad

I guess I should clarify... If the rain is hard enough you will notice a difference.. I thought the question was directed in a DRIVING type of rain or a hard rain...Pro1

But who knows you may have more "S"experience than some of the other guys on the boards..As your post sugests...ha,ha......Pro1

As far as hitting high or low, most of my experiences have indicated low hits in driving rain (i.e. what I shot in last year for 1 end in Canton, MI for the NAA Nationals at 70m, nocked me down approximately 3 scoring rings). Conversations with fellow competitors showed the amount varied as well depending on arrow speed and possibly arrow weight.

However, I have also in the past had a set-up that hit high when shooting in a light rain. I believe this was caused by the cable guard slide either hydroplaning across the guard and picking up some speed, or else the slide was sticking and somehow causing the arrows to pop off high. Had this happen during a FITA team event and had a couple friends experience the same phenomenom.

I do several of the things Pro1 noted, particularly the bowstring wax and lubing the axles beforehand. In a light rain I notice little difference now. Still have problems in a driving rain though with low impacts.

Just my experiences anyways........

>>------>

Sorry, double post but caught it in time to delete.

Hate to say it, but to truly know what your set-up will do in the rain will involve shooting at least once under said circumstances. Either that or trust your shot and make adjustments on the fly as soon as the arrows impact in places you're not pointing them !

>>------>
    Last edited by CHPro; April 21st, 2003 at 11:57 AM.

LMAO! the words that can come out when you mess up a letter or two while typing.
    BCY
    MARTIN ARCHERY