Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Team #5 - Blind Ambition

Awesome hunt. Way to go. Sounds like he was really interested in coming to the call. That's good. Well, now go get a big one and get some pics!
    "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss -
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Nice! Went out tonight i had gobbles everywhere but thursday i know where they are roosting so should be able to get some points.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark8907 View Post
    Yea I can kill one more in La and 3 more in Ga. Leaving to go there on Friday and stay until the 8th. No it wasn't a jake. He had a full fan and could carry out an entire gobble. We set up on a right away and had him roosted about 50 yds from us. Well right at daybreak all we could hear was hens all around him. We saw him and all the other birds fly down and as soon as he hit the ground he shut up. Well we went to try and cut them off the direction we though they were going. Well that didnt pay off. As a last ditch effort I told my buddy lets go setup in the middle of this bottom and Ill call to them a little bit and we will just see whats happens. Well I called on and off for about 25 mins and about 20 feet behind my buddy he sounded off. I about **** my pants...lol. Well my buddy being a Dumby like he is turned to look at the bird, well the bird start puttin and ran up on the ridge above us. Well we left the little wrap around blind thing there and went and got behind a huge pine tree. I called and he gobbled about 65 yds away. About 5 min went by and nothing I yelped really soft and saw his head running towards us. My buddy drew and never had a shot. By this time he is about 20 yds from us. I saw one opening I had to make a shot and drew ever so easily and as soon as he popped into that opening I did a light cluck. Stopped him and let one fly. End of bird. I never thought you could kill one with a bow w/o a blind, but I guess luck was just on our side.
    Sounds like a great hunt! Good luck on your trip to Ga.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Elite XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Monster bucks7 View Post
    Nice! Went out tonight i had gobbles everywhere but thursday i know where they are roosting so should be able to get some points.

Good luck!
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Elite XLR

Quote Originally Posted by gediger View Post
    Good luck!
    Thanks.

2 weeks from right now I will be set up and waitin' for 'em to fly down! I'm hoping you 3 and maybe some others will have birds on the board by then!
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

I will hopefully have a bird on the board This sat morning. Got some awesome land to hunt and grandpa is seeing tons of birds.
    Bowtech Invasion, Easton Axis Infused arrows, Whisker Biscuit rest, Montana black gold sight, 8in Doinker Dish, slick trick viper trick

Well tomorrow is the big day. There are two really nice toms using the pasture that I am hunting. They have been coming in like a clock everyday for a week now. There are a couple other toms using it but are not as big as these two. I dont think I will get much sleep tonight!
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Elite XLR

Quote Originally Posted by gediger View Post
    Well tomorrow is the big day. There are two really nice toms using the pasture that I am hunting. They have been coming in like a clock everyday for a week now. There are a couple other toms using it but are not as big as these two. I dont think I will get much sleep tonight!
    I see you are on right now. Back already must mean yo got one!
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Well it didnt go quite as planned. The two toms came in and were at 10 yards at one time but were on the wrong side of the blind. We had two pretty boys out but we later found out that was not a good decision. They had no interest in the decoys at all they avoided them like the plague. My buddy 12 ringed one of them and I missed the other one by about 2 inches at 25 yards. I think I will go back to slick tricks and shoot them in the body. His bird had about a 9" beard and little over and inch spurs. The other one was about the same. I am going to call a guy tonight about hunting a field right behind where I work there has been two mature toms in there for about a week now.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Elite XLR

I've never tried the Bullheads but I would think you'd need 'em in pretty tight to make an accurate shot. Maybe not. I might go pull my cards in a little bit here... good luck tomorrow! Can you hunt PMs?
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Had tow toms at 40 yards i was at full draw but thrn the hens ran off so of course tgey followed.

Well sitting in the truck now waiting for it to get a little more light. Been hunting with one of my buddys the last two mornings on his land trying to get him a bird but he don't really have enough land to.really hunt them. Hopefully these birds will cooperate this morning. Give Yall an update when I get done.
    Bowtech Invasion, Easton Axis Infused arrows, Whisker Biscuit rest, Montana black gold sight, 8in Doinker Dish, slick trick viper trick

Long day. Still sittin' in the truck? lol! Any luck?
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

I picked up a new decoy yesterday. It is one of those new avianx decoys from Zink calls it looks awesome.
    Last edited by gediger; April 4th, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: wrong picture posted
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Elite XLR

Nice. I just got my Peepin' Tom and Pretty Penny last year or the year before. I'm stickin' with them 'cause I just can't spend any more $$ on stuff! Just think what the decoys will look like in 2 more years!
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Going on a scouting mission tomorrow morning.
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Clear and 32 degrees. Lots of gobbling to the North of me about 200-300 yards across an open weed field. A guy and his daughter are in the middle of the field in a box blind maybe 150 yards from me and 100 from my property line. It is the youth hunting weekend. I'm in a ladder stand just listening and watching. 0600 the birds are just gobbling up a storm. Sounds like at least a half a dozen. POWPOW. That fast, 2 shots from the field. I never saw the birds and the hunters did not get out of the blind, must have missed. 0740 a hen runs across the field and a minute later is followed by a tom, also running. Did not react to the guys decoys, just ran after that hen. Those were the only two I actually saw. Got down at 0830 and set up my blind for Wednesday. Pulled the cards from the 2 cams that I still have out. Looks like the turkeys are coming onto mine to dust and strut in the afternoon. Deer, coons, possums and coyotes are there in the night. Pics later.
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Here's a few pics. I have to remember how to make them smaller in order to upload the others. Why is that? I hate that. 3rd pic is a bearded hen.
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Here we go. I guess I will have to sit tight all day Wednesday.

08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Well after numerous botched hunts I was finally able to seal the deal on a nice tom this morning. He came in with a jake and two hens I got a perfect broadside shot at about 20yds. I got a clean pass through and he went 15 yds and laid down and didnt move after that. He ended up having an 8.75" beard, 7/8" and 3/4" spurs and weighed 20lbs. He is not the biggest tom I have shot but with a bow I will take it.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Elite XLR

Obviously you gave up on the Bullheads. What did you use?
    08.5 Elite Z28-AT
    2013 Elite Answer-Snow

Congrats on the kill!

Thanks I wouldnt say gave up on them since I had one nocked when he came in. But the way I had my blind setup and where he was I figured a regular broadhead would work better. I shot him with an 125gr. grizz trick 2. I am going to give that spot a couple days to calm down. I am probably going to go back out Wednesday. I still want to try the bullheads on one.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    Elite XLR

Went out tonight and had two groups on both sides of me but they didnt come into range.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast