Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lots of trad interest

Yup...I agree...there is a lot more interest in shooting trad bows lately...

Compound bows were far and few in between when I was growing up...target bows at that time were in the 30-40 lb range...and normal hunting bows were at 50-60 lbs and up...but..times change..people change..

Trad bows have always been around...they just weren't given as much press as what they are garnering today..While to many it seems to be so much easier than compounds with how much equipment they need..in reality..that same equipment makes them a lot easier for many to be able to be accurate enough to keep the interest up..It also allows many not so fit people to shoot higher poundage bows too...which is not always the best thing for them...

People find out quick enough once they pick up a trad bow..that to have the fastest heaviest hitting rigs going..they have to be in better physical shape to shoot them well than they ever expected to have to be..and it's a real eye opener for many...

I've seen full grown men in "good" shape that can't pull back my 57 lb recurve and hit the target at full draw at 10 yards..and can't for the life of them understand why....so these big guys have to drop way down in draw weight to be able to shoot them accurately enough...They just don't realize how out of shape they are...till it comes time to shooting...

Shooting a trad bow is a commitment if one wants to do it well...regardless of what draw weight you choose and shooting heavier draw weights requires enough physical strength to do so...which means making the commitment to becoming stronger...and this requires exercise...and to many...that is a bad thing...

Mac
    Earl Hoyt Hunter Supreme 64" recurve. . 66lbs. Soon to have Centaur Hunter Supreme long bow...

I am still waiting on my recurve, for me it's the simplicity, my compounds have always been simple 1 pin set ups whisker biscuit arrow rest, and the new bows are getting to complex with all the gadgets.
    58" Toelke whip 41lbs, Easton Axis Traditional 600 spine, 205 grain Zwickey 2 blade on the death end. Retired Bowtech Guardian, could be called back to full duty.

I am waiting on my first longbow. I have a tanasi ordered and cannot wait to get it! I have killed a few deer with a compound and since I'm 21 I got plenty of time to get back into compounds if I so choose. I am already addicted and I have just shot a longbow a few times. For me its the challenge. I am always wanting to find the toughest way to kill or catch anything just for the pursuit of the challenge. I cannot wait to stick one with the stick bow. My z7 may have to find itself a new home if I like this as much as I think I will.

thats or sure keb. the 2 wheel bows I have I shoot barebow with fingers.

I agree Mac. Im in that category. Im fat and out of shape and had to start with 40# even though trad was what I used my first 16 years of my archery career. That was a long time and a lot of pounds ago tho. lol
    Samick Sage 25#
    DRT Broadheads by Dirt Nap Gear

Quote Originally Posted by BOHO View Post
    thats or sure keb. the 2 wheel bows I have I shoot barebow with fingers.

I agree Mac. Im in that category. Im fat and out of shape and had to start with 40# even though trad was what I used my first 16 years of my archery career. That was a long time and a lot of pounds ago tho. lol
    Boy, I'm with you on that.....its been many moons ago but not forgotten......I still remember the times I had with Bear bows and the good times I had with my brother shooting rabbits and stumps! Throw in a few dillers but they would run into a hole and break your wood arrows every time......
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Going trad is a bit like a 'sea change' for some compound archers.

I've seen this upswing as well. I think it's actually a very big rise in the interest in trad shooting. Seems like it was 13 years ago when the compound thing really started to swing up...that's about the time most hunting production shows started transitioning to a greater majority of bow kills vs firearm kills in their productions. I've been seeing a lot more trad bow kills on TV and on video lately and I'm wondering if we're starting to see that same trend once again. That same group of people that made compound bowhunting so popular, now looking for that new challenge, picking up a stick and string...true archery.

I think a lot of it can be attributed to what I call the crossover market of bows. These are the ILF risers, limbs, etc that offer the compound shooter a little familiarity. This is how I crossed over. Shot almost every ILF riser made...kept one, got it's twin in the DAS DX5 riser....but was just told my Omega longbow should be here Saturday....and should be expecting my St Joe River recurve in a couple of months(they've really tacked on the waiting list).
    Hi, my name is Bryan Miller and I'm a Toxophilite
    Drinkin' da kool-aide...

I sure hope so Doc. I have been searching for some trad video hunts and they are few and far between. I think a lot of Rick Welch and his shooting but I bought one of his latest hunting dvd's and IMO it lacked a lot to be desired. I know its tough getting the footage and all but half of it was just repeat stuff from his earlier tapes that I already had. Hopefully there will be some good stuff to come along in the near future.
    Samick Sage 25#

I sure hope so Doc. I have been searching for some trad video hunts and they are few and far between. I think a lot of Rick Welch and his shooting but I bought one of his latest hunting dvd's and IMO it lacked a lot to be desired. I know its tough getting the footage and all but half of it was just repeat stuff from his earlier tapes that I already had. Hopefully there will be some good stuff to come along in the near future.
    Lettin' Loose and Wild Traditions are a couple of great DVD's you should get. Most of it is self filmed, but it's good quality as far as I'm concerned. The Wild Traditions DVD is a very, very, very good DVD. Just be warned...you'll want to buy a Centaur bow and Simmons broadheads after watching it. Not to spoil too much, but there's one self film elk hunt that I'd nominate for the best hunting footage ever captured, period. I watched it over and over for a couple of hours....it's a great 10minute segment.
    Hi, my name is Bryan Miller and I'm a Toxophilite
    Drinkin' da kool-aide...

thx Doc. I'll check it out.
    Samick Sage 25#

I dunno - I have been hearing this since I got into trad over 20 years ago - and if anything I see less guys shooting trad now than back then. I could be the economy and that guys just are not traveling to shoots as much - but I certainly have not seen any increase in the number of trad shoters here in Wisconsin or in Minnesota.

I just ordered em both Doc. thx

sharp, do you go to a lot of those shoots up there?
    Samick Sage 25#

my feeling about the increase interest in "trad" archery is just a reflection of the society we live in....someone said if you live long enough you will see history repeat itself.....

while there are some who never stopped shooting stickbows....i believe it runs in cycles like everything else.....take sports....back in the 70's everyone thought it was a great idea to build huge multipurpose stadiums to accomodate football, baseball, concerts, etc....put in astroturf, and maybe even a dome...never a rainout, especially for baseball...they were extremely popular.....then, attendance started declining, and teams started building facilities for just their sport....baseball stadiums became throwbacks to earlier days, grass and dirt, less seating, cozy ballparks....football stadiums went to grass fields, no domes for the most part....throwback uniforms, etc. Heck, Pepsi now makes throwback pepsi, dew, and dr pepper...there is something about us that wants to move forward...but we still get a nostalgia twinge too....fashion is the same way...cars, etc.....

I believe this is part of the surge in trad archery....kind of a throwback stage....and there's nothing wrong with it....if it is taken for just that....

What bothers me is the attitude of some of those in the trad circles....the feeling that trad is somehow better than compounds, and compound shooters are lower class...I see this at many trad shoots....compound throwing contests, training wheel comments...all this being done by many people who cannot hit a 3D animal 15 yards away consistently....

I think it is a cycle, how long the popularity will last is unknown.....

Personally, I shoot stickbows because I like shootin them...no nostalgia, no going back to earlier times, not because I feel it is the only right true archery.....none of that trad karma, kum-by-ah stuff.....i just like shooting the bows....
    For those who like to play dress up, reenactment, enjoy......I look horrible in a fedora, hate back quivers cause I can't get arrows in and out of them easily.....

Once again..I think it is a cycle......just like everything else......and it's kind of nice......

Lee

yea - but how do you look in a loin cloth - eww - did i really ask that?

BOHO - i get to every 3D shoot I can - I go to the Rapids Archers shoot every year, I go to shoots in Park Falls, Ladysmith, Winter, Springstead, Sparta, Medford, wherever and whenever I can.

I just ordered em both Doc. thx

sharp, do you go to a lot of those shoots up there?
    Where did you order yours from? I'm gonna get them myself......
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

I just googled the titles rem. One I got from the lettin loose website and some of the proceeds go to Catch a Dream. The other I got from the Centaur(sp?) bow company.

maybe trad is gaining in popularity and maybe not. looks like we have a difference of opinion. Hopefully in the future it will still have enough people participating to keep a lot of bowyers in business if nothin else.
    Samick Sage 25#

I just googled the titles rem. One I got from the lettin loose website and some of the proceeds go to Catch a Dream. The other I got from the Centaur(sp?) bow company.

maybe trad is gaining in popularity and maybe not. looks like we have a difference of opinion. Hopefully in the future it will still have enough people participating to keep a lot of bowyers in business if nothin else.
    I tried Amazon, 3Rivers and LAS and none had them....thanks for the info....I'm off!
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Ordered mine from Centaur Archery.........
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Sharp.....not even gettin close to a loincloth!

BOHO....you stated: "maybe trad is gaining in popularity and maybe not. looks like we have a difference of opinion. Hopefully in the future it will still have enough people participating to keep a lot of bowyers in business if nothin else."

I am usually a pessimist, so.... in working in the business for three years, and attending quite a few trad shoots as both vendor and participant...I see this "growth" as doing the opposite.....if you check the ads in TBM, there are more and more bowyers advertising and making bows...while this is good for the consumer....it means less for some of the bowyers...in talking to many of them at shoots....they are not selling as many as they used to...now the economy has a great deal to do with it as well...but with so many choices, people are offered a greater variety to pick from....add in the resurgence of Bear, Martin, etc, and now Samick producing a line of trad bows, at considerably lesser prices..well, you get what I am saying....believe me, I am not knocking mass produced bows, or competition....just trying to say that more people getting into trad does not necessarily mean more business for bowyers....as it gets more popular, more businesses jump in to claim a piece of the growing pie....

Trad is still the smallest of the archery disciplines...and has the most bowyers/manufacturers of bows....In compounds, there are probably a handful of companies making bows...for a large group of buyers....same with FITA/Olympic....then you look at trad....more bowyers for a smaller group of buyers.....

Whether it is good, or bad, that is up to people to decide.....

got my video right from Centaur...one of the best I have seen in a while!

there are a lot of positive comments about both videos. hopefully they will both be as good as everyone says. Would be nice to one day have as many trad dvd's to watch as compound ones. I have always wanted to make my own hunting dvd but it would take me years to get enough footage for just one.
    Samick Sage 25#

I have had a couple local neigborhood kids ask me about archery and shooting bows latley as they know I shoot archery (both compounds and traditional bows). What has sparked there intrest is the new Movie that is coming out next week called the "Hunger Games" I have read the book and traditional style archey plays a big roll in the story.

Mark

when I was a member of the STA they set up a booth at the big Extravaganza in Jackson MS every August. Im sure they still do. Hopefully that converted a good many people. Setting up those booths for people to shoot trad bows is a great way to "hook em"

Samick Sage 25#

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12