Thread: Wing Archery

Wing Archery

Was cleaning out the closet today and ran across a Wing Presentation II. It has a black riser with white limbs. The serial number is HH485 S on the riser in silver hand paint. The limbs have matching serial numbers LA-780. Its rated for 42# at 64" and 40X @ 68". Can anyone tell me anything about this bow? Is it something I should keep or get rid of. Can I shoot it? I'm not a seasoned recurve shooter, so I don't really know what to look for.

Bo

I would keep that bow. Read some information I found at http://www.archeryhistory.com/recurves/recurvesmain.htm and http://www.bobleearchery.com/history.html

In regard to shooting the bow, see the posting by curverbowruss at http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...threadid=14250

For your information and if you are interested perhaps you might attend and bring the bow to the 7th Buckhorn Traditional Archery Rendezvous May 17-18 at Stockbridge Sportsman Club, Mass. You could show the bow to Walter of Southern New England Traditonal Archery and Ray of Lost Nation Archery and get their opinions.

John Rook and Lenny Rock will be the guests for the weekend! The American Broadhead Collector's Club will have their 29th Annual meeting (first time on the East Coast).

Hope to see you there.

That bow will probably be a real shooter. Wings were (are) great bows. Just check to make sure that there are no signs of delamination of the limbs from improper storage. Otherwise go ahead and enjoy a real piece of history. By the way, the "40X @ 68" marking means the limbs are 41# when coupled with a riser giving an overall 68" length.
    Jack

Well thats good to know. I was going to junk it. How long should the string be? Its a 64" version. So what should I start with. I put a string thats a bit too long on today just to draw it. Draw feels smooth to me. It also has an original "Wing" arrow rest too. I haven't figured out how to get my webspace working yet, so I can't post pictures. It was purchased at a yardsale for like $2 so I guess it was a good buy. Has some splattered paint where someone appeared not to move it when painting something else. Other than that its not in bad shape considering how old it it. Wierd thing is, the riser is painted black with some metallic flake. Its factory paint, but all the pictures I've seen have been wood grain handles.

Bo

Paws and Floxter are all wrong - it's a piece of junk...Tell you what, I'll take it off your hands so you don't have to worry about it. I'll even give you back the $2 you paid for it and pay for postage.....

Seriously, it's a great bow if it's in shootable condition. Dacron string should be about 60" unstretched, brace height should end up around 8.5" (my opinion).

A P-II was my first target bow - I remember getting one in the original case from Kittredge Bow Hut in California, with 3 sets of limbs for something like $125, maybe 30 years ago. When I think of what I ended up doing to it, it almost makes me cry. (It involved a hacksaw and drill...)

Thanks for all the help guys. Any idea on how old this bow is? It is not drilled for sights. It has an original wing "brush" rest on it too. I probably won't take that off either.

Bo

Probably 1968-1970, somewhere in there. This is just a guess, but my P-II had a fairly thick grip area and I think it was one of the earlier models. I bought it used around '73.

Later they made the grip a bit more slim and came up with the target-painted risers. Wing started to come up with metal-riser target bows shortly after the 1972 Olympics, and had '72 Gold Medalist John Williams shooting a couple of their early models in photos in an instruction book. They around 74 or 75 they made the "Competition II" which Luann Ryon used to win the gold in '76.

I have a P-II that I shoot on a regular basis. It has a beautiful riser of half black phenolic and half rosewood. It has two pairs of limbs 70" & 45# and 64" & 55#. It's quite a shooter. It doesn't hold a candle to the new FITA bows but then I wouldn't expect it to. I also have a gorgeous Bear Tamerlane target recurve of the same vintage. They really made some great recurves in the good old days. Of course, they still do!

These bows don't have nearly the resale value they should, IMHO. P-IIs and Tamerlanes go for less then $300 all the time unless they're in heavier weights.

The all black riser was built in the late 60s early 70s.Some where around 1970-1972 they changed the riser to a two tone as mentioned earlier. I still have the one I shot in 70-71 at Cobo hall in Detroit. I used that bow for a third place finish back then. FYI the first 300 shot at a major indoor was a Wing and it was shot by Jim Ploen, he shot that score some where around 1969 time frame. To the best of my knowledge Jim no resides in Texas. He was one of the two men to start the 21st Century long bow company. Jim was the Wing rep for Wisconsin in the old days.

Found around the web -

http://www.bobleearchery.com/takedowns.html
    1963 Bob produced the Presentation II

http://www.bobleearchery.com/bicentennial.html
    best-selling Presentation II (1965), the first laminated three-piece bow ever produced.

From other webpages -

Wing Archery was started by Bob Lee about 1951-1953. Wing Archery (when compand bows were becoming popular) was sold to AMF (American Machine and Foundry, the bowling company) about 1968. Wing Archery a division of AMF went out of business in early 1990's.

Bob Lee Archery (same person) was started in mid-1980's.

I have had probably seven Bob Lee bows over the last decade. Presently still do have a Classic recurve 62 AMO, a Charlotte Lee recurve with purple riser and white limbs, and the New Bicentennial longbow; and the wife has a new Bob Lee Stick, special ordered with a wine and wine riser and maple limbs.

FYI the first 300 shot at a major indoor was a Wing and it was shot by Jim Ploen, he shot that score some where around 1969 time frame.
    That turns out to be not the case. The first 300 (PAA round, same as NFAA today) was shot by Bob Bitner at Vegas in 1965, I believe using a Golden Eagle bow. He lost the event that year to Lester Gervais who shot a 300 the next day. This was of course pre-compound/release.

Hey Stash, I looked up my facts, you may be correct. Jim is credited with the first 300 on the east coast. He was a two time international indoor champion. I am not sure of the dates. It was well before compounds ro release aids. He was also the desingner of the 21st century longbow. He and Buddy Stamper were partners in that indeavor. They both used to work for Wing in the old days.

Wing Archery "Presentation II"

Would you be willing to sell the bow? extreme68@comcast.net

King -

You realize this thread is almost 8 years old, right?

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”