Thread: 3D fat shaft suggestions...?

3D fat shaft suggestions...?

Going w/fattys this season, about 27" @ 57-60#, I don't make a habit of spending $200 on arrows so what are some good, more affordable fat shafts?
    Xpedition Xcentric
    Xpedition Xplorer
    Limbdriver
    Stan/Scott
    VAP/Swhacker

Goldtip Xcutters are an excellant fat shaft. Shot them for years. put around 120 grns in front.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Yep either GT Xcutters or 22's. at 57-60lbs and 27 inches I would go with the GT 22 Pros. With 80 grain tips they will weigh right around 300 grains for ya or if you have a really fast bow you can add tip weight to slow them down if needed.
    centralohiocoonhuntersassociat ion.com

I say Triple x's!

Fatboys.. The reason why? You can get them in different spines so they actually work in your bow. I find the GT 22's, xcutters, and the 30x arrows are like shooting a piece of rebar and they are to unforgiving. You cannot add enough weight to break down the spine. Well you could I guess but you would be shooting 300grs out front...

I shoot fullbores at 27.5in 64lbs they shoot great at 28.5" 370gr. total weight. Fatboys are good choice but i never found they were consistent enough on the spine tester.

I just got a dozen xjammers and I went with the 100 grain tips, they are giving me 286 fps at 360 grains out of my 58 lb bow. I have only had them 2 weeks and I did have to group tune them at 50 yds by turning the nocks but they seem to be grouping pretty well. In the wind yesterday I shot many baseball size groups at 40 yds and was rattling many arrows. My friend told me that they even group better with 125 grain tips so I am going to get some and build my remaining 6 arrows with the 125 grain tips and see how they group compared to the 100's. I did shoot a 300 58x with them last week before I group tuned them so I think they are going to be all right but are a work in progress since they are my first attempt at fat arrows.

Going to give the Victory X ringer 350s a try. I'll make one or two arrows and see what I get as far as tuning. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell them. I'm a little apprehensive about a one spine fits all scenario though I am a GT fan.
    Xpedition Xcentric
    Xpedition Xplorer
    Limbdriver
    Stan/Scott
    VAP/Swhacker

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Fatboys.. The reason why? You can get them in different spines so they actually work in your bow. I find the GT 22's, xcutters, and the 30x arrows are like shooting a piece of rebar and they are to unforgiving. You cannot add enough weight to break down the spine. Well you could I guess but you would be shooting 300grs out front...
    Have you actually shot 22's? I have been shotting them for years and they fly like darts out of every bow I have ever used. I havent heard anyone that has actually shot them ever say good things about them. And yes I have tried Fatboys!

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    I just got a dozen xjammers and I went with the 100 grain tips, they are giving me 286 fps at 360 grains out of my 58 lb bow. I have only had them 2 weeks and I did have to group tune them at 50 yds by turning the nocks but they seem to be grouping pretty well. In the wind yesterday I shot many baseball size groups at 40 yds and was rattling many arrows. My friend told me that they even group better with 125 grain tips so I am going to get some and build my remaining 6 arrows with the 125 grain tips and see how they group compared to the 100's. I did shoot a 300 58x with them last week before I group tuned them so I think they are going to be all right but are a work in progress since they are my first attempt at fat arrows.
    300/58...Good shootin padgett!

Another vote for gold tip x-cutters. When shooting a stiff shaft you'll want a taller vane such as a blazer.

Ultralight series 22's, 100 grn tips and 2.3" duravanes.

the last dozen fatboys I got were sealed in plastic, opened them and 1 was cracked in package, emailed them and to this day they never did anything, so fatboys are trash in my eyes, I shoot Gold Tip 22 and never had a problem

I shoot an SR 71 @ about 61ish lbs. about 27" arrows. I will say, the last time someone told me I was over spined w/this bow, it shot field tips, broad heads and bare shafts same P.O.I. out to 30 yds. and I robin hooded the BH arrow w/the bare shaft so she seems to like a stiffer arrow....I just ordered a dozen X ringer HV 350s which I realize is on the stiff side so I'll make 1 maybe 2 arrows and see what I get. If not than for sale!
    Xpedition Xcentric
    Xpedition Xplorer
    Limbdriver
    Stan/Scott
    VAP/Swhacker

All the shafts mentioned make great targets for the next archer up. Hope you put it in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsp View Post
    All the shafts mentioned make great targets for the next archer up. Hope you put it in the middle.
    Yea I've been knocked out of the x ring by fat shaft bushings. It works both ways.

I highly recommend the X-Jammer 27 Pro's. I shoot mine with 120gr points, full Blazer vanes, Shrewd uni-bushings, and QAD nocks. They tune easy, and group great at 40yds.

Quote Originally Posted by drtnshtr View Post
    Have you actually shot 22's? I have been shotting them for years and they fly like darts out of every bow I have ever used. I havent heard anyone that has actually shot them ever say good things about them. And yes I have tried Fatboys!
    Yes I have actually. Both 22's and the xcutters. I find the fat boys better

There is a reason that arrow companies make different spines of arrows. You cannot tell me that a .350 or .25o spine of arrow fits EVERYOnE. They are so stiff once you start cutting them and shooting them at target draw weights. Full length out of a 70# bow with 125gr up front might make them spine out properly...

22's are good shafts guys but they arent a fat shaft. They fit inside my fullbores or xxx's a whole different animal.

ok, here's one...how do I cut fat shafts that are too fat to fit in the groove of the arrow saw??
    Xpedition Xcentric
    Xpedition Xplorer
    Limbdriver
    Stan/Scott
    VAP/Swhacker

use the tail bushing with no nock in it. firmly hold the shaft/bushing into the slot and spin away. I have done this with all 27 shafts and checked the hardware for straightness after and they are perfect. Make sure you account for the measurement will be different. short by 1/2 or so.

Has anyone used Goldtip Ultralight 30X Pro's? I shoot 3d and I am thinking of trying these arrows.