Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Im changing career paths....help me

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.thorn318 View Post
    I am in the same boat...I'm a PE teacher and am contemplating a career change...Just don't know if I can pass up on teh weekends and holidays off. I cherrish my Fall break during deer season and Spring break for Turkeys. Looking at the above options, it seems RN is the way to go..I might be mistaken, but can you get a degree in nursing in 2 years?
    They have the 2 year programs but most turn out to be more like 3 years. In just about all programs there is a wait to get in to the clinical portion of class. Generally you have to apply a couple times before you get in to that portion. I went to a private school where I paid a little more but did not have to wait for clinicals.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo, 413 gr Gold Tip XT's, 307 fps, TT Smackdown, BG Ascent

if you are into health care, look into what the Army has to offer, they have programs that pay back all or the majority of your student loans! I have 13yrs in now and if I could go back and do things over, I would hve taken advantage of some of the AMEDD scholarships. Im too old to apply now, If you are at all interested, let me know and i will get more information for you.

Stoney

Im an RN. If your going medical go for this not Xray. You can do each in 2 years but you'll make a lot more as an RN and find a job easier. Nothing against Xray techs I have a lot of family and friends that are Xray techs but I also have a friend who is an Xray tech that works at liberty mutual doing a job that pays more and have NOTHING to do with her degree. PM me if you want some info on nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneyN View Post
    if you are into health care, look into what the Army has to offer, they have programs that pay back all or the majority of your student loans! I have 13yrs in now and if I could go back and do things over, I would hve taken advantage of some of the AMEDD scholarships. Im too old to apply now, If you are at all interested, let me know and i will get more information for you.

Stoney

a caveat to the above, they have some programs that commission you as a 2nd Lt, you get full pay and benefits while still going to school.

im going to school for ag, graduated with my AAS in dairy science and 1 year away from my B. Tech in dairy herd management. im going to be my own boss, couldnt stand working for someone else. man people told me i made a bad choice, but listening to you guys i feel a million times better
    PSE Omen 29" 66#,viper sight, NAP apache rest, gold tip pro hunters, grim reapers
    PSE Militia member
    certified professional redneck

Just changed paths myself and ended up in the steel business. I see it as a blessing from God. The steel business is booming right now and I got in with a great company. Looking like I'll be getting into the sales side of it all and will end up with a new truck, whatever I want as I'll get a hefty vehicle allowance. Also company provided health insurance and a really nice 401K package.

I truly feel as if I have blessed by God for what he has done for me job wise since September.
    100% certified Beak Freak...

I too have just finished my schooling in criminal justice with hopes of being a police officer but finding out the job opportunities are scarce. The ones that are available are being filled by officers who had been laid off from other departments or people with military experience. I have found so far that my degree was essentially worthless.

I have also been also thinking of going back to school to pursue an education in nursing, its a career that can be gratifying and also profitable. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I have racked up thousands of dollars in school loans for something that I cant use.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by montigre View Post
    [....]physician assistant, [.........] why stop just halfway up the ladder???
    No offense to physician's assistants, but isnt that the same as stopping half way up the ladder?

Quote Originally Posted by Fortyneck View Post
    In any field who you know makes a huge difference.
    For sure! I honestly know people that got accepted to med school and never even took the MCATs, never had an interview, etc...Thats no joke.
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

Radiology and X-Ray tech....is the way to go .... Stay in the Medical field.....
    2005 C.P ONEIDA BLACK EAGLE-TRU GLO 6 PIN SIGHT-LIMB SAVER STAB.-3-D ROVER TM.HUNTER REST-60 LBS.-31 IN. DL.-301/2 IN. 2413.XX78 ARROW..MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.WISHED I HAD SOME.

Quote Originally Posted by mn5503 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend police. RN is the way to go these days.
    Solid advice here. I'm an officer and would have gone to school for nursing if I could do it all over again.

If you decide to do law enforcement, don't waste your money on a criminal justice degree. IMO it means very little and really doesn't put you at the top of the list as a recruit.

Medical field gets my vote.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31 w/RKT's *APG*
    '13 Obsession Knightmare

I'm a retired Peace Officer. LE is tough to get into...Michigan graduates some 8-10,000 criminal justice majors per year for some 3-400 job openings in police work. Oh there are jobs as security guards and prison guards...but most want to be cops. Here in Michigan the cities and state are broke. Massive manpower reductions, mostly through attrition are taking place. Every new contract is full of wage and benefit take backs. Most state and local governments are feeling the pinch. The days of government jobs providing secure employment are over. Layoffs and cutbacks are the new reality. I wish it wasn't so.

Health care will always be needed especially as society ages. The government control of health care is imminent disaster for the industry. As government tries to contain costs...care rationing and cutback on personnel and services are inevitable. The same things that are happening with police/fire/education cut backs will happen with health care.

Healthcare. Job security for many years to come.
    2014 Elite Energy 35 - Perfected Excellence
    Spot Hogg - World's Toughest
    Doinker - World's #1 Stabilizer
    G5 - Designed To Hunt
    Lone Wolf - Your Silent Partner

Your just in the wrong location. Education is a great job to be in around my area . Health care is and will always have plenty of jobs. School has better benefits from what I have seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottprice View Post
    Ive made a decision...im definately getting out of education. Not only are there few Health and Physical education jobs out there...but a bunch of schools by me are closing due to all the job cuts.....so im OUT of health and phys ed....

Im considering
    -radiology/xray tech
    -police/state trooper
    -Physical therapy asistant

any feedback on these in terms of benefits, pay, family time, hunting time, job outlook, vacation time etc etc etc
    AUTHORIZED DEALER !!SITKA GEAR, CORE 4 ELEMENT... ASAT CAMO... PREDATOR CAMO...OBSESSION BOWS... PRIME BOWS... PSE BOWS...BOSS BUCK FEEDERS,,GRIZZLY COOLERS,,,LONE WOLF TREESTANDS. MILLENNIUM TREESTANDS AND MANY MORE. EASTON ARROWS. GOLD TIP ARROWS,, STOKERIZED STABILIZERS,, B-STINGER AND MOST ANYTHING HUNTING RELATED WWW.SOUTHERNSTYLEARCHERY.COM

around here nothing pays well but the cost of living isnt that bad if your careful with your money. I would also recommend the medical field over law enforcement as there is lots of things you can learn and change into once you learn more. Also the job security and pay should be what you want. Teachers make less in MS than anywhere in the country I think.
    Samick Sage 25#
    DRT Broadheads by Dirt Nap Gear

medical feild! ppl are always guna be messin themselves up
    Pine Hollow Longbows - Medicine Man, BADASS!

I changed careers from 6 years of autobody to being a fulltime EMT at the biggest commercial service in CT. Getting all my fire certification and soon to get a fulltime firefighting job. I love the work and interaction with all the public safety. Not to mention doing this job you work for the community, not working to make some ceo rich!
    U-Slide Pro Staff

Matthews z7 extreme, TR React, code red, JBK strings, truball release, bloodline 400's

State Trooper in Pa used to be a pretty decent job but they keep taking and taking. At least you would have job security..

ttt
    Check out the Price Brother Outdoors Youtube channel...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/PriceBro.../videos?view=0

Beard Bustin Custom Calls Pro-Staffer
    www.beardbustincc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Hunter View Post
    Definitely not law enforcement the job prospects sucks. I been trying since I got out of college in June

Same here, nobody is hiring police officers here in PA, most are being shut down and laid off.

one more thing, seasonal labor for farms are offering 12-15 bucks an hour and no one is filling them, just learned this the other day, a new program the govt enacted requires farmers to look to the US for jobs before bringing in foreign labor, and if they have to bring in foreign labor they must pay $10.56. with unemployment at an all time high but all these jobs out there offering 15 bucks an hour this only goes to prove one thing; america is lazy

PSE Omen 29" 66#,viper sight, NAP apache rest, gold tip pro hunters, grim reapers
    PSE Militia member
    certified professional redneck

16 year veteran teacher and still each day it is a new adventure. Lots of educational cuts in our state. Not the best salary and having to pay a lot more for benefits. Often times I think about getting out and doing something else. My wife is in MRI and she makes a good salary! She hates the hours and the on call time but it is a good salary. My sister is a traveling X-Ray tech and she makes GOOD money.
    Elite 35 Black 60 lbs. Orange OK Archery Absolute 38 60.lbs
    HHA Site/Tru ball Axcel 5 pin
    Black Eagle Arrows Shooting Staff
    Dead Center Archery Shooting Staff
    Tru Ball Shooting StaffOfficial Scorer for the NBBC

Take it form someone who is trying to get into LE it sucks. I have been trying out for different Jobs for a year now and I have been waiting on the VSP for 12 weeks and counting just to hear if they are interested in me after I tested for them. So I gonna say stay away if you want a job and you dont know someone

Police don't pay much if any better than education. I was in it for 15 years. I make a lot more installing commercial fire alarms.
    Bowtech Tribute 68 lbs, Mission Maniac 70 lbs, Beman ICS w/ Starrflight FOBS

I know most of you are from the midwest and east coast and don't like commifornia, but there are law enforcement jobs in California. You have to look at larger agencies like California Highway Patrol, LAPD and LA Sheriff, but they are there. I am in law enforcement and things are changing (I now pay for half of my retirement down from 100% county paid), but contrary to popular belief; the California Public Employee Retirement System is fully funded. New hires in my department have a different retirement than current employees, but it is still a good retirement. My department is large, but is only hiring officers with experience, but the above listed agencies are hiring new recruits. If you want to work where you live, alot of states like California law enforcement training and will plug you in with a 2 week class. Basically, work 5 years here and, if you choose, go back to your home state. Pay here is still pretty good though, so you might stay till you retire. Cost of housing has decreased so pay goes farther. You can be at the beach in the morning, drive an hour, and be in the snow in the mountains for lunch. Good luck.

As for RN, my sister is an RN here and they are going away from the RN with an AA and are starting to lean towards RN with a BS. I strongly advise you to get the BSN as 3 years gets you an RN with an AA and 4 gets you a BSN and the option to be a supervisor.

career choices right now are:
    -Coast Guard
    -radiology/sonography
    -welding
    Check out the Price Brother Outdoors Youtube channel...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/PriceBro.../videos?view=0

Beard Bustin Custom Calls Pro-Staffer
    www.beardbustincc.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast