Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Team #10 - Beamen's Taxidermists

History tells us that only about 24% of all hunters connect on a bird during the contest. It will take 6-7 hunters scoring birds for a team in order for that team to win.
    2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, Spitfire Gobbler Getter & G5 T3 broadheads; Scott Wolf release.

Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
    History tells us that only about 24% of all hunters connect on a bird during the contest. It will take 6-7 hunters scoring birds for a team in order for that team to win.
    dang, We can do it!!!
    * Back Road Bowhunter *

Congrats which evo is that you are shooting
    2012 Hoyt Vector 35 FOR SALE http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2067921
    FMJ 400 Slick Trick Mag 100 Axcel ArmorTech HD Pro and FOBs

Its my dads 2012 PSE dream season evo in the RMEF (Rocky mountain elk foundation) edition. He won it at the banquet.
    * Back Road Bowhunter *

Congrats!!
    '11 BowTech Destroyer 340 black ops

nice turkey. Congrats...good to see we are on the board.

I didn't have as much luck as the kid with our Nebr opener. Went to 2 different farms each I had roosted about 30 birds on. The first group flew down the opposite way and never responded. The second group I tried to set up on over mid day and they wouldn't come either. Got within 40 yards by crawling up on a strutting tom but there were too many eyes. I'll get out on Good Friday and hope to tag something then.

Taking a friend out tonight and tomarrow morning. Hopefully I can call somthing into range for him.
    * Back Road Bowhunter *

I had 5 come in to 40 yards and would not budge. They would not leave the hens. My friend never had a chance to shoot them but we had some good fishin in the creek
    * Back Road Bowhunter *

This time of year if you can't get a bird to come in, I guess the next best thing is a tight line! Our fishing season opens the third Saturday in April. Our turkey season opens the 25th, but I won't be able to get out until April 30. I have a lot to do between now and then (taxes, organize hunting gear, replace kitchen appliances, build some stuff, practice my shooting), but I'll be ready!
    2011 Destroyer 340; QAD Ultra Pro HD; Axcel 7 pin; Beman ICS Hunter; Slick Trick, Spitfire Gobbler Getter & G5 T3 broadheads; Scott Wolf release.

Wear a safety harness and use a Summit Climbing System: I hook up - for me and my family!!

Yeah it can't get here soon enough. This weather has got them really fired up and my wife and I are expecting our second child on sometime around the 22nd of this month. Hopefully I can get one down before then but it doesnt open till the 16th. Had one gobbling tonight not very far out the back door. Its killing me. Getting my food plot stuff ready at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
    This time of year if you can't get a bird to come in, I guess the next best thing is a tight line! Our fishing season opens the third Saturday in April. Our turkey season opens the 25th, but I won't be able to get out until April 30. I have a lot to do between now and then (taxes, organize hunting gear, replace kitchen appliances, build some stuff, practice my shooting), but I'll be ready!
    The fish are biting good! Limited out again tonight and I've caught well over 150fish since about March 10. I just fish for catfish in the creek by my house.
    * Back Road Bowhunter *

ill be leaving this oil rig tomorrow guys and be in the woods starting thursday from daylight til about 3 in the day until i get claim one with my shift o and i got a gilly suit was wondering how that would work while bow hunting
    Carbon Spyder 30 70# @ 29"....we put meat in the freezer!!!

I shot for 20 minutes over at the 3D range practice targets. Shot well at 20, 30, and 40. Not every day is this good, but here are the 2 arrows I shot at 40. I think I am ready for the season!
    Attached Images Attached Images

practice makes perfect buddy today was first day out and didnt hear a bird not to promising kinda makesme feel bad but hopefully something tomorrow
    Carbon Spyder 30 70# @ 29"....we put meat in the freezer!!!

Got out this morning. Setup about 60yrds from them on the roost. Had 4 jakes come in and a buddy took one with a bullhead broadhead. Still had birds gobblin so we moved about 300 yrds down the ridge and 6hrs later two toms came in only one left.

22lb
    10 1/8" beard
    7/8 and 3/4 spurs
    Score 58.5
    '11 BowTech Destroyer 340 black ops

^^^awesome bird!

* Back Road Bowhunter *

Dan, Congrats! And you put in a long hunt to get him. Very nice bird!!

Awesome Dan. Congrats on the bird. I am so ready to get out and hunt. Had a big tom strutting behind the house this morning with a hen. It's killing me to watch and listen to them and not chase em around. 9 more days for me.

Well, fish quit biting since about thursday So I'm after some more turkeys again!

Put some to bed tonight and hopefully I can call one in tomarrow morning.

Trying something new with the decoys......I'm just using a hen.

Been using a strutting tom with my hen decoy but some of the toms arn't liking it so I figured they would like the hen by itself better.

I can't wait to try it out
    * Back Road Bowhunter *

I had very good luck last year using 2 hens - one on the ground, the other on the stake, both set up about 8 yards from my blind, opposite the direction from where the birds roost. That was enough (and some good calling) to draw the toms into bow range.

My tom decoy was probably too intimidating for the toms in the area when I used it a few years ago.

By the way, I had a yote come in last year and rip one hen off her stake. He only took her a few yards and left her on the ground (while running away) with a good coat of saliva around her neck. Very cool experience, but no birds that day...

The toms stayed with the hens and never came in. Saw some very nice toms in the group and I hope I can get one either today or tomarrow. Going back out in a lil but to make two new blinds to set up on them. Don't think I will be able to call these ones in so I will have to set up where there coming and going from the roost.
    * Back Road Bowhunter *

I get 2 tags in Nebraska so I was going to be more than content to poke a jake last night, but I whiffed not once but twice. Back to the range for me. All I have to show for it is a baggie full of feathers. We still have a long season left and I'll get back after it but yesterday was a very humbling day. It's such a blast to call in birds from 75 yards out and watch them strut and gobble the whole way in but a real downer when you airball.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
    I get 2 tags in Nebraska so I was going to be more than content to poke a jake last night, but I whiffed not once but twice. Back to the range for me. All I have to show for it is a baggie full of feathers. We still have a long season left and I'll get back after it but yesterday was a very humbling day. It's such a blast to call in birds from 75 yards out and watch them strut and gobble the whole way in but a real downer when you airball.
    Sadly, I can relate. My first year hunting birds I took 2 neck shots (with Thunderheads on the arrows). Missed both at 15 yards and lost one of the arrows. The following year I used Spitfire Gobbler Getter expandables and decided to take a body shot. That year the bird went all of 8 feet. The next year (last year) my tom went about 20 yards. Good luck to you - I still have a few more weeks to wait.

This Team is my pick to WIN Hands Down this year!! I too missed the sign-up but Tom has seen what I have already "TAGGED OUT" this season.
    Good Luck Guys and have a Safe season!!
    Tom

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast