a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Hoyt string stretch

Hoyt string stretch

I finally had decent weather to sight in my new Vector Turbo and everything was going well untill I started shooting high and to the left. I kept looking everything over and nothing had moved and all was tight. Then I went into the house and drew it back and noticed that the top cam stop wasn't even touching the cable, almost a 1/4" away!! We had it set a little hot so the top would hit right before the bottom stop did. I know strings stretch but I had less than a 100 shots through this bow. That's the most stretch that I've ever seen in such a short amount of time. Has anyone else had this problem with the factory string on their Hoyt? I'm placing my order this morning for an aftermarket string/cables!

Attached Images Attached Images
    HOYT (KATERA, VECTOR TURBO) ~ VAPOR TRAIL (PRO V, LIMBDRIVER) ~ SPOT-HOGG (HOGG-IT) ~ GOLD TIP (HUNTER XT)
    TILT TAMER ~ www.tilttamer.com
    VENDETTA (ENFORCER) ~ www.vendettaarchery.net
    VAPOR TRAIL PROSTAFF ~ www.vaportrailarchery.com

usualy i tell people to shoot a 100 shots then bring it to me to tune... in the past most the stretching is done within the first 50 shots so i say 100 just to be safe

Take this for what it worth------TAKE A VERY SERIOUS LOOK AT THE CONDITION OF YOUR STRING. One of the guys I work with was having a tune problem on his new Turbo-------well he finally found out last week what it was------the string broke under the center serving when he shot it trying to figure out what was going on. NOW not to say this is your problem as I have very rarely seen any problems with the Hoyt string and cables in the last couple of years. Myself I have thousands of shots on mine since I set it up and it hasn't moved one bit. But yours at that much you have a very serious problem, do not shoot it or attempt to fix it until you have it figured out----your problem is NOT stretch.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Mine was stil stretching well past 100 shots...seemed like everytime i shot it..somerhing would seem off...take it to the draw board and sure enough draw stops not hitting..it seemed like a never ending battle.
    Elite

And you wonder why a lot of us just buy quality aftermarket strings and change them first thing. They are mass produced some are good a lot are not. Why take the chance and deal with the headache of them stretching
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

1/4" stretch sounds like a lot. The Fuse strings that are on there are pretty decent. Hopefully it is not what Dale suggested, but it certainly may be. Definitely check over the string carefull.

Another considerarion that I would add is that you should ensure the peg on your bottom cam agrees to the draw length mod that you have on the top cam. For example, if you are a 30" draw, you make sure the peg in your bottom cam is in the correct corresponding position. The holes in the bottom cam represent a decrease of 1/2" per letter change. A detail example is (still assuming you are a 30" draw), you will see a number on the red mod on your top cam. If you are a 30" draw it will say RK3E-TR with a #3 RKT cam. In this case, the peg in the bottom cam will need to be in the "E" slot. Hoyt gives a detail discussion of how this works in the video titled "Modular Change" at this link http://www.hoyt.com/videos/. If your peg is in the wrong slot just back it out with an allen wrench and put it in the right position.

I am a 28" draw. My Vector 32 has #3 RKT RK3A-TR mod on the top cam. The peg in my bottom cam is in the "A" position. The idiot that set up my bow initially had the peg in the "E" slot and this cam position disagreement caused a miserably squichy back wall and cam sync was off.

Seriously with as few shots as he has and to be that far off, this it has nothing to do with stretch. There is something far more serious going on here------IF in fact it was tuned correctly to begin with.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Even though the Fuse strings that come on the hoyts are good in general, you can get a weak or bad string. Even normal stretch from new strings you will not get this much. I would replace them with a good set of strings! I did and now my vector shots great after a thousand shots and increased my speed by 5fps. No Peep twist either!

I've put about 600-700 shots on my Turbo so far, and just had it retuned a little this weekend. We paper tuned, and had to add a couple of twists to one of the yokes. Also had to make a little bit of a peep adjustment, so My string had definitely stretched a little. But, I agree that if yours is as far off as you say, you've got a bigger problem. Mine shots just fine, but I've got new Vaportrails coming anyway.
    2014 Strother SX Rush, 67lb/29.5", Vaportrail LimbDriver Pro-V, HHA DSL-5019, Trophy Ridge Static 9" stab
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS Pro Staff
    VAPORTRAIL ARCHERY Pro Staff
    Owner, OkieWild Archery & Custom Arrows, Sulphur, Oklahoma

We had the bow on a draw board last weekend to make sure everything was in time. Then I had shot it a few times in the gargage testing out my new release and then I took it out yesterday to sight it in. It shot awesome then it was like someone flipped a switch and it wasn't even in the same zip code!! I usually replace the string/cable right away but I heard this years were decent, I guess they were wrong. My new set is ordered already!
    HOYT (KATERA, VECTOR TURBO) ~ VAPOR TRAIL (PRO V, LIMBDRIVER) ~ SPOT-HOGG (HOGG-IT) ~ GOLD TIP (HUNTER XT)

I'm so done with the stock strings. They look like crap already and I'm having the same problems as you. Mostly with the buss cable. The bow feels great and shoots well and then it starts to act up. I'm just going to get a set of Vapor Trails or something.

IF there could be one complaint with today's top end bows, it is they are selling us Ferrari's with the cheapest tires that can be found to put on them!

I now have a red/black Vapor Trail on the way. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueUltra2 View Post
    I now have a red/black Vapor Trail on the way. Problem solved!
    Good deal, keep us posted.

1/4 in. from stop is more than a little. blue print your string and cables. sounds to me like the buss was made badly.

I am having a similar problem but not as much stretch on my Vector 32, I was out shooting in the nice weather we had here Friday & was doing well then out of no where every arrow I shot was low hmm!!!!!!!!!!!! checked all my timinig marks & sure enough my strings stretched again I have it written down I know have 562 shots on my bow @ this time. Fuse strings & cables same old strings no better then previous years. Thank goodness I have my custom strings on order should be here some time this week or early next.

somone else is having trouble with stock mathews strings here on AT.conclusion was that mathews was junk and he should get a better bow. now hoyt is having string trouble. before long we'll be throwing spears.

Quote Originally Posted by pikecntyhunter View Post
    somone else is having trouble with stock mathews strings here on AT.conclusion was that mathews was junk and he should get a better bow. now hoyt is having string trouble. before long we'll be throwing spears.
    LOL ....... It's all in good fun I would hope. There is smack talk in every sport, it's part of the fun. As long as it's not nasty, but I hear what you are saying. No need for it most of the time.