Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold VX-R 2x7x32 FireDot Reticle 30mm

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock1776 View Post
    As I get older my yes appreciate the red dot cross bow scope I have. I have a Leupold 3x9x50mm on my 30.06 but it is not illuminated. I love the Leupold and it has served me well for decades. Maybe the last scope I but will be the illuminated Leupold if they come out with a 50mm or bigger objective
    Leupold offers that VX-R in a 3x9x50 with the FireDot reticle & the CDS system.

TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

Quote Originally Posted by 202gwg View Post
    Leupold offers that VX-R in a 3x9x50 with the FireDot reticle & the CDS system.
    Oh, boy! Another toys for boys item I have to add to my Bucket List!

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock1776 View Post
    Oh, boy! Another toys for boys item I have to add to my Bucket List!
    The Leupold 3x9x50 with Duplex FireDot is part # 110688

The Leupold 3x9x50 with Duplex FireDot with the CDS ( Custom Dial System ) is part # 112195

The VX-R 3x9x40 CDS with the elevation turret dial calibrated for the drop from a 25 yard zero threw 60 yards eliminates the need for the HHA Optimizer.
    I finally got around too shooting some today. I'm about half way done getting my yardage's for getting the CDS dial set up. I'm using the top dot in my current scope & zeroed it for 25 yards. At 30 yards it's 4'' low, 35 yards is 8.5'' low. Now I just have to get the 40 threw 60 yard drop every 5 yards. When I get my VX-R 3x9x40 CDS Leupold scope & send everything into Leupold they can calibrate the CDS turret.

I finished shooting the 40 plus yard increment's today. The 40 yard drop was 12.5'' 45 yards was 18.5'' & 50 yards was 25'' low, I stopped there. After a call to Leupold I had my bubble busted on my project. The adjustment values change to much, at 100 yards 4 clicks equal 1 inch or 1 MOA. At 50 yards that value doubles, 8 clicks for 1 inch. The Leupold engineer told me the adjustment values for the drop at those yardages just are not realistic.
    All was not lost, I got to shoot my crossbow a lot the last two days & learned some things.

So back to my original plan with the VX-R 2x7x33 Fire Dot Duplex with the HHA Optimizer.

Well atleast you are getting in some quality practice ! lol
    Excalibur Relayer Y25, Matrix 405 MEGA
    DTM 330 SS, DTM 355 SS
    TenPoint Venom

I finished shooting the 40 plus yard increment's today. The 40 yard drop was 12.5'' 45 yards was 18.5'' & 50 yards was 25'' low, I stopped there. After a call to Leupold I had my bubble busted on my project. The adjustment values change to much, at 100 yards 4 clicks equal 1 inch or 1 MOA. At 50 yards that value doubles, 8 clicks for 1 inch. The Leupold engineer told me the adjustment values for the drop at those yardages just are not realistic.
    All was not lost, I got to shoot my crossbow a lot the last two days & learned some things.

So back to my original plan with the VX-R 2x7x33 Fire Dot Duplex with the HHA Optimizer.
    I was interested in how that was going to work Gil, I was hoping it would work but had my doubts, glad you got to shoot a bunch,
    I have been beating myself up trying to decide on illuminated x hair or dot, I want a very small dot in the xhair in a 3-9x40 and compact, to go on another HHA for my second 380., Barska makes a 3-9x40 with illuminated full crosshair, I'm not sure about the quality though...
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Yeah guy's all's good when shooting the crossbow...lol. I forgot about the MOA values increasing on scope adjustments for yardages closer than 100 yards. It all worked in the plan that I put together in my mind. The Leupold engineer started telling me at 40 plus yards it would require over 100 clicks for the drop to get out to those ranges.

Gil I'm sure you've looked at the Parker Pin Point,yes?
    NRA Member !

Quote Originally Posted by randyxx75 View Post
    Gil I'm sure you've looked at the Parker Pin Point,yes?
    No, I haven't looked at it real good yet. What can I say, I'm a Leupold fanboy. Their customer service locked me in years ago !

Why is it I have no problem spending big bucks on a quality scope for my rifle yet I flinch at $400 for a Leupold for my crossbow? And I use the crossbow for twice as many days afield! Good optics are invaluable!

Yeah I know what you mean. I have two 8.5x25x50 Vari X III's on a couple rifles & have gotten real accustomed to looking through that glass.

No, I haven't looked at it real good yet. What can I say, I'm a Leupold fanboy. Their customer service locked me in years ago !
    I'm a Leupold guy myself and have quite a few on my centerfire and muzzleloader rifles. VX3 is my choice. For my 380, I changed out to the Red Hot Pin Point recently. I like it so far. A simple very short turn of the range dial and it hit's the bullseye. Unaffected by scope power change. It is a Hawke XB30 with a single illuminated reticle and adjustable yardage. I won't recommend it because I haven't hunted with it. But I like it so far. If you range your deer with a laser (I do or already lasered some obvious shot avenues). Twist the dial to match the laser reading and shoot. Any deer 30 yards or less is pretty much toast set on 30 so that's where I plan to leave it. The only thing I don't like is the loose fitting scope caps.

One thing to note, you change the arrow weight in any fashion and the yardage turret obviously isn't accurate (Leupold or any scope with adjustable yardage including the speed dial I believe). You're locked in to that combo. The Parker provides blank tapes that fixes that (I think speed dial does also). Just my experience so far. Hope the Leupold works for you!
    Horizontal - 2011 SZ 380 - Accuspine 20" - 125 gr Spitfires - Firenock - Parker Red Hot Pin Point
    Vertical - 2009 Hoyt Alpha Max 35 - Beeman Hunter Elite 400 - 125 gr Wasp SST - Bone Collector fiber optic 4 pin

web, is the dot big? the HHA scope s dot covers a 2" dot at 30 yds? Im wanting a small center dot and someone told me they thought the dots were the same size? thanks
    NRA Member !

web, is the dot big? the HHA scope s dot covers a 2" dot at 30 yds? Im wanting a small center dot and someone told me they thought the dots were the same size? thanks
    Randy, it says it is a 4 MOA dot. When I sighted in the tape, I don't remember the dot being too big. It is adjustable in intensity and can be switched between red and green. I admit to using it on it's brightest red setting and wasn't bothered by the dot size. As I recall at 50 yards, the dot was basically the same size as the 1 1/4" bullseye on my target. Sorry I can't be more precise. I only had that one extended shooting incident and then weather and home chores sucked me away LOL. Hope that helps anyway Randy.
    Horizontal - 2011 SZ 380 - Accuspine 20" - 125 gr Spitfires - Firenock - Parker Red Hot Pin Point
    Vertical - 2009 Hoyt Alpha Max 35 - Beeman Hunter Elite 400 - 125 gr Wasp SST - Bone Collector fiber optic 4 pin

Yep, it sounds about the same size, are there any "clicks" to the speed turret or smooth turning? thanks again! and 10-4 on the chores! I had to replace my shower faucet this weekend, I hate sweating copper in a wall !...lol
    NRA Member !

I have the pin point scope myself. It is a nice scope. I have shot with it out to 75 yards. Out to 50 yards you can do some pretty precise shooting with it. The turret is smooth turn. It does take a little time to get it calibrated.

Yep, it sounds about the same size, are there any "clicks" to the speed turret or smooth turning? thanks again! and 10-4 on the chores! I had to replace my shower faucet this weekend, I hate sweating copper in a wall !...lol
    Randy, the speed turret is smooth (no clicks). Hmmm, kinda a toss up between your pipe work and my stacking 15 face cord of wood LOL. I think I prefer the wood actually :-D)

Quote Originally Posted by geekster View Post
    I have the pin point scope myself. It is a nice scope. I have shot with it out to 75 yards. Out to 50 yards you can do some pretty precise shooting with it. The turret is smooth turn. It does take a little time to get it calibrated.
    Oops - didn't see you already answered the turret question. I agree with all you said!

Thanks geekster, 50 yds is plenty far for me !

web that makes my back hurt just thinking about it !
    NRA Member !

Hi Webfarmer, dont mean to get off the subject. what does your aerobolts weigh?

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with the Leupold VX-R 2x7x32 FireDot Duplex reticle scope ? I finally found what I've been looking for. A high quality illuminated dot duplex reticle scope with all the goodies in a scope along with a 30mm main tube.
    I believe that scope on top of a HHA Optimizer would be the cat's behind on my Phantom !
    Been eyeing that one up since it came out...looks like a winner

WebFarmer did not get AeroBolt! He got Gold Tip 20" Laser II with Firenock Aerovane II in 3 fletch configuration, and Firenock C3 with EZcoil from me. The specific "Arrow" weight in at about 310grains without a point, just remember that the Laser II comes with 110 brass insert; the Firenock C with extreme shock end cap and EZcoil is 32 grains.
    Dorge O Huang dorgeh@firenock.com • Office: (815) 780-1695 • Fax: (309) 356-5007
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: http://www.firenock.com • Web Store: http://shop.firenock.com
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane Jig, iBowSight™, AeroRest™, APS (Arrow Preparation System), AeroPoint™ with FACT(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, Aero Concept Target System, and Hydro® systems.

I was interested in how that was going to work Gil, I was hoping it would work but had my doubts, glad you got to shoot a bunch,
    I have been beating myself up trying to decide on illuminated x hair or dot, I want a very small dot in the xhair in a 3-9x40 and compact, to go on another HHA for my second 380., Barska makes a 3-9x40 with illuminated full crosshair, I'm not sure about the quality though...
    I find ... illuminated crosshairs distracting. I try to focus intently on a small spot on my target. An illuminated dot fits into my preferred technique. I find the bright crosshair can pull my focus from the target into the scope. It's too overpowering ... for me. As to Barska optics, not for me.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

I agree on the illuminated full cross hair being a lot of light and washing out the target, I do like the illuminated center dot, and yes the Barska isn't top shelf by any means ...
    NRA Member !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast