Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 AT, West Forum, "Post up your elk sounds" Part 3 Grunts/Chuckles with Bugles

Quote Originally Posted by >>>---WW----> View Post
    I've been to the Bowhunters Jam a few times. Two first, one second, and one third. They have changed the rules now. If you have ever won there, you are not allowed to partisipate. It has gone down hill since then. I judged it last year and there was only one adult that entered. He ended up just doing a demonstration sequence and wasn't all that good at that.
    Now that's one I need to check out... might stand a chance at staying mid-pack at a competition like this... lol!

Quote Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
    Now that's one I need to check out... might stand a chance at staying mid-pack at a competition like this... lol!
    You have not been to a CBA Jamboree? Camp Hale is a nice place and the CBA runs a pretty good shindig.
    Passion for the outdoors is what drives me, but respect for it and all that live there is what makes it live on.

Quote Originally Posted by gselkhunter View Post
    You have not been to a CBA Jamboree? Camp Hale is a nice place and the CBA runs a pretty good shindig.
    I've never called competitively before. Wasn't sure that I belonged on stage until the ISE in Denver this year. I know that I'm a far cry from the top-level callers out there... but I believe that I could have done OK in the adult division. I wish I could find some coaching near Denver! Still have a lot to learn!

I have listened to your sound tracks here Taco. Sounds to me like you could do very well at the Jamboree. The Jam will be July 20-22 at Quail Mt. just south of Leadville this year. Good luck to you if you enter.

Quote Originally Posted by >>>---WW----> View Post
    I have listened to your sound tracks here Taco. Sounds to me like you could do very well at the Jamboree. The Jam will be July 20-22 at Quail Mt. just south of Leadville this year. Good luck to you if you enter.
    I agree WW.. Taco can make some sweet elk sounds
    Alpine Archery F1 Fireball
    "Sir, left side Sir!" "Are you sure Private Pyle?"
    Elknut Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom16 View Post
    I agree WW.. Taco can make some sweet elk sounds
    Thanks fellas, I greatly appreciate the kind words.

If you guys can pinpoint anything that I need work on, I'm all ears!

Thanks fellas, I greatly appreciate the kind words.

If you guys can pinpoint anything that I need work on, I'm all ears!
    Give me a 2 note growl, into a 3 note bugle, drop back half a pitch, drop into a buzz, into grunts.
    This is the John Sarkisian standard bugle. This set the standard for competition back in the day.
    Passion for the outdoors is what drives me, but respect for it and all that live there is what makes it live on.

Give me a 2 note growl, into a 3 note bugle, drop back half a pitch, drop into a buzz, into grunts.
    This is the John Sarkisian standard bugle. This set the standard for competition back in the day.
    Have a sound clip of this?

Have a sound clip of this?
    No but I sure can make one. It won't be until later, I won't get off work until 3pm.

this ought to get good
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    this ought to get good
    So show him David. Don't wait for me. You have seen me do it.

So show him David. Don't wait for me. You have seen me do it.
    ummm i don't think thats what he had in mind Gregg but i will see what i can do when i get home tonight. it looks like you will be getting home from work before me though so you may as well go ahead and post up. don't bother waiting for me i guess i better chew on this HS 3.5 and get it broke in

I'm honestly not sure that I have the control required for doing this, but I'll give it my honest best! If I can't do it now, it'll be my goal before elk season. I'd like to hear some other people give this a whirl too... I don't want to feel like the only failure around here, LOL!!!

I specifically want to hear the two-note growl at the beginning. It seems like I get too high of pitch when I tried to do this on my way to work this morning... I didn't have enough range left for the 3-note bugle that was SUPPOSED to follow! Also, on the buzz, are you talking with a lip bawl, or just a growl tone at the end?

I like this exercise, though. It seems to have all of the components, and seems to be the ultimate demonstration of control. I can't wait to hear what this is supposed to sound like so we all have something concrete to strive for!

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    ummm i don't think thats what he had in mind Gregg but i will see what i can do when i get home tonight. it looks like you will be getting home from work before me though so you may as well go ahead and post up. don't bother waiting for me i guess i better chew on this HS 3.5 and get it broke in
    Am I seeing feathers again?

Am I seeing feathers again?
    oh geeze! see what you started Eltaco? this is a sound that a guy must know to enter competition. all i want to do is call in and kill a herd bull. surely it's easier to call in and kill a herd bull than appease a judge at a competition GS i accept that challenge. i will have that call down before september

Cut out the long winded cow calls. Judges now days are looking for cow/calf herd talk with maybe an estrus buzz thrown in. Sometimes they may ask for a cow bugle. ( And yes, cows do bugle)

Get on youtube and listen to Rockie Jacobsen's instruction. There are a bunch of his vids on there. On one of them he tells you the spacific calls the judges may ask for for, both cow and bull sounds.

Elk calling competitions aren't like they used to be where you could get up there and strut your stuff. They have taken the fun out of it. I gave it up years ago for several verious reasons. Basically, in the larger contest, if you can finish in the top ten, you are a winner. It's all about what the judges want to hear on a given day.

Also, in a contest, the judges usually sit behind a curtain so they can't see who is doing the calling on stage. I always tried to figure out just where they were seated and got as close to that curtain as possible. Then I'd start my bugling sequence with the meanest/ wickedest bugle I could muster up and try to blow the judge right out of his chair. Then I would tone it down and get into the rest of my sounds. Remember, you are calling to the judges, not the crowd. So make the majority of your calls toward the curtain.

WW I always started small and built it up. Kept in the top 10 for a while. I don't like the rule changes either, one of the reasons I quit too.

[QUOTE=eltaco;1063675195] I'd like to hear some other people give this a whirl too... I don't want to feel like the only failure around here, LOL!!! QUOTE]

don't worry. we'll stand behind you and cheer you on seriously though we will be giving it a whirl. we won't leave you hanging. i'm good at sounding bad so i can almost guarentee you that next to my calling you will sound pretty darn good

Eltaco when Rory and I talked about this thread the plan was to help people become better callers. Reed control is what helps people progress. Hearing sounds isn’t enough for some people to be able to reproduce those sounds. That is why I put the break downs in here. If you can practice a call step by step you learn the reed control necessary to make the call.
    Competition calling is advanced calling let’s face it. Not only must your calling be right on but it is a nerve racking event. Audience and judges puts a lot of pressure on you. Now you have to control butterflies as well as your reed. I like the pressure.
    The reason I picked this call is it gives me a great view of how I can best help you. WW has been there so he will be a great asset also.

I won't get off work until 3pm.
    Off at 3.... must be nice
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

Quote Originally Posted by JG358 View Post
    Off at 3.... must be nice
    I work for the government Jake. However I start at 6:30am.

I work for the government Jake. However I start at 6:30am.
    I wish I could sleep in that late.

Heck, I'll probably drive by you on your way home if I'm not already home by 3
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

OK boys, not very polished but here it is.
    http://soundcloud.com/gselkhunter/video0012

OK boys, not very polished but here it is.
    http://soundcloud.com/gselkhunter/video0012
    Alright, here's my best attempt. Thought it sounded okay ... but I'll be curious to hear some thoughts from you seasoned competition callers!

If nothing else... hopefully I can at least fool a bull with it this fall!

http://soundcloud.com/eltaco/bugling-trial

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast