Thread: Black Bears

Black Bears

Hi Guys

Would just like to find out in which state are you must likely find the biggest bears?

Regards

Eddie

Pennsylvania.

Bowhunting them is very difficult though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

What are the bear like in California?

I have heard maine has some dandys

PA now has a lot of bears (for some reason)...I can only imagine they are only going to get bigger. at least i feed them enough bird seed and suet.

Are you coming across the pond to hunt?
    Limbsaver DZ-32, HHA Slider Sight bracket modified to accept Triple Threat Aperture, Limbsaver Drop Away Rest
    Limbsaver SZ-34, Limbsaver Prism Sight with adjustable Long Range Hunter pin, Limbsaver Drop Away Rest
    Limbsaver DZ-30, HHA.019 pin slider sight, AAE Pro Drop Rest

In cali we have some big black bears my dad got a Dandy probably about 6 years ago now it was taller then me and i am 6'4 the pads alone were just big enough to cover my entire hand it was the biggest bear i have seen with my own two eyes taken in northern cali. its all about right place right time when hunting public lands esp. in cali since are public lands are far from one another. Good luck on your black bear journey :-P

North Carolina is well known for big bears and lots of them.

Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Lot of big bear here in Wisconsin.

CREED
    DESTROYER 340

Minnesota has some pretty big bears, and it is easy to draw a tag in the quota area (where the best bear hunting is) , plus you can use bait

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Calif. is loaded with bears in the northern part of the state with "taken" bears averaging 200-350lbs. Bigger bears between 400-600lbs have been seen and photographed but they are rarely taken by hunters...too darn smart. There's a 600 pounder rampaging in Lake Tahoe that everyone is gunning for but can't get. Use of dogs is helpful so you can be selective and successful, otherwise plan to spend weeks patterning bears. It's doable but requires a lot of time. No baiting here. I got a decent one in '10.

Bruce's Bear 2010 lowrez.jpg P1020135.jpg IMGP3227.jpg
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

I go back to WV to hunt with family, but you cant beat the price of an out-of-state tag!
    I luv hunting like fat kids luv cake!

06 Parker Buck Hunter --> 08 Bear DoneDeal --> 2010 Elite GT-500

My old mans bear from Northern California about 15 years ago. 21 and 1/8th" skull, 697lbs. I'm sure there will be some nah sayers, but it is what it is. Enjoy. BTW, I took a picture of a picture from the album. Sorry its not so great. Can't make it bigger.

I think you are looking at the wrong spot. Although I think there are good places to hunt bear in the states... you should look to Canada. The 3 provinces you should look to is Sask, Ab and MB..... in no particular order. Tags are over the counter.... no draw. You may find that you have to use an outfitter but imho that is in your best interest.

All three provinces have a good bear population and could produce some big ones. Shooting % run 100% on legal bears, not that it means much but if you hunt there you will be on bears the whole time. Like shooting warthog on a wterhole...... can't guarantee the biggest but we can guarantee that you will have them..... probably more bear than warthog. I get 5-10 different bear a day on my sites.

For a chance at a pig that will make a mistake..... book the latest you can in june IMHO
    2008 Ross Cardiac 70Lbs, QAD pro HD, Sims modular stab, Copper john dead nutz 2 sight, Scott Sabertooth release, G5 Meta peep, beman arrows with ONESTRINGER arrow wraps topped with Slick Tricks or GT2's and RIDGERUNNER sling

Are you coming across the pond to hunt?
    Yes I am, I am going to be in Las Vegas for a week before hand!

I think you are looking at the wrong spot. Although I think there are good places to hunt bear in the states... you should look to Canada.
    I saw Canada has some awesome places to hunt bear but then I have to get a other visa and I dont have time to organize it

I got a quote form a outfitter in CA Lockwood. He is charging me $2250 with out tags for two day hunt but he guarantees an opportunity on a bear but not size and colour or I hunt for free

Vancouver or Alaska, primarily the south east. Good luck!

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    The bears in Canada and AK are bigger but the cost is exponentially more expensive. CA tags are cheap.
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Well I have two other outfitters quotes and it looks like I will be in for about $3000. That is for everything return flights from Las Vegas, pick and drop off at airport, 5 days guided bear hunt,2x bear tags, 1x wolf tag, licences, drop of cape at taxidermist, the lot.
    Is that a good price??

The two outfitter are Ridgerunner Outfitter which hunt out of The Clearwater National Forest (Unit 10 - Lolo Zone) and the other is Weitas Creek Outfitters which hunt out of Weitas Guard Station camp. I am more draw to Ridgerunner cos they offer 2x bear tags and a wolf tag!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandilands View Post
    I think you are looking at the wrong spot. Although I think there are good places to hunt bear in the states... you should look to Canada. The 3 provinces you should look to is Sask, Ab and MB..... in no particular order. Tags are over the counter.... no draw. You may find that you have to use an outfitter but imho that is in your best interest.

All three provinces have a good bear population and could produce some big ones. Shooting % run 100% on legal bears, not that it means much but if you hunt there you will be on bears the whole time. Like shooting warthog on a wterhole...... can't guarantee the biggest but we can guarantee that you will have them..... probably more bear than warthog. I get 5-10 different bear a day on my sites.

For a chance at a pig that will make a mistake..... book the latest you can in june IMHO
    I don't doubt there are big bears in those 3 provinces and I did see some nice blacks when living in Alberta. But you would be crazy think they are better than BC. With 1/4 of Canadas black bear population, limited pressure, Abundance of feed, and multiple sub species of black bear your odds are stacked in the hunters favour here. You need to come out here and hunt the QCI's, North western BC, Vancouver Island, or the remote boat access only southern inlets to see what I mean.

I know the areas you mentioned are good but in my opinion there are many places in BC where the potential for the new world record are very real. The BC archery record was beat within the last few years and it was not far from becoming the archery world record and it was taken from and area that I would say is poor compared to the places I listed

Quote Originally Posted by JD BC View Post
    I don't doubt there are big bears in those 3 provinces and I did see some nice blacks when living in Alberta. But you would be crazy think they are better than BC. With 1/4 of Canadas black bear population, limited pressure, Abundance of feed, and multiple sub species of black bear your odds are stacked in the hunters favour here. You need to come out here and hunt the QCI's, North western BC, Vancouver Island, or the remote boat access only southern inlets to see what I mean.

I know the areas you mentioned are good but in my opinion there are many places in BC where the potential for the new world record are very real. The BC archery record was beat within the last few years and it was not far from becoming the archery world record and it was taken from and area that I would say is poor compared to the places I listed
    I Seen some monster Blackies when i was in Northern B.c,And they were everywhere,I Also seen 2 Dandy Grizzly Bears ans probably another 6-7 Average Grizz.Bears in B.c are like deer and Turkeys here,There everywhere,It was amazing,Funny thing,Never ran into 1 Hiking in the Rockies when i was there,Lots of Fresh Scat,Lol.We had 1 Little Blackie come into the Liard Hot springs one day,Owner said oh ya he is always around,You think they would have learned.
    "I met him fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason,no,uh,conscience,no understanding and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death,of good or evil,right or wrong. I met this six year old child with this blank,pale,emotionless face,and the blackest eyes,the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil"...

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan1980 View Post
    I Seen some monster Blackies when i was in Northern B.c,And they were everywhere,I Also seen 2 Dandy Grizzly Bears ans probably another 6-7 Average Grizz.Bears in B.c are like deer and Turkeys here,There everywhere,It was amazing,Funny thing,Never ran into 1 Hiking in the Rockies when i was there,Lots of Fresh Scat,Lol.We had 1 Little Blackie come into the Liard Hot springs one day,Owner said oh ya he is always around,You think they would have learned.
    Most people don't understand how many black bears are in BC till they spend some time here in the spring. To try and explain to people that you can see over 20+ bears in a day if you choose the right areas at the right time they think you are pulling their leg. The funny thing is the amount of hunters that won't book hunts here because of the no baiting laws. When most of the BC bear guides run 100% success rate I don't see why

The size of grizz you mentioned are only average big mountain grizz can break 8 foot and coastal grizz get even bigger. There is lots of grizz here but most of the time you don't see them unless you go looking for them

I will be out this spring in my areas and odds are I will see lots of big bears and not a single bear hunter unless I bring a partner

Quote Originally Posted by JD BC View Post
    Most people don't understand how many black bears are in BC till they spend some time here in the spring. To try and explain to people that you can see over 20+ bears in a day if you choose the right areas at the right time they think you are pulling their leg. The funny thing is the amount of hunters that won't book hunts here because of the no baiting laws. When most of the BC bear guides run 100% success rate I don't see why

The size of grizz you mentioned are only average big mountain grizz can break 8 foot and coastal grizz get even bigger. There is lots of grizz here but most of the time you don't see them unless you go looking for them

I will be out this spring in my areas and odds are I will see lots of big bears and not a single bear hunter unless I bring a partner
    Ya we had one run across the road when we were headin into Fort Nelson on my day off,It was 5-600 Lbs,It was the Biggest i had seen at that time,Then we Did a Fly in trip to Netson Lake to clean and pack up a outpost and there was a Huge Grizz about 300 Yards from the Outpost,Very Awestruck at the time,It was there Eating Fresh moose kill,I seen the biggest Blackie i had ever seen,It was close to 500 or maybe more,Walked right across the Highway 50 Yards from a Little Shop-Store on my way to Where i was working,The bears were everywhere,I Knew that the Grizz are Mountain grizz and that the Coastal Grizz are alot bigger,we used to see a few here and there on Fly ins in the Beaver,I Used to Spend my day off every week on a Fly in Trout Lake or Stream in the middle of The Northern Rockies,Standing in the stream fishin for Rainbows,I Was always nervous about a grizz or a Big Blackie coming to eat me,Never once,I Did have a Huge Cow moose come into the stream i was fishing and walk within 10 Ft from e,I Used my Digital camera to Record her for what seemed to be forever,It was amazing that day,Best day i have ever been in the Bush,I think i caught over 140 Rainbows and lost at least another 60-70.B.C Is the Most Beautiful Place on Earth.I Miss it.
    "I met him fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason,no,uh,conscience,no understanding and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death,of good or evil,right or wrong. I met this six year old child with this blank,pale,emotionless face,and the blackest eyes,the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply evil"...