a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Slow Motion Arrow Flight with my new camera

Slow Motion Arrow Flight with my new camera

When you link to this in Youtube go full screen, it's much easier to see the arrows (bottom right box). Also, the resolution of the camera starts out a 120 fps and goes up to 480 fps. At 480 fps the resolution is pretty bad. It was a test for me to see what happens when you really slow things down; well the resolution goes to crap, that what happens. There is a shot or two that looks like the arrow is flying a bit sideways, that was becasue the camera was about 2' to the right of me when I fired. The rest I shot right over the top of the tripod. The camera is Casio EXILIM EX-FC150. It has high speed modes and I wanted to see what arrow flight looks like. I bought the camera off of eBay for $175 new. Again, this is the very first test I made. I know how to do it better now and I'll take more video. The target is at 50 yards. BTW, once I uploaded the video to my computer and into Windows Movie Maker, I noticed there are several speed reduction modes in Movie Maker. I "believe" the best way to do this is to record at 120 fps and slow that down in Movie Maker. I'm going to try that next time. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z430KwWg86A
    2012 Elite Answer 28", 61lbs, HHA Otimizer XL5510 .010, QAD HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus & Ulmer Edge Broadheads
    2008.5 Elite GT500 28", 62lbs, HHA OpimizerXL5510 .010, QADS HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus and Ulmer Edge Broadheads

What a fun thing to try. Pretty cool video. You're right the quality goes pretty bad the more you try to slow it down.
    Proud to support the following companies in 2014
    VAPORTRAIL,DEAD CENTER ARCHERY,MONTANA BLACK GOLD,OBSESSION BOWS

Very cool! Now do that to a deer next season and that would be even cooler!

Nice!
    2014 Strother SX Rush, 67lb/29.5", Vaportrail LimbDriver Pro-V, HHA DSL-5019, Trophy Ridge Static 9" stab
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS Pro Staff
    VAPORTRAIL ARCHERY Pro Staff
    Owner, OkieWild Archery & Custom Arrows, Sulphur, Oklahoma

Id like to see that again with better video quality. Thats interesting.

Awesome!!
    AT Sponsor www.lum-tec.com Coupon code: Archerytalk111
    Eliminate the fixed roller guard on Carbon Matrix and Carbon Spyder. Click HERE. Aluminum Hoyts click HERE
    NEW: TPU Speed nock system. Available HERE. *** Brownell bowstring products distributor *** Email wis913@yahoo.com for a full price list.

I tried this yesterday... recorded different angles with a video camera and tried to break it down with software, but just couldnt get it slow enough.

i may get my DSL out and have the wife hold down the sport button. that may work too.

thanks for the video.

Very cool.
    "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Awesome! Good Job!
    *PSE Matt Forest Green "Dominator Pro 3D Max" for Outdoor 3D. (AKA: BOOGER) *PSE Matt Forest Green "REVO" for hunting. (AKA: YOGURT) ...........................May Da Schwartz Be With You!!!

Pretty cool. I'm defintely going to try this with my camera. FWIW it doesn't seem that the slowing down of the video affects the clarity as much as the zoom you are using.
    2014 PSE Full Throttle 26.5" DL, 60lbs, CJ Mark III sight, AQ Custom Rods,PSE X Weave Pro 300, 85 Grain Grim Reapers
    2014 PSE Full Premo Breathn Custom SHW Prairie, CJ Mark III sight, PSE Phantom rest, PSE Pro X Weave 300, 85 grain Grim Reapers

Cool!

Nice, arrow flight looks great.
    Misc. Archery vendors
    Misc. Archery Gear & accessories

Very cool!! What was the angle of the shot?
    Road Crew Pro Staff
    I shoot bows

Quote Originally Posted by Bnbfishin View Post
    Pretty cool. I'm defintely going to try this with my camera. FWIW it doesn't seem that the slowing down of the video affects the clarity as much as the zoom you are using.

Yes and no. It's give and take with both. I've go to see what the Microsoft Movie Maker software slow motion is capable of first, then start playing with the camera's speed; 120, 240 and 480 fps. I used my 50 yard target to play with the zoom to see how much loss there was when zooming. If I can use 120 fps and slow it down nicely with the software, that's going to be the best resolution. I'll try and post another maybe tomorrow. I'm kind of learning as I go along, especially all the video editing. FWIW, when I shoot in the 480 fps mode, by the time I press REC on the camera and take a shot with the bow 15 seconds later, it's about 5 mintues of video! So, there is lot's of editing, copying and pasting. Kind of fun though, I always wanted to learn the editing part better.
    2012 Elite Answer 28", 61lbs, HHA Otimizer XL5510 .010, QAD HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus & Ulmer Edge Broadheads
    2008.5 Elite GT500 28", 62lbs, HHA OpimizerXL5510 .010, QADS HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus and Ulmer Edge Broadheads

Good video ..
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 , LimbDriver ProV , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt AM 32 , Drop Zone , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt Havoc -Tec , Drop Zone , Extreme RT900 , V.A.P. 1 Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    U.S. Army 1981 - 1989

Great to see the arrow spinning in flight.
    I have a good Samsung Sports Camcorder, will try that and see if I can slow it down enough.
    Nice video, nice shooting.
    Ne Te Confundant Illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybutt2000 View Post
    Very cool!! What was the angle of the shot?

Not sure of the angle in degrees but it was about a 7 or 8' drop at 50 yards.

I kind of like the look of that spinning arrow too. I'll try again tomorrow.

ttt

That's pretty good for 175$ try one of it facing the bow opposite shooter side. That's pretty fast. But zoom should not be a factor

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vantage Elite +'s (77#, 60#, 55#) And a Matrix with Spirals for hunting
    Things I Like: Honey Badger Bowstrings, No Limit Archery (Ringer Release and Grave Digger Broadheads), Gold Tip Arrows and Affordable Stabilizer Weights (ASW)

Pretty neat!

Thanks for sharing that.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

AT 230 that's about what mine look like anyway...........lol
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

That was cool. Spinning of the arrow really grabs your attention.