Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawkins...cant be 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cobowhntr View Post
    ^ problem Spreg is that Mobo has given the best dissertations on evolutionary theory to date. & there are several that were simply convinced from attempting to answer the holes in evolutionary theory. I believe you assume that all of us that no longer buy the idea were somehow brought up in the church basement & let out into the world when we started to eat too much but had been brainwashed sufficiently. That simply isn't the case.
    All the while you of all people continue to make statements that show you don't logically work through the things you post either about Christianity nor evolution; all the while asserting that you are educated on both.
    Case in point:
    The scientific advancements that have the most on the ground applications have been made by men of faith; you know those same non-reasoning folk you alluded to.
    All the same old talk under a different title, folk finding fault with posts on either side, evolution is fact, no it's a guess. Plain truth is faith is just that, science works and evolves with better science, lets get back to faith, yep it's still there no change either.

Case in point:
    The scientific advancements that have the most on the ground applications have been made by men of faith; you know those same non-reasoning folk you alluded to.
    I could go on at length about scientists of faith and their contributions, and they are legion. No argument there. They name the craters on the moon for people who have made significant contributions to science, and twenty-some-odd craters are named after Jesuit priests.
    However, the anti-evolution crowd are not among the contributors. They are fighting for a return to the dark ages. They will not be raising the children who will advance science and humanity. They are not following the evidence, they are not scientists.
    "'Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise': thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents."

^ problem Spreg is that Mobo has given the best dissertations on evolutionary theory to date. & there are several that were simply convinced from attempting to answer the holes in evolutionary theory. I believe you assume that all of us that no longer buy the idea were somehow brought up in the church basement & let out into the world when we started to eat too much but had been brainwashed sufficiently. That simply isn't the case.
    All the while you of all people continue to make statements that show you don't logically work through the things you post either about Christianity nor evolution; all the while asserting that you are educated on both.
    Case in point:
    So true. I find it really humorous when people assume that i am a lifelong christian that has never thought outside of how i was raised. The truth is that i am a fairly new believer. I was a lifelong atheist until i took an unbiased look at christianity.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chickenmcnasty View Post
    So true. I find it really humorous when people assume that i am a lifelong christian that has never thought outside of how i was raised. The truth is that i am a fairly new believer. I was a lifelong atheist until i took an unbiased look at christianity.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    So, what do you like about the God of Christianity the most? Is it the orders to kill adulterers, gay men, disobedient children and non-virginal brides? Is the orders He gave His followers to commit genocide? Is it the suffering and death he rained upon billions of people because two people ate a piece of fruit? Or is it the human sacrifice and weekly ritual cannibalism practiced by so many branches of Christianity, where they symbolically eat and drink the flesh and body of their god (or literally in the case of Catholics and high Episcopalians)?
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Warbow View Post
    So, what do you like about the God of Christianity the most? Is it the orders to kill adulterers, gay men, disobedient children and non-virginal brides? Is the orders He gave His followers to commit genocide? Is it the suffering and death he rained upon billions of people because two people ate a piece of fruit? Or is it the human sacrifice and weekly ritual cannibalism practiced by so many branches of Christianity, where they symbolically eat and drink the flesh and body of their god (or literally in the case of Catholics and high Episcopalians)?
    Let's get away from the "God" of Christianity and focus on why we are instead Warbow... God isn't an object.

see buckster.
    if a woman starts hitting me and won't stop , she's gonna get a lips tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by rattus58 View Post
    Let's get away from the "God" of Christianity and focus on why we are instead Warbow... God isn't an object.
    No.

The god of Christianity has some definite qualities as described in the bible. The god of Christianity has committed genocide, and has ordered His followers to commit genocide. The god of Christianity has ordered non-virgin brides to be killed upon their father's door step. Those are indisputable qualities of the God of Christianity. You don't get out of them by saying "God isn't an object." If you think those things are immoral then you shouldn't use the god of Christianity as a moral compass.
    <evidence><

Quote Originally Posted by sticshooter View Post
    see buckster.
    See me......what did I do? hehehe.......
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

No.

The god of Christianity has some definite qualities as described in the bible. The god of Christianity has committed genocide, and has ordered His followers to commit genocide. The god of Christianity has ordered non-virgin brides to be killed upon their father's door step. Those are indisputable qualities of the God of Christianity. You don't get out of them by saying "God isn't an object." If you think those things are immoral then you shouldn't use the god of Christianity as a moral compass.
    Genocide... now.... indisputable qualities of Christianity... you have really taken that leap haven't you.... I pray your chute opens.

Genocide... now.... indisputable qualities of Christianity... you have really taken that leap haven't you.... I pray your chute opens.
    But is he right? If not, how so? Hey, it's your bible.
    "'Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise': thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents."

Really chokes the colon, don't it? that a once atheist converts over to christianity? Well?

How do you approach this one warbow? You can't blame the way he or she was raised or that religion blinded them to evolutionary theory. Like molecule-to-man evolution theory, those theories of yours are shot full of holes. I can just feel the anguish seeping through your post that you lost one.

chickenmcnasty? i'd say the angels sang when you saw the light and made your confession. Welcome to the fold!
    ~Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
    ~An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.

rattus...that's one of your better lines man!
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.

You can pray his chute opens, but if you actually want a chute to open, you have to pull the cord. Opening chutes is one of the many things prayers don't do.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    Nope, that's not a fact that has changed. It's never been claimed by the scientific community that we evolved from apes. That has been a continual mis-representation from creationists.
    Sorry chick, but the misrepresentation isn't on our part. I dug back into an old thread on evolution and here ya go, on the descent from apes thing:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...24#post7238524
    Well...i haven't done a lot of posting the last couple days ,been pretty busy.
    But i did delve back into Darwin's book "Decent of man" and found more precisely where he commented on descending from apes!
    Here ya go warb&co.!

The following quote can be found in chapter 6 of this book found at this link:
    http://www.literature.org/authors/da...hapter-06.html

In the class of mammals the steps are not difficult to conceive which led from the ancient Monotremata to the ancient marsupials; and from these to the early progenitors of the placental mammals. We may thus ascend to the Lemuridae; and the interval is not very wide from these to the Simiadae. The Simiadae then branched off into two great stems, the New World and Old World monkeys; and from the latter, at a remote period, Man, the wonder and glory of the Universe, proceeded. Charles Darwin
    Now look at Simiadae:
    at this link:http://www.morewords.com/word/ape/

Ape
    Definitions of ape:
    n. - A quadrumanous mammal, esp. of the family Simiadae, having teeth of the same number and form as in man, and possessing neither a tail nor cheek pouches. The name is applied esp. to species of the genus Hylobates, and is sometimes used as a general term for all Quadrumana. The higher forms, the gorilla, chimpanzee, and ourang, are often called anthropoid apes or man apes
    And this link:http://www.1902encyclopedia.com/A/APE/ape-03.html

Ape
    (Part 3)
    Apes Classified by Family, Sub-Family and Genera

Ape: Family I - Simiadae, Sub-Family 1 - Simiinae. The Orang.

Of the three sub-families into which the Simiadae are divided, the first, SIMINAE, contains only the orang, the chimpanzee, the gorilla, and the gibbons. These are the creatures which, anatomically, are the most like man of all the apes, on which account they are often called the "anthropoid" apes. They are also termed, on account of the relative breadth of their breast-bone or sternum, the "latisternal" or "broad breast-boned" apes.
    Hmmm..... yep...ol' Darwin at least knew what he was saying,and he was saying we desended from Apes![which are ape-like]

And this:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...66#post7239466

More from ol' Chuck [Charles Darwin]from his book "Descent of man"
    at this link:http://www.literature.org/authors/da...hapter-06.html

At the period and place, whenever and wherever it was, when man first lost his hairy covering, he probably inhabited a hot country; a circumstance favourable for the frugi-ferous diet on which, judging from analogy, he subsisted. We are far from knowing how long ago it was when man first diverged from the catarhine stock; but it may have occurred at an epoch as remote as the Eocene period; for that the higher apes had diverged from the lower apes as early as the Upper Miocene period is shewn by the existence of the Dryopithecus. We are also quite ignorant at how rapid a rate organisms, whether high or low in the scale, may be modified under favourable circumstances; we know, however, that some have retained the same form during an enormous lapse of time. From what we see going on under domestication, we learn that some of the co-descendants of the same species may be not at all, some a little, and some greatly changed, all within the same period. Thus it may have been with man, who has undergone a great amount of modification in certain characters in comparison with the higher apes.
    What is Catarhine you ask?

From the Merriam-Webster online Dictioinary:

catarrhine:

Main Entry: cat·ar·rhine
    Pronunciation: \ˈka-tə-ˌrīn\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: New Latin Catarrhina, from Greek katarrhina, neuter plural of katarrhin hook-nosed, from kata- + rhin-, rhis nose
    Date: 1863
    : of, relating to, or being any of a division (Catarrhina) of primates comprising the Old World monkeys, higher apes, and hominids that have the nostrils close together and directed downward, 32 teeth, and the tail when present never prehensile — compare platyrrhine
    — catarrhine noun
    Lower Stages in the Genealogy of Man.- We have seen that man appears to have diverged from the catarhine or Old World division of the Simiadae, after these had diverged from the New World division.
    hmmm....

Catarhine=Apes
    Simiadae=Apes

On the whole, the difference in mental power between an ant and a coccus is immense;yet no one has ever dreamed of placing these insects in distinct classes, much less in distinct kingdoms. No doubt the difference is bridged over by other insects; and this is not the case with man and the higher apes. But we have every reason to believe that the breaks in the series are simply the results of many forms having become extinct. ~Charles Darwin

It is therefore against all probability that some New World species should have formerly varied and produced a man-like creature, with all the distinctive characters proper to the Old World division; losing at the same time all its own distinctive characters. There can, consequently, hardly be a doubt that man is an off-shoot from the Old World simian stem; and that under a genealogical point of view he must be classed with the catarhine division.~ Charles Darwin
    But a naturalist would undoubtedly have ranked as an ape or a monkey, an ancient form which possessed many characters common to the catarhine and platyrhine monkeys, other characters in an intermediate condition, and some few, perhaps, distinct from those now found in either group. And as man from a genealogical point of view belongs to the catarhine or Old World stock, we must conclude, however much the conclusion may revolt our pride, that our early progenitors would have been properly thus designated. ~Charles Darwin
    Wow!! After seeing that "Simiadae" and"Catarhine" refer to Apes and monkeys, the above quotes are definitive on man's descent from Apes!![which are ape-like]

Rattus, do you deny that the god of Christianity committed genocide on multiple occasions and also commanded his followers to commit genocide? Genocide is one of the main qualities of the god of the bible. If that is a problem for you then you should probably seek a different religion--a better god, one who doesn't commit genocide--or give up religion.
    <evidence><

Rattus, do you deny that the god of Christianity committed genocide on multiple occasions and also commanded his followers to commit genocide? Genocide is one of the main qualities of the god of the bible. If that is a problem for you then you should probably seek a different religion--a better god, one who doesn't commit genocide--or give up religion.
    If you are an atheist that doesn't like genocide you should find a different religion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    If you are an atheist that doesn't like genocide you should find a different religion as well.
    Keep trying ZB. Atheism is the lack of belief in any god. It is not a religion. I don't collect stamps. But that doesn't make not collecting stamps a hobby. Same goes for atheism and religion.
    <evidence><

Quote Originally Posted by MoBo Act 4:12 View Post
    And this:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...66#post7239466

More from ol' Chuck [Charles Darwin]from his book "Descent of man"
    at this link:http://www.literature.org/authors/da...hapter-06.html

What is Catarhine you ask?

hmmm....

Catarhine=Apes
    Simiadae=Apes

Wow!! After seeing that "Simiadae" and"Catarhine" refer to Apes and monkeys, the above quotes are definitive on man's descent from Apes!![which are ape-like]
    Well there ya go, good on you.
    What does the current phylogenetic tree say on the subject?

Homininae ancestors speciate from the ancestors of the orangutan.[18]

Pierolapithecus catalaunicus is believed to be a common ancestor of humans and the great apes or at least a species that brings us closer to a common ancestor than any previous fossil discovery.

Pierolapithecus had special adaptations for tree climbing, just as humans and other great apes do: a wide, flat ribcage, a stiff lower spine, flexible wrists, and shoulder blades that lie along its back.

Keep trying ZB. Atheism is the lack of belief in any god. It is not a religion. I don't collect stamps. But that doesn't make not collecting stamps a hobby. Same goes for atheism and religion.
    If that is the case you should find a religion unless you are going to embrace genocide.

Well I haven't witnessed any of that have you?

Really chokes the colon, don't it? that a once atheist converts over to christianity? Well?
    Thats kind of like knowing how the majik trick isn't real but still believing it's majik.

Well I haven't witnessed any of that have you?
    So he didn't do it, then? Are you saying some of the bible is made up?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    So he didn't do it, then? Are you saying some of the bible is made up?
    IIRC Ratt hasn't read the bible. Appologise if I'm wrong

How do you approach this one warbow? You can't blame the way he or she was raised or that religion blinded them to evolutionary theory. Like molecule-to-man evolution theory, those theories of yours are shot full of holes. I can just feel the anguish seeping through your post that you lost one.

chickenmcnasty? i'd say the angels sang when you saw the light and made your confession. Welcome to the fold!

...why would it 'choke your colon'? What Dawkins does doesn't affect or influence me in the least. I don't follow him, I don't read him, I don't give a rats arse what he does with his time. I'd never even visited his web site until this thread was started. I don't have a 'shrine' to the 'Gods' of Atheistic thought, either in my living room or my head. This isn't us against them, as much as you try to make it; it's me, alone, believing what I believe. If Dawkins suddenly wants to bathe himself in the waters and start running the local church Bingo game, good for him; whatever gets him through his day. I don't need Richard Dawkins to pump sunshine up my butt.

You realize Dawkins was not accepting the possibility of God in the sense that you see him, don't you?

Is it possible to be a Deist and an Atheist at the same time? Sure. As far as the universe is concerned, could there be a creator? You have to say it's a possibility simply because there is so much we don't understand about how it works. We grew up out here on the fringe of our known universe, with no instruction manual, to evolve, or not, all on our own. Do I believe there is a 'creator'? No, but I can't say for sure can I. Do I believe in the God of the Bible? No, of course not.

What does Dawkins believe? Who cares.
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast