Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53

Thread: Planning on starting a hunting show

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Prarie of Western MN
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by VABowKill View Post
    Don't act like Animal House Outdoors.
    HaHa, I was going to say.....Watch Animal House Outdoors, and then make a show exactly the opposite.



  2. #27
    Two shows on tv right now that interest me are

    Dropped & MeatEater... I wanna see guys do it on their own. Getting access is one thing. Those are the style of shows I am looking to watch.
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Madison, IN
    Posts
    1,051
    we have something like what you are trying to do here. a reality based hunting show... we tryed to do it with out sponsors thinking it would get more attention because we werent shoving products down your throat... but the reality of it is you cant do it unless you have some major $$$ saved up! didnt mean to still your spotlight or high jack your thread! just speaking form experince!

    some things that i would say is to invest in a really good camera, camera arm, fluid head, mic... list could go on. but with out good footage you got nothing!

    best of luck to you!

  4. #29
    Big hooters!
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Big East Country
    Posts
    1,519
    good luck

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Fulton county, IL
    Posts
    17,364
    Alright...... we need a few more huntin' commmercials..... er, ummmm, I mean "shows" on TV!
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Waitin' for bow season...
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by VABowKill View Post
    Don't act like Animal House Outdoors.
    DING DING DING! We have a winner folks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupypug View Post
    I am not the masses but I do. It's how I hunt.
    Bowhunter's World with Chuck Jones is kinda like that, I like some of the low budget shows like that when the guy is shooting a 10 year old bow, aluminum arrows, camo that's so faded you can't tell what pattern it used to be, and shooting mediocre by tv standards bucks on public land and being dog gone proud of it. Hey, I just described myself, maybe I should start my own show.

  8. #33
    I always pay extra attention to a show that is taking place on public land, always more interesting when its a place that the average joe might actually have a chance at hunting.
    Tim McCormick
    2009 PSE X FORCE GX DIGITAL CAMO
    28" DRAW, 434GR ARAMID 350 ARROW, 68#'s, 302FPS

  9. #34
    My advice would be to put that Super Hunter from the other post on here that is looking to make whitetail hunting more hard and more of a challenge for him

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ND and MN
    Posts
    10,936
    Quote Originally Posted by mez View Post
    You can't do it without major sponsorship unless you are independently wealthy.

    My advice would be to quit looking at hunting as a fun thing to do, hobby, past time, way of life etc. You must approach it as a job and a business, making all decisions based on what is best for your job and your business.
    This is good.
    My advice, the first thing you need to do is sit down and figure out the finances. Camera equipment, editing software, computer equipment, etc can run over $10,000 depending on what you need and the quality. Next, airtime. Do you want to be local or on national. I know around here local will run over $30,000 for 13 shows to run twice a year for a total of 26. National........well, you can triple what the local rates would be if you want to get on the Outdoor channel or Pursuit Channel. Sure you can get sponsors, but do you realize how many hunting shows are out there calling and emailing all the companys for free stuff and money? There are a lot. So unless you already have a bunch of sponsors lined up to give you money, you better have about $150,000 laying around to start. Free camo, free bows, free boots, free arrows, etc don't pay for airtime and other bills.
    You mention your show would be DIY hunts. A "season" is 13 shows, imho you will have to hunt.......A LOT in order to get enough kills and footage if they are all DIY. I'm not trying to rain on your parade and I wish you luck, I just want you to realize how much work it is and how expensive it is, and how much fun it takes out of hunting. It will not longer be fun, relaxing, stressfree like hunting should be. It will be another job.
    Again, good luck.
    Lien2

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Muskogee,Ok.
    Posts
    73,539
    Quote Originally Posted by pointer8169 View Post
    A couple of my buddies and I are planning starting a show. We have most of it figured out Just kinda looking for some tips and advice from all you hunters out there that have a clue. Any questions feel pleased to ask. Thanks
    ONly about 200 hunting shows on air today. Good luck with sponsors.

    Hope your ready to be judged for everthing you do because its going to happen.

    Good luck
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas, USA!
    Posts
    17,176
    Good luck.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
    Two shows on tv right now that interest me are

    Dropped & MeatEater... I wanna see guys do it on their own. Getting access is one thing. Those are the style of shows I am looking to watch.
    Both of these are great concept shows in my opinion. HOwever, they get boring after several weeks of not killing anything or shooting tiny critters just to get some meat. Now they are already showing reruns and its not even a full quarter of shows. Personally , i dont want to watch someone shoot a little hog and a baby mule deer.Not why i watch hunting shows. As for Dropped, the Alaska hutning concept is AWESOME, but not sure how long i can stay interested. Too much drama about almost dying and stuff. AND, I dont like the fact they have shown two rerun shows. THis is just my opinion on what i think. They have a good idea , just dont think it works for 13 weeks.

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Lien2 View Post
    This is good.
    My advice, the first thing you need to do is sit down and figure out the finances. Camera equipment, editing software, computer equipment, etc can run over $10,000 depending on what you need and the quality. Next, airtime. Do you want to be local or on national. I know around here local will run over $30,000 for 13 shows to run twice a year for a total of 26. National........well, you can triple what the local rates would be if you want to get on the Outdoor channel or Pursuit Channel. Sure you can get sponsors, but do you realize how many hunting shows are out there calling and emailing all the companys for free stuff and money? There are a lot. So unless you already have a bunch of sponsors lined up to give you money, you better have about $150,000 laying around to start. Free camo, free bows, free boots, free arrows, etc don't pay for airtime and other bills.
    You mention your show would be DIY hunts. A "season" is 13 shows, imho you will have to hunt.......A LOT in order to get enough kills and footage if they are all DIY. I'm not trying to rain on your parade and I wish you luck, I just want you to realize how much work it is and how expensive it is, and how much fun it takes out of hunting. It will not longer be fun, relaxing, stressfree like hunting should be. It will be another job.
    Again, good luck.
    That pretty much sums it up. Good advice without trying to discourage. I would highlight the part about how much hunting has to go into getting 13 shows. Despite common posts on AT about wanting to see other stuff besides kills...that kind of show is not a recipe for success or else they would be on TV now. Yes, some want to see things besides the kill, but the majority want to see stuff killed. Tree stand set ups, shed hunts, and scouting make for boring tv, for most people anyways.
    watch our hunting and bowfishing webcast at AimNLowTV.com

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_TNT_tv View Post
    Both of these are great concept shows in my opinion. HOwever, they get boring after several weeks of not killing anything or shooting tiny critters just to get some meat. Now they are already showing reruns and its not even a full quarter of shows. Personally , i dont want to watch someone shoot a little hog and a baby mule deer.Not why i watch hunting shows. As for Dropped, the Alaska hutning concept is AWESOME, but not sure how long i can stay interested. Too much drama about almost dying and stuff. AND, I dont like the fact they have shown two rerun shows. THis is just my opinion on what i think. They have a good idea , just dont think it works for 13 weeks.
    Thank god for dvr... if i see its a rerun i just delete it
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin@AimLow View Post
    That pretty much sums it up. Good advice without trying to discourage. I would highlight the part about how much hunting has to go into getting 13 shows. Despite common posts on AT about wanting to see other stuff besides kills...that kind of show is not a recipe for success or else they would be on TV now. Yes, some want to see things besides the kill, but the majority want to see stuff killed. Tree stand set ups, shed hunts, and scouting make for boring tv, for most people anyways.

    I would agree to an extent. If you just have a camera following you while you scout or hang a stand its pretty boring but if you take the time to break down the details... how you even arrived at this place and why, where do you think they bed and why, how do you plan to enter and why.

    I think the majority of people who love to hunt have a lot to learn. Theres guys who have the passion to be AWESOME strait up killers they just dont know how to do it.

    The reason meat eater and dropped interest me are...

    1: Dropped is a raft trip, something I am extremely interested in doing solo
    2: They show them actually breaking animals down and the tools theyre using. Sure, most guys probably know who gerber is, ask about a havalon and youll probably get crooked looks
    3: Meat eater is showing you exactly how he is finding animals of all types, not just deer and certainly not simply by luck but covering a lot of ground, then he shows you how to eat it right there

    Someone said these are good concept shows, I agree, its got the ball rolling in the right direction. If you have seen a midwest whitetail hunting program you have seen them all. I have three whitetail programs and they are

    Midwest Whitetail - again, for the tactics
    Heartland Bowhunter - Cinematography
    Dominant Bucks - some might think this is a joke but they cover a TON of real world info, i like it as a brush up on things I tend to forget about
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    2,545
    [QUOTE=catfishmafia76;106349005 8]Big hooters![/QUOTE

    Now that's funny!
    BowTech Pro Staff 2006-2012, Team QAD, Bowjax, NY State Bow/Hunter Education Instructor and Licensed Guide. NYSCC region 6 Archery Representative. Semper Fi

  18. #43
    Show more than the kill. I want to see why you hunt an area. Why that tree? Preparations, equipment, set-up, etc. I also agree with don't be afraid to shoot does.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    626
    You are going to need a camera that has no less quality then something like the AX2000 which right now is running in the range of $3500. Another very important thing is you need a nice wireless microphone. I will be getting one shortly thats around $600. And I know I am probably going to get ranted on about this but for sponsors you need to sell yourself to them even if it means pushing the truth a little. I know this from hands on experience. Like others said, this is not a fun thing to do. Its going to be a buisness. You are also going to need a high quality website. I don't know about you guys but when you go to a hunting shows website and it doesn't look very nice that is just an instant turn-off for me. Have people like www.3plains.com get a website for you then you are going to need a nice logo. You are also going to need to have someone get some SEO for you. Its a long process but if you have the $$$$$$ in the end it will be rewarding once you look back at where you started! Good luck

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    southeast ohio
    Posts
    597
    Hahahahahahahahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
    My advice would be act natural. Whether you're cool as a cucumber or fall apart like Fred Eichler or Stan Potts after the shot, as long as the reaction is genuine most viewers will be fine with it. When I see people on tv shows that have coined their own catch phrase that follows the fist pump like "I just dropped the smackwhackalacka on that buck" or "I just put the boomshakalacka on that deer" or "I just laid the bombdiggitydoowop on that buck" it always appears staged and corny.

    Good luck and happy hunting!

  21. #46
    Good luck. Self-guided public land hunting can be the focus of a TV show. That is what we have been doing for the last four years. And, it can be a very popular concept, in spite of what some may warn you.

    Expect a lot of naysayers. Expect a lot of challenges, financial and otherwise, many of which have been listed here. Do not expect to make much money.

    Have thick skin. No matter what you do, you will get some emails every week where someone doesn't like what you did. Accept that and try to learn from it.

    Do not give in to the pressures applied by potential sponsors or ad agencies. They may ask you to compromise your production values to pimp there product. Don't do it. The more you stay true to your audience and your message, the more credibility you will have and the more value you will eventually provide to sponsors.

    Go after sponsors that fit your kind of hunting. Do not accept sponsorship from companies who make products not suited for your hunts. Product integration, done tastefully and on hunts that show how good the product works, is way better than a :30 second commercial or a stand up talking head giving an infomercial. With products suited for your type of hunting, you can integrate very well, keeping production values high.

    Like some have mentioned, have a great website. Facebook is not a website. Have a great presence there, but with 400+ shows, you need a great website to provide sponsors more exposure than just a TV show.

    Have your "shtick" and stick with it. Don't be just one more of the hundreds of shows out there. Sponsors and viewers are not looking for another TV show done in the same manner as the other 100 shows that might be similar to your idea. You need to be different in your production style, message, hunts, or some other aspect that allows you to deliver something not currently available.

    Get the best production people you can find. Sponsors want to know who is producing the show. The more experience and better library the production company has on their resume, the easier it will be to get sponsorship. You cannot afford to "poor boy" the production in this environment. Production values on Outdoor, Sportsman, and NBC Sports have increased dramatically, and sponsors expect nothing but great stuff.

    Best of luck to you and others thinking of doing the same thing.
    "Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

  22. #47
    OYOA,

    I think you keeping to your values is what makes your show so good! Love your show!
    Gage Brock
    Idaho
    www.huntersjourneymagazine.com

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock-ID View Post
    OYOA,

    I think you keeping to your values is what makes your show so good! Love your show!
    X2...yours is one the best shows out there, Thanks!
    DXT & Switchback...28"/ 72lbs..FMJ's 340..100gr Nap Hellrazors

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by -Beef- View Post
    You are going to need a camera that has no less quality then something like the AX2000 which right now is running in the range of $3500. Another very important thing is you need a nice wireless microphone. I will be getting one shortly thats around $600. And I know I am probably going to get ranted on about this but for sponsors you need to sell yourself to them even if it means pushing the truth a little. I know this from hands on experience. Like others said, this is not a fun thing to do. Its going to be a buisness. You are also going to need a high quality website. I don't know about you guys but when you go to a hunting shows website and it doesn't look very nice that is just an instant turn-off for me. Have people like www.3plains.com get a website for you then you are going to need a nice logo. You are also going to need to have someone get some SEO for you. Its a long process but if you have the $$$$$$ in the end it will be rewarding once you look back at where you started! Good luck
    Disagree with two thinigs. You do NOT have to spend that much on a camera. And...you do not have to "push the truth a little" to sell yourself to sponsors. If you feel that lying to recruit sponsors is what you have to do...I guess you have to do what you have to do. But, giving that as advice is ridiculous. But hey, at least you aren't hiding it from anyone. I'd love to see the faces of any of your sponsors when they read this post, lol.
    watch our hunting and bowfishing webcast at AimNLowTV.com

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carbondale, IL
    Posts
    20
    Are you looking for going straight to TV or are you looking to start with DVD or a webshow? Because big sponsors are not going to shell out money for a tv show to people who don't have a strong base first, examples- had a DVD for a couple years or a webshow. Also all of TV switched to using HD everything so YOU WILL have to have an HD camera for TV. My advice is make a DVD for a couple years, show sponsors and your audience you guys can do it year after year before they invest in you.
    "I have a special bond with every animal...for that 3 seconds before I pull the release!!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •