a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Antler knife

Antler knife

A customer requested a knife that would honor his mother who was pure Comanche. Comanches of old only had what they could get from a buffalo or some other critter. I didn't have a buffalo handy so I decided to make the knife using antler from a deer I shot in Comanche county Oklahoma. Seemed like a good idea. I don't use antler very often and this knife reminded why I choose other materials. Antler wants to have some input on how the knife is designed. If you don't allow the antler to have some input on the design, it will fight you tooth and nail. Unlike flat pieces of very compliant wood, antler is bullheaded. I have never liked allowing others to dictate how one of my knives is made so Mr. Antler and I had a few problems on this project.

The knife has a 5/32" O1 tool steel blade and measures 9 1/2" OAL. I used brass and .030" G10 for the cap and guard.

Squawsach

It looks great

looks great tho
    PSE EXRCIST
    grave digger trocar tip broadhead,
    .300 grain Vap traveling at warp speed
    Proud member of team overkill

Definitely a beautiful knife, but I think that designing a knife can be done in two ways, and each has its rewards. The one you prefer is to design it and fit the materials to the knife, but sometimes, working from the material to get to the knife can be very rewarding too, and offer a different challenge.
    I hold these to be the two greatest human values ever: Firstly, unconditional and universal love of all beings, and then, the sense of humour, with love giving meaning to our lives, and the sense of humour giving us solace from love. Doris Lussier
    "Humanity has evolved - as far as it has evolved," continued the old priest " with no thanks to its predecessors or itself. Evolution brings human beings. Human beings, through a long and painful process, bring humanity." Endymion

well it looks like you won the battle, it looks great.

There were a couple times when I had to give Mr. Antler the ice water stare while brandishing the 2lb shop hammer of destiny. He finally came around to my why of thinking.
    Squawsach

looks great! how long did it take?

Simply beautiful!!!! I am sure your customer will be thrilled, I know I would be,
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

Great lookin' knife! Looks like you and the deer came to a good compromise! I work in buckskin and it too will talk to you. If you listen, you will both agree in the end. Looks like you both listened to each other.

Great looking knife as usual!!!

very nice .. not your normal approach - but turned out great
    >>>---------->
    oldschoolcj5

[QUOTEThere were a couple times when I had to give Mr. Antler the ice water stare while brandishing the 2lb shop hammer of destiny. He finally came around to my why of thinking. ][/QUOTE]

Wow - It's remarkable how similar you and I convince various inanimate objects that we are indeed in charge. I once put a piece of macassar ebony on my anvil and took it to pieces with my 3 lb straight peen and started the scale over. The next piece cooperated remarkably well.

wish that was mine!

I think it looks great as always .
    Wild Turkey Ridge & Twin Oaks ( Both gone but not forgotten )
    TRU Ball Staff
    All black Chill X : )
    All black Chill X

Quote Originally Posted by Squawsach View Post
    There were a couple times when I had to give Mr. Antler the ice water stare while brandishing the 2lb shop hammer of destiny. He finally came around to my why of thinking.
    I have had that same stare with some of my stone pieces
    great job!
    NATIVE FLAKES FLINTKNAPPING

Beautiful!

Great looking knife, as usual. I haven't tried working with any antler yet, but I do have several nice pieces waiting for me to work up the courage.

Another work of art
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

what can i say that i havn't said before,etc. etc. etc.

Very nice. It has a very classy look instead of the typical rustic, primitive antler knives. Very well done!!

Was the G-10 easier to work with? It looks good that's for sure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Great looking knife man

G10 is no easier or harder to work with but it does eliminate problems that can arrise later with vulcanized fiber spacers. It's a far more stabile material.

Squawsach