a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do? Farmer dozed timber without permission

Greenwood South Carolina But love Bowhunting the Midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkkky View Post
    Just kicked surveyers and pipeline people off my land this week, tresspassed to stake it! Told them after that they could meet us, they were a hour early and had to wait on my other meetings, told them we just planted 3000 tree's and plums, to go back out on the road and I would let them in at the next gate, got down to the gate and the pipeline people drove behind my 4wheeler through the trees, ran over a couple, if they can't show respect for ten minutes, how would they treat my tree's and native grass plantings putting in a pipeline.

Ran them off, not enough money too put up with their crap, and thats just what I would do to that farmer!

While I understand where you are coming from and what you are saying, don't think that by you kicking them off your land will stop them from doing what they want to do.

I have been in public utilities for 20 years and have seen imminent domain used several times. In the cases I have seen, the company tried to deal with the people in an up front and honest manner but the land owners would not budge.

Guess all I am trying to say is to be careful with them.

That being said I would be hot with them also!

Wow! I'd find a new renter and say goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by zmax hunter View Post
    edit for you, 3000' is over half a mile. And to Thrifty, have you tried to purchase a 4 to 6" hedge post? even a cord of soft firewoods has decent value. I have seen countless miles of hedgerows and large windbreaks shoved out so farmers can plant that extra acre or 2 without the trees to contend with,..lots of wildlife loses its home.
    gsp11, you could have him plant that buffer strip, after he cleans the area up. then plant 2 rows of cedars, allowing you to maintain an access road down the middle. You might want to call the US forest service rep and see what he thinks can be done with the area.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY DAD View Post
    While I understand where you are coming from and what you are saying, don't think that by you kicking them off your land will stop them from doing what they want to do.

I have been in public utilities for 20 years and have seen imminent domain used several times. In the cases I have seen, the company tried to deal with the people in an up front and honest manner but the land owners would not budge.

Guess all I am trying to say is to be careful with them.

That being said I would be hot with them also!
    Lawyer said they cannot use imminent domain with this commercial pipeline!
    2 StrykeZone 350's
    Browning Illusion
    T.R.U.Ball Short-N-Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by catscratch View Post
    Sounds like the goose just laid a golden egg; guy ruins your hunting ground and is buying up land all over the place. Get all your estimates and cash amounts figured out and go talk to him. Explain that those trees were very valuable to you because you like to hunt so much. See if you can have access to a few thousand acres to make up for it. You may gain some of the best hunting land ever and have a tenant who now understands how to treat your place (nothing like breaking in someone new). Replant all your stuff with a new strategy in mind and make it work for you. Do this with the reminder that no matter what direction you go, those trees aren’t going to be back like they were for decades. If he doesn’t want to make good with hunting rites then show him the figures that he owes you and be done with it.

Remember, money dictates what most people do and he probably thought he was doing you a favor. Most ranchers/farmers think I’m crazy for saying they should leave the tree clipper in the shop and let some brush grow up in the pastures (you can’t see the cattle if there is brush and thickets out there). Explain what is important to you and you might be surprised, or he might just be a ******* who needs to farm someone else’s land. Either way I would find out for sure which he is before I made any decisions.
    I've commented on this thread already but something isn't clicking for me. I'm by no means a heavy equipment expert but it appears to me the damage done wasn't done with a 1 Series John Deere with a front loader. It looks to me like he went at it with a dozer which would presumably consume a fair amount of diesel fuel to push back 2/3 of a mile of tree line. Not to mention the time, effort and fuel to transport the dozer to the site. The question in my mind is why would a guy spend that kind of time and money on someone elses property without permission? It just doesn't make sense. At one end of the explanation spectrum is he thought he was doing the OP a favor and at the other end he's a self centered horse's fanny that thinks he can do whatever he wants wherever he wants. Even a guy that leans more towards the latter would have to know that if his dozing made the landowner mad all his work would be for naught. So I'm thinking he is more the former and thought, in some strange way, he was helping the OP and his effort would be appreciated (the OP hasn't stated it but I presume the lessor didn't bill him for the dozer time or fuel). If that is the case then it seems that Catscratch has nailed it. This could be a huge blessing in disguise. More than one long lasting friendship/partnership has started out with what appears to be a conflict. In the end you could get the opportunity to clean up and reconfigure your hunting area (maybe for the better long term) and maybe pick up a bunch more hunting property. Before I would fire off a salvo from a lawyer and put the guy on the defensive I would attempt to work it out with the guy. Yes, the trees have value but they don't appear to be 100 year old white oaks...it looks more like fence row scrub. If that is the case, replanting with other trees and plants that are more attractive to the deer could actually improve the hunting location. I would simply encourage you to see if there isn't a silk purse hiding in this sow's ear.

If the effort to work out an amicable solution fails then seek legal counsel.
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

Lawyer said they cannot use imminent domain with this commercial pipeline!
    Interesting Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY DAD View Post
    Interesting Please explain.
    Doesn't meet the public need, also I think there's a recent ruling from the Supreme court, anyway I got a call into the best guy in the state should know more today.
    2 StrykeZone 350's
    Browning Illusion
    T.R.U.Ball Short-N-Sweet

Doesn't meet the public need, also I think there's a recent ruling from the Supreme court, anyway I got a call into the best guy in the state should know more today.
    Keep me posted please

Quote Originally Posted by Jester1023 View Post
    He needs to pay restitution for the timber he fell. Then, you need to find a new tennant for farming. If he isn't willing to comply, bring a lawsuit.
    this

It amazes me, the genius responses you get from people that know nothing. LOL
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

All I can say is wow. The farmer realy messed up. That's for sure. The land owner got the hose. Those trees and hedge rows won't be the same for years. Nothing you can do about that. I would call a lawyer and consult if it's a reasonable fix and if Mr. Farmer ownes an apporpriate piece property of the same size we would be going to the courthouse and doing a land trade. Then I would find a new person to lease the agriculural rights of my new farm.

There seems to be several options floating around here but the truth remains there is something brown and soggy floating in the punch bowl.
    There are a lot of things in life I would have enjoyed... if only I would have known I would live through them.
    I shot my bow so much I lost my hearing
    "I hate chiggers."

Quote Originally Posted by sinko View Post
    All I can say is wow. The farmer realy messed up. That's for sure. The land owner got the hose. Those trees and hedge rows won't be the same for years. Nothing you can do about that. I would call a lawyer and consult if it's a reasonable fix and if Mr. Farmer ownes an apporpriate piece property of the same size we would be going to the courthouse and doing a land trade. Then I would find a new person to lease the agriculural rights of my new farm.

There seems to be several options floating around here but the truth remains there is something brown and soggy floating in the punch bowl.
    I agree. I just can't see how any farmer in his right mind would think it was ok to level all those trees and take out an access road. Like I said in an earlier post it defies any type of reasonable logic.

Thanks for all the insight, everyone. I have received some generous assistance from some of you and it is appreciated. Im holding tight right now, the farmer may still do the right thing after i get bids. If not then ill worry about legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester1023 View Post
    He needs to pay restitution for the timber he fell. Then, you need to find a new tennant for farming. If he isn't willing to comply, bring a lawsuit.

+1. It may have been an honest mistake but it is a costly one.

If the farmer knew you were a hunter (he had to see your tree stands) and went ahead and this then he knew what he was doing and knew you would say no. So he took his chances that you would get over it. FIRE HIM. Find a new renter. Anyone who would bulldoze without your permission cannot be trusted! Just get rid of him and do it now, you may need a lawyer for that.
    Yes, trees will grow back, but not in your lifetime. I don't know if he ruined your property, but he likely made it not as enjoyable to hunt. Get a lawyer, get some restitution.
    Be REEZENable

Have you considered putting him in that tree stand and then giving him your business card?

The only upside, if there is one, is that you may now have more acreage on which to collect rent. If you have to let him farm this year you should charge him accordingly.
    Be REEZENable

Looked at your pics again. I have hunted fields like this with bulldozed edges and it is a pain in the rear. I would want all the dozed trees and stumps removed or it will look like hell for years to come.
    Be REEZENable

The OP had already said somewhere in this thread he told the farmer the lease is terminated. I wouldn't let that guy plant a tomato garden for me after the carnage he inflicted.

i know exactly what was going through his mind!

$7 corn!!!! it can make a person go nuts

Quote Originally Posted by davejohnson2 View Post
    i know exactly what was going through his mind!

$7 corn!!!! it can make a person go nuts
    What would be going through my mind is....I paid for X acres of plantable corn and I am going to get what I paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny52 View Post
    What would be going through my mind is....I paid for X acres of plantable corn and I am going to get what I paid for.
    well duh thats what would go through any sane persons mind and this guy isnt lol

There is no putting this turd back where it came from. I feel for ya, bud. Sounds like you are handing it well, though. Even if it was just poor decision making, you don't want someone leasing from you who makes dumb decisions like that.

Isn't it funny how lots of people who don't own land think it's all roses?

You can have a licensed arborist value it or the local forestry service might be able to. He way over stepped the boundries. Bottom line is the land belongs to you and when it comes to downing, dozzing, removing of trees and roads on leased land. That decision lies with the land owner not leaser. I would make him pay all of it and find a farmer that is not an idiot.
    2013 Insanity Black Opps 60lb draw
    PSE Xweave Pro 200s with 100gr T3s

Well ,one thing is apparent here , no one is into farming. As a farmer looking at your pics. ,I see a lot of junk rimage . In my opinion , all he was trying to do was salvage some of the field. if you don't believe me , get the guts to ask him. I'm assuming he was losing he was dropping some rimage and was just trying to recoup it. Won't hurt the owner in the slightest, but, might help put things in the black for him. PS, for the non farmers here. Rimage ,is that piece of a field that suffers non production,extreme edge.It 's also caused because of no sun light and animals eating everything. If you let this continue, in a few years you'll loose a lot of your field. In my opinion. you are lucky to have some one who cares about your precious field besides you.You were looking at it as "your hunting place", he was looking at it as a loose to him . Your probably an alright guy , just from the wrong walk of life. I would talk before I showed him my misunderstanding.I think in the long run you will be happier.Sorry to have so much wind, but I really think you are wrong.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast