a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you practice?

I have been shooting almost daily for the last couple of months, but I think it is taking its toll on me. My shoulder starts hurting. I think I have to lay off a little, like maybe every other day. I think it is also good for the mind to take some breaks.

My shooting every day consist of me using 1 arrow. So I shoot pull, shoot pull. I used to use multiple arrows but feel with the 1 I have to concentrate on my form and the shot. Just as if I was shooting game or targets. Hey and its good exercise.
    Tribe Archery Sales and Service

In building up for the Indoor Nat's I am shooting 5-6 days a week. I shoot 2 leagues (Mon and Wed nights) and practice on Tue-Thursday-Friday and then either Sat or Sunday. I try to start with 10-15 Min's blank bale, then I shoot a complete round of NFAA Blueface, I am also using a timer. That is so I duplicate the 4 minute round, the wait for the next line to shoot and scoring time, before I shoot my next end. So I shoot my end, wait 8 minutes and shoot again. Practice like you shoot in a tourney.
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

Ah, rsarns, forgot League, yes, that's an important part of my practice routine, though only get one night per week and animal paper targets and 3D only, but then, that goes to 3D practice for me.

We will start our outdoor league in April here, shoot the animal round targets and 3D targets. Normally 10 animal targets and 5 3D. Good practice for both field and 3D. Just wish we had a full field range close by to shoot more of the longer range shots, our practice range accomodates that out to 80 yards.
    I am not Trad, I just like shooting recurves and longbows.

I've been shooting 20-50 arrows about six days a week......and feel like I need more rest breaks, but it's hard to put the down.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    Gents -

Just curious. The guys who "shoot a dozen arrows or so every day", how do you beachmark yourselves? I mean how can you tell if you're getting any better, worse or staying the same?

Viper1 out.
    Good point Viper1. You have any suggestions to benchmark your progress? I'm really wanting to get better.......and I have. It's hard learning without a coach.

Kegan, I like your new routine. Think I'll try something similar. Thanks for the info.

Drew

About twice a week, always outside.

I try to shoot every day...which means at least 4 days a wk. Being old and taking lots of meds. I have to shoot a lot to keep my strength up.

drew -

The NFAA 300 round (blue 40 cm target) is pretty much the standard. If 60 arrows gets to be too much, a lot of guys do an NFAA 150, basically 1/2 the arrows. It's usually shot id 12 ends of five arrows each for the full match, or either six ends of 5 arrows or 10 ends of 3 arrows for the 150. As long as you stay consistent with what you're doing, the benchmark is valid. If you want to compare yourself with others, then you have do the full match.

It really give you something to work for and does make you a better shooter.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    drew -

The NFAA 300 round (blue 40 cm target) is pretty much the standard. If 60 arrows gets to be too much, a lot of guys do an NFAA 150, basically 1/2 the arrows. It's usually shot id 12 ends of five arrows each for the full match, or either six ends of 5 arrows or 10 ends of 3 arrows for the 150. As long as you stay consistent with what you're doing, the benchmark is valid. If you want to compare yourself with others, then you have do the full match.

It really give you something to work for and does make you a better shooter.

Viper1 out.
    I agree....I love to keep a record of my shoots and scores to see if I'm making any progress......
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

I shoot at least a hour per day every day except Sunday's (usually).

1-5x a week 2 dozen recurve, 2 dozen compound, i only get a day off every other week or so, so its tough to shoot as much as id like to

I'm glad I could help, it's been a big aid to my shooting, and easy to keep up with.

since I work 12 hour shifts, 7am-7pm, and 7pm-7am on rotating schedules..I try to fit in shooting on my days off...usually 2-3 times a week...it is tough, especially when trying to also fit weightlifting sessions, family time, and time to scout.....just don't have time every day to shoot..so I get to it when I get free time....

I shoot every few days . often and most likely some bale practice ... shooting for form and grooving my shot . Maybe once a week I'll hit the range or perhaps get out and just stump shoot and rove .
    Maybe once a month I'll shoot an Indoor round ... as I start my winter season I'll hit the field range once a week and shoot a couple of short rounds building up to a full 112 arrow IFAA round .... this I still interupt with bale practice .

Viper ... I guage my improvement by whether I am becoming more consistently accurate at whatever my targer is ... stumps , 10 ring ... and I take it very seriously.

we have had a great winter here in Maine and i have managed to shoot alot this winter but for the last couple of weeks i have got all my targets out and have been shooting everyday, this week it is supposed to be in the mid 60's low 70's sweet weather but it will cost us
    Paramadness Bow Slings, Survival Bracelets, Binocular Straps, Key FOB's, Release Laynards, Custom Braiding Available,
    B-50 Flemished Strings, 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
    "Bear TD A-Riser, Kodiak Hunter 45#, Super Magnum 50#, Kodiak Magnum 45#, Kodiak Super 47#, "

I try to make practice as fun as possible and challange myself. Shooting at a target and keeping score keeps me eager to get out each day and do it again. Often, I release and say to myself, "where in blue blazes did that come from" when an arrow flies a foot or so high or too low.....its all in the game and part of the improvement cycle!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

try shooting at longer ranges after a while ur short shots will be like nothing.

I like to shoot about 150 + or - arrows a day. Start with blank bale for 5-10 minutes. Been able to shoot out to 25 yards in my yard most of the winter, rain or snow a couple times a week and up to 15 yards in my basement anytime I want. If my shoulder gives me any flack I take a day off and so far that works great. Only HAD to not shoot maybe 15 days between sore shoulder or just too busy in the last 14 months. Thanks to you guys and all the great advice I have been given here (Tony especially!) I started light, #26, 14 months ago and now I can shoot my #45 longbow for hours with little if any pain or discomfort.

My practice schedule......
    Sept 1 until i get a deer- everyday
    after i get a deer- rest until march
    March- everyday until i get a turkey
    May- its time to fish!

Maybe a few times a week farting around in the back yard.
    Friday nights and Sundays at my club, I hit it hard.

** HAIL~GO BLUE~Hail **

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12