Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Team #12 - Team Liar

nice turkey and way to go MJewell !!!thought i would see how team 12 is doing ,had my shoulder surgery on april 23 high noon ,surgery went well, have new 4 inch scar healing on left shoulder and there was some pain. can`t do much for a few months just hope to bow hunt for deer by mid september with my bow" i am not going to use a x-bolt gun,the proper name for a x-bow "i brought a used 50-60 lb. hoyt i plan on turning down to to 48 lbs. or less to start with in mid september. GOOD LUCK on those thunder chickens this spring !!! Pete53

Great job Jewell. Nice bird. Sounds like it was a great hunt and I hope your daughter gets a bird too. I am going out friday night and saturday morning and there have been quite a few birds in my spots. Goodluck to everyone else.
    2012 Elite Anwer 65# 29" Pimped Red Hades Skulls Spott Hogg Right On QAD HDX Bloodsport HT-2 300 Stokerized SS1 Firenocks Yeti Grips Tight Spot
    2009 Elite Z28 Realtree AP 28.5" Trophy Ridge 5 pin NAP Apache Easton Axis 400
    Quote Originally Posted by L.I.Archer View Post
    Never trust anyone with two first names.

great job jewell. great story, im glad someone finally nailed one.
    its so exciting when they b line it rite for the decoys...

well done
    2013 Hoyt G3 Element, Alpha V5 Micro, QAD HDX
    Victory arrows, Carbon Express, Easton FMJ, Tight spot

Guardian 07,Gold Tip ,
    HHA OL-5519,Proline string,stoker,carter ,vision 175

Tomorrow I will be in the blind in the evening and saturday morning. It is killing me sitting here lol. Anyone else going this weekend?
    2012 Elite Anwer 65# 29" Pimped Red Hades Skulls Spott Hogg Right On QAD HDX Bloodsport HT-2 300 Stokerized SS1 Firenocks Yeti Grips Tight Spot

Going out this morning . Cannt sleep tonight. This is crazy. Cann;t find a bird during the morning . Have been seeing them in the evening. They have been gobbling the heads of. don't know why I'm going in the a.m.
    Staff Shooter for CCA (Cheap Custom Arrowwraps)check us out on the web to order your wraps
    '08 Martin Firecat a righty
    '06 Martin Slayer a lefty

Lol I am sitting here shaking. 9 minutes and I am headed out. I can't stand it.

good luck rjd and goose. i will not be back out until late season here, may 16-22. not very excited about late season, the birds tend to shut up.

I'm heading out in the next 20 minutes, seen another big gobbler along with 6 Jakes in the Field where I shoot my last bird. Also watched another big tom out behind my house with two Jakes all day yesterday.

Matt
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT 28"@ 59lbs, 2011 CRX32 Blackout 27.5" @60lbs
    Darkhorse Stud arrows 400's 28" with Montecs or Rage 3 blades
    Darkhorse Archery Staff Shooter darkhorsearchery.ca ECO3/LOG6 Prostaff

Wow these turks are getting smarter. Last night I had the biggest turkey I have ever seen. Beard was dragging and had to be at least 30#. My biggest was 28# and this thing blew it out of the water. It comes from the other side of the field 600 yards away. Gets 15 yards from me and is sitting there eating. There is a big tree and a few bushes he had to clear. I looked to my left and back to my right to him and he was still there. I just relaxed waiting for 10 minutes for him to pop around the tree and never did. The thing vanished! lol. But it gets better. SAME THING happens this morning. Then to top it off the hen that was in my decoys goes walking away and he follows. They were some biggins. Hopefully I can hunt tomorrow but good luck to everyone else!

I have given up on the morning side of this . Will be heading out Sunday late in the afternoon . Got to watch the RACE for crying out loud. Yea I'm alittle redneck. Havn't heard from some of the guys . Hows it going for everyone?

Staff Shooter for CCA (Cheap Custom Arrowwraps)check us out on the web to order your wraps

Was out today most of the day, Came very close too tagging my second this morning when 3 Gobblers, 2 hens and 2 Jakes enterd the field managed to get two of the tom to head towards the decoys got them to 15 yards but they weren't in a shooting lane. They then turned and followed the hens off the other way. Played cat and mouse with them right up till legal time tonight never got them closer then 75 yards after this morning.

Matt

Nice bird Jewell...dandy.

I have to apologize to all of you my team mates. I haven't been able to get out, got a bunch of issues at home that I have been having to deal with and have not had time for hunting..

I did get out one morning with a buddy a couple weeks back, on a whim....He IMd the night before asking if I wanted to go the next morning to his spot close by. I said sure....So the next morning we go to his spot..get out plenty early...It was raining and nasty out. Got in the blind in the dark...no calling from the roost early. We saw a few birds as the morning passed but nothing close and nothing hung around. So he made the call and we packed up..dropped the stuff at the back corner of the field and walked out to get the truck. Drove down to pick up our gear. It was pretty nasty out...raining and sleeting...We drove out and turned at the field corner and drove past the field we were just in...He asked sarcastically, "any birds in the field?"...I'm looking throught he fogged window...I tell him there were 3 out there..he can't believe it...there were 3 birds out there a tom and 2 hens. We stopped and glassed them and made the call to go to the landowners house and check another spot before returning..nothing there so we came back to see if they were still out there...they were.

We made the call to go after them in the field...He had a real turkey fan on a paint stir stick...It was part of his plan for the day to try this method he had seen in a youtube video. We walked down the driveway next to the field and got to a low spot and cut into the field. The field is 50 acres or so and has some contour...we stayed behind a small hill in the center of the field and cut the distance to about 150 yards, crawled up the slope and into the open where the birds would see the fan...my buddy right behind me both of us hiding behind this turkey fan. The birds saw the fan and had no issue so we slipped a little closer. About that time 2 more longbeards showed up in the corner of the field...the single tom ran down and started fighting the other 2. The hens got tired of the whole thing and left the field and when the toms realized they were gone, they left too. So there we are sitting in the middle of this field, holding up a turkey fan...now discussing how long to wait before leaving, now that the birds had left. we figured we would give them a couple more minutes to vacate...about 2 minutes later as we are ready to stand up, my buddy says he sees one of the toms at the corner of the field coming back out..We slid down the slope a few more yards and moved the fan around a little to draw his attention...He came out and walked toward us...As he came I kept reporting the approximate distance to my buddy who is still behind me behind the fan...He closed the distance to 60 yards, then 40, then 30...My buddy asks..should I draw...i say yes...the bird is now 25 yards and closing...He can't see anything behind that fan. He is now at full draw...the bird walking up the slope right to us..he asks how far...I say less than 20 and closing. He says lean over to the left..I lean slowly and WHACK...arrow hits turkey...I didn't see it as I was behind the fan. The bird runs off toward the woods and gets to a top of a slope and starts to fly...bad sign...The bird only flaps twice and disappears behind the slope...better sign... as the slope is only about 10-15 feet in elevation....We mark the spot and start looking for the arrow and signs of what sort of hit it is. The arrow passed through and had lots of blood and gutty material on it. We decide to give him time..head to town to eat. an hour and a half later we are back looking...10 minutes later we find the bird dead in the edge of the woods, hit right next to the beard and exit out the bottom under the tail feathers.. great bird 20+ lbs and 10" beard and one spur 1.25" long..the other broken but still about 7/8"

Crazy hunt..never thought it would have worked....Can't post the pics either...he asked me not to.

I still may get out yet...but not sure. Hopefully I can have another hunt like that one.

God Bless,

Glen
    Praise be to God
    A1 Archery Hudson, WI
    Hunt - BowTech Destroyer 340, HHA, LimbDriver Pro, Bee Stinger, Carbon Express, G5 Montec
    3d - BowTech Insanity CPXL Black Ops, CBE, LimbDriver Micro, Bernies, Carbon Express

Great technique lol. I love it.

im going to try again this weekend.... last weekend left to hunt here in WI so wish me luck. ive seen plenty of birds but they just wont come in close. we'll see what happens this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by scaffido View Post
    im going to try again this weekend.... last weekend left to hunt here in WI so wish me luck. ive seen plenty of birds but they just wont come in close. we'll see what happens this weekend.
    Goodluck. Maybe the new Elite stuff will help you out. I think tomorrow evening is the last day I can go. We have our state tournement this weekend for skeet and sporting clays so itll take up almost all of it.

I snuck out last Saturday before my brothers wedding.I had an hour window.Well got busted drawing back and tried to slip a shot in.Bounced it off his ass with only a few tail feathers to show for it.It just so happens I am doing a job that is 15 minutes from where I hunt.I bought a permit yesterday that is good til friday.Broke out the smoke pole instead today.Called one in and blasted his arse.I still have a permit left for this Saturday.Breaking out the bow again.
    Guardian 07,Gold Tip ,

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boone View Post
    I snuck out last Saturday before my brothers wedding.I had an hour window.Well got busted drawing back and tried to slip a shot in.Bounced it off his ass with only a few tail feathers to show for it.It just so happens I am doing a job that is 15 minutes from where I hunt.I bought a permit yesterday that is good til friday.Broke out the smoke pole instead today.Called one in and blasted his arse.I still have a permit left for this Saturday.Breaking out the bow again.
    Nice you should post pics up and goodluck this weekend.

Guardian 07,Gold Tip ,

Still hanging tough here in Ontario trying hard to get a second with the bow. Seen 2 this morning but they won't come close enough. Heading out in the morning before work hopfully they follow todays footsteps an I might be able to put one of them down.

Have a buddy stopping by on Monday for awhile to hunt, he uses only the scattergun so we see what happens.

Matt

Three toms, Two jakes and 3-4 hens this morning. One tom was just on the edge of shooting range but wouldn't come any closer. Thinking of trying tonight again then switching spots in the morning to another area that I know has a big tom in it somewhere.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MJewell View Post
    Three toms, Two jakes and 3-4 hens this morning. One tom was just on the edge of shooting range but wouldn't come any closer. Thinking of trying tonight again then switching spots in the morning to another area that I know has a big tom in it somewhere.

Matt
    Goodluck. I thought I was going to be able to go Friday but nope. We have our state tournament this weekend. This afternoon and tomorrow morning. Might be able to make it out tomorrow evening.... I hope.

this shoulder surgery has got me down a little have shot turkeys with bow in past ,but no archery tell september 1st if things continue to improve. so friday the 25th my super x is coming out ! sure wish i could help team 12 with a bow kill "hopefully next year ". good luck to the rest of the team !! heck i am going to have trouble holding up a this shotgun. Pete53

Tagged out here last Monday. Broke down an let the 870 out of the cabinet to get the second bird. 19lbs 4oz, 10" beard, 3/4" and 7/8" spurs.

Matt

Guys sorry I havn't been on much . Family issues. got one more nite to get out before season ends. This weather this year has me screwed up .!!! In april we had temps in the 90's now in May it was all of upper 70's . Nothing is gobbling and when you do see one it is so scittish that the slights sound send them running. My usally place the state went in and tore it all up . "Removing all non-native spieces. They left big piles of these tree piled up every where you can almost see from one end of the property to the other. Tore out on of the big bur oaks they would roost in . YEA A OAK!!! it was almost 38" in dia.

Sorry for the rant .

Glad to see a few birds in this group.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast