Thread: Whats it worth?

Whats it worth?

A couple years ago I was fortunate enough to take a small piebald spike with my bow. I had him prepped as if I were doing a full body mount dropped him off at the taxidermist and then life got in the way. The taxidermist fully wet tanned it and allowed me to pay for what work had been done and pick it up. It has been double wrapped and frozen for about 2 years now. I'm considering selling the wet tanned hide with antlers as I have no idea when or if I'll be able to afford the mount. What would the value of something like this be? Some pics can be seen at http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1053849

That is a sweet deer. You should get a rug made. I am not sure how much that would cost though.
    It is one of those things though that depends on what someone would pay. Maybe contact some local taxidermists and ask what they would give you for it.
    2012 Elite Anwer 65# 29" Pimped Red Hades Skulls Spott Hogg Right On QAD HDX Bloodsport HT-2 300 Stokerized SS1 Firenocks Yeti Grips Tight Spot
    2009 Elite Z28 Realtree AP 28.5" Trophy Ridge 5 pin NAP Apache Easton Axis 400
    Quote Originally Posted by L.I.Archer View Post
    Never trust anyone with two first names.

If you want to sell, I would suggest calling Bass Pro and Cabela's. Buddy of mine sold a head mount to Bass Pro that was just average and I think he got over $400. I would bet yours will bring quite a bit more. Tell them yoiu can send pics... good luck.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX Black Ops 29.5/70 - HHA DS-5510 w/3rd Axis, QAD HDX, Octane BalanceX, Batam, G5 T3, GoPro
    2013 American Eagle Bows Prototype Shooter 30-50#- Oneida Black Eagle built by American Eagle Bows 30-50# (Bowfishing)
    2012 Mission Menace (Bowfishing) Lot's others...

You're gonna sell your "once in a lifetime" buck??? I don't think I could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BP1992 View Post
    You're gonna sell your "once in a lifetime" buck??? I don't think I could do that.
    I'm sure I'll hear that from several, but prioities change. I have pictures. In my forseeable future I dont see my financial situation being able to justify the money needed to show him off appropriately. If I have "play" money, I'd rather spend it on stuff to play with, not look at.

I havent fully decided to sell either. It would have to be of decent value before I'd really consider selling

go to taxidermy.net and you will get offers... i would ask $600
    JerseyJaysTaxidermy.com
    BarbertownSportsmensClub.com

there is one on taxidermy.net right now. he is asking
    $400.00 for it. i would just keep it until you can get
    it mounted. if it is wrapped properly, it will last for
    awhile in the freezer. hope this helps.

Back home they charge $80 to tan a hide. That is what I'd do.

No way I would sell it. I would have it commercially tanned so it doesn't freezer burn. It's hard to put a price on memories.Thats just me. Here is a pic of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BP1992 View Post
    Thats exactly what i was thinking!!!!
    "I don't like REPEAT offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent
    "We must reject the idea that everytime a law is broken that society is guilty rather than the law breaker" - Pres. Reagan
    "To say that guns kill people is like saying that the fork made Rosie O'Donnell fat!" - Woodmaster

Personally, in the end, it is going to be worth more to you than anyone else. They really aren't selling for what they used to right now, and you might regret it later on. If it has been properly wet tanned, you can vacuum pack it and freeze it indefinately. Then down the road, you can have the work done or sell it.
    wildlifebydesign.net

Here's an idea for you. I done this one for a customer who didn't want to pay for a full body mount. It's cheaper than a full body mount & doesn't take up any more room. Call me & we can talk if you want.
    35[1].jpg

I can't believe you sold it! I saw it on taxidermy.net.

I would have thought about $150, but after seeing the numbers you guys have been throwing around, I should have shot a six point pie-bald that I saw this last season. I didn't shoot because he was a two year old six point, and just because he had more white on him than usual, I didn't think was a good reason to kill him. I guess I may be different, but I want him to reach three or four and then have a pie-bald coat as well as a decent rack.