a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Etiquette - Spelling?

My feeling is that If it's close enough....I'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jason060788 View Post
    Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
    i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
    Dang Jason - I think I could have learned to use a back tension release in the time it must have taken you to type this out! I read this almost as fast as I could have read it with perfect grammar and spelling, but it still irritates me to watch the English language get butchered here on AT. Alas, AT is not the only place the language is being butchered. Watch "The Brotherhood" sometime. You'll never hear as many "I seen........." and "They done......"'s in your life! lol
    BowTech Insanity CPXL ; BowTech Experience; Elite Energy 35
    QAD HDX rests
    Spot Hogg Hunter & Tommy Hogg Sights; HHA Optimizer 5519
    Carter Honey Release
    Deer Crossing Archery Hunter arrows, deadly on everything but the pocketbook!

Really buster of x's. I have met plenty. To judge someone as stupid for incorrect spelling is really narrow minded. I have been around a while myself. Yes we should be good spellers and our grammar should be at perfection at all times on here. It really helps us to be better archers. Just as archery could help you win the next spelling bee.

Quote Originally Posted by geekster View Post
    Really buster of x's. I have met plenty. To judge someone as stupid for incorrect spelling is really narrow minded. I have been around a while myself. Yes we should be good spellers and our grammar should be at perfection at all times on here. It really helps us to be better archers. Just as archery could help you win the next spelling bee.
    Archery sure wouldn't make me LOSE a spelling bee. Just as good language skills won't hurt your archery skills, and I'd argue a grasp of the language would improve your archery game and how much you can learn about it.
    Sent via my Nokia Windows phone...I finally upgraded.

Lol. Buster of x's next archery shoot you win because of your spelling skills let all of us on here know.

Quote Originally Posted by pa.hunter View Post
    never realized i am so dumb till now . thanks for telling me so! no i cant spell real good and my grammar is bad also, i don't use periods- much or do i care about it . i work on jet engines. and gas compressors with seals that cost more than you make in a 2 years . and i can build just about anything with a welder and a torch. i have built my own log splitter , made ratchets that you buy in stores with a lathe made my own bow press, string jig and i have built most of the furniture in my house and i have built my own home and sheds and pole barn what can you do that's so much better than me ? don't know you must be a smart fella all i have to say . only thing i like about this site is classifieds any more . cant spell so your stupid ?
    *you're stupid.
    Archery makes my shaft quiver.

Pride, care, and priorities. This is really what it boils down to.

Do you have pride in how people see you?

Do you care about what people think about you?

And are your priorities set to where you value the first and second items?

If the first and second items are not high enough of a priority, then proper spelling or using spell check is definitely not going to be something you worry about.
    My Bows-'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL/Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - '06 Hoyt UltraTec/'09 UltraElite
    Son - '09 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/'13 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/'14 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery National Judge/ Level 4 NTS Coach

Quote Originally Posted by pa.hunter View Post
    never realized i am so dumb till now . thanks for telling me so! no i cant spell real good and my grammar is bad also, i don't use periods- much or do i care about it . i work on jet engines. and gas compressors with seals that cost more than you make in a 2 years . and i can build just about anything with a welder and a torch. i have built my own log splitter , made ratchets that you buy in stores with a lathe made my own bow press, string jig and i have built most of the furniture in my house and i have built my own home and sheds and pole barn what can you do that's so much better than me ? don't know you must be a smart fella all i have to say . only thing i like about this site is classifieds any more . cant spell so your stupid ?
    I never said someone who couldn't spell was dumb, I said I tend to dismiss what someone says when their spelling is atrocious. There is a difference.

Interesting that you work with Jet engines. So do I, though on the software end of things. I'm no slouch myself when it comes to real work either. This is one software engineer who isn't afraid to pick up a wrench and get dirty. Though I do have to tell you, there are few things on this earth that are more terrifying than a software engineer holding a wrench.
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by Buster of Xs View Post
    Archery sure wouldn't make me LOSE a spelling bee. Just as good language skills won't hurt your archery skills, and I'd argue a grasp of the language would improve your archery game and how much you can learn about it.

Oddly enough, I probably wouldn't do so hot on a spelling bee. In part because I am not a fan of public speaking and would probably fumble, and in part because typically write a word and see that it isn't right, rather than spell it right the first time, when I do misspell words at least.

I know I have issues when I use my iphone!
    BowTech Pro Staff 2006-2012, Team QAD, Bowjax, NY State Bow/Hunter Education Instructor and Licensed Guide. NYSCC region 6 Archery Representative. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by td051 View Post
    I know I have issues when I use my iphone!
    There's half the problem right there!

The English language is always changing. Half or more of the people on here, are typing on phones. Quick, fast posts are norm. Should thee not like it as such, look no further then how much we talk different then 100 years ago.

Simple grammar and spelling mistakes are not a big issue in my mind. Sure, some people have learning disabilities. Some may not of had a great education. But does that make them worthy of ridicule; no.

But in saying that, the one thing I see often on all forums (not just archery related) is when someone spools off an entire paragraph, or even an entire page of writing with not one piece of punctuation. Not even a scrappy leftover bit. Then you have to read the post, try and determine what it is exactly the OP was trying to say and then respond. But with no punctuation involved, it can make it near impossible to determine what is being said.

Sure, there are plenty of people who can not spell well that have plenty of brain matter in other areas. I would readily put my own father in that category. But there are also plenty of "educated" people who I would say are dumber then a rock at the bottom of the ocean. For example, a friend of mine who went to University for 6 years, passed with flying colours (yes, that's how we spell colour in Australia) and is now earning top dollar in her chosen field...believed every word when we told her we rode horses to school, as we didn't have roads where we live. We live about 45 minutes drive south of the State Capital. This was only about 5 years ago too.

Leigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    Pride, care, and priorities. This is really what it boils down to.

Do you have pride in how people see you?

Do you care about what people think about you?

And are your priorities set to where you value the first and second items?

If the first and second items are not high enough of a priority, then proper spelling or using spell check is definitely not going to be something you worry about.
    I have enough pride in my work, that I need no one to pat me on the back for it. I'm not looking for a "that a boy" so if my spelling makes someone look down at me, so be it. I hear the air smells different up there.

Quote Originally Posted by jason060788 View Post
    Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
    i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
    Just started reedn this thrad an I can say thss is tha besst......
    But really folks, is this really an issue with people?
    Sent from my Peoples & Crown Index Typewriter useing advanced mental telepathy and fart transference......

I thought grammar was a kind of cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by G20 View Post
    Some people have problems with dyslexia or other learning disabilities/ problems. Not saying all do but some do. Im sure labeling them as stupid or lazy doesnt help the situation.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I happen to fall into that category. Sure I can use spell check if I want but I choose not to.

And the reason why...........because I can usually spot a misspelled word so I keep a spell checker right next to my monitor. I like to challenge myself to try and help me remain sharp. Sucks to have a disability that works on ones mind as well as their physical self.

I dont want any computer changing my spelling for me without me at least trying it first.

Ya know, for many years I was a healthy and proud, college educated, commercial pilot. But due to a nasty little tick bite, I was left disabled and I struggle every day of my life now.

Now anyone that has a problem with that just let me know.

Have a nice day.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

If you can understand what someone is saying. Who gives a rats azz how it's spelled? I didn't realize this was English class.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I happen to fall into that category. Sure I can use spell check if I want but I choose not to.

And the reason why...........because I can usually spot a misspelled word so I keep a spell checker right next to my monitor. I like to challenge myself to try and help me remain sharp. Sucks to have a disability that works on ones mind as well as their physical self.

I dont want any computer changing my spelling for me without me at least trying it first.

Ya know, for many years I was a healthy and proud, college educated, commercial pilot. But due to a nasty little tick bite, I was left disabled and I struggle every day of my life now.

Now anyone that has a problem with that just let me know.

Have a nice day.

Skeet.
    You hold your head high sweet, it is people like yourself that makes this site worth clicking on. Carry on my brother

Mathews z7
    bowtech destroyer 340
    wife bowtech heartbreaker
    if you cant stand the heat dont start the fire.
    Is it November yet?

Quote Originally Posted by shootstraight View Post
    I don't now,I had this bow for sell and it stayed in classified to long and I just couldnt sale it so I thought maybe I should try and sweaten the pot bye adding some arrows. Only problem was I didn't now which spline other people would need for my set up, so I changed my mind. I did however shoot them threw paper and was getting at rt tare, witch didn't seem possible being they were splined correctly. Maybe if I worked on my grammar I'd have more luck..
    LMAO! Love it!

I generally don't like to read poor spelling and grammar, but I will say this. Poor grammar and bad spelling don't make the man. Just look at our current President and you can figure that out!
    BowTech Insanity CPXL ; BowTech Experience; Elite Energy 35
    QAD HDX rests
    Spot Hogg Hunter & Tommy Hogg Sights; HHA Optimizer 5519
    Carter Honey Release
    Deer Crossing Archery Hunter arrows, deadly on everything but the pocketbook!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster of Xs View Post
    It's pretty damned bad if you ask me. Either people are too lazy or just too stupid to learn the language. And the sad part is that all thought is language based, which means those with poor language/spelling skills are also lacking in higher thought in other areas as well.
    I'm turely saddened by some of the replies on this subject by some of our members.

Buster, I really thought you held yourself to higher standards than that. But I guess I was wrong.

It seems that America has turned into a nation of snobs.

Sad, truely sad.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

North Dakota soon to be Coeur d' alene Idaho
    These threads really hack me off! I mean are you seriouse? Some of these statements kill me "Most here are TOO LAZY to spell correctly", are you seriouse with that crap. Like said before, there are people here from other countries, people here with conditions that limit their spelling abilities, and god knows what else. Here is my advice...If it bothers you, go spend your spare time at a spelling bee. I mean how arrogant can you be. After all if you are sooo smart, you should have no problem figuring out what people are saying, should you? Just look at it like its a game, all you superior minds looking over and correcting the work of inferior minds like myself and others. Just remember however, those that may not spell so well, might think YOU are the LAZY ONE. Maybe they think you are lazy if you settle for making less than 100,000 a year. After all the world is your apple, why are you settleing for less? YOU MUST BE LAZY! Also what about all you super intelligent people that are not super ripped and shredded? Maybe you are setting behind your keyboard all super smart like while you are a hundred pounds over weight and eating a samach with heavy heavy mayo as we speak. How smart are you then? Does these things give anyone the right to think you are lazy becuase you dont go to the gym like others do? Are you too lazy to eat right like others do? Whats your problem fatarse? YOU MUST BE LAZY RIGHT? Also what if you are a smoker setting behind the keyboard with all your wisdom just puffing your life away? Maybe there are people on here that cant figure out why the crap you are soo dumb as to do something that you know is going to kill you. YOU MUST NOT BE ABLE TO QUIT BECUASE YOU ARE TOO LAZY!!! At the end of the day, we all have our issues, and no single person is perfect. Maybe instead of correcting others because spelling is something that you are good at, maybe you should make sure their isnt anything that you can correct about yourself first! Once you are perfect, then worry about others. BTW, once you are perfect please pm me so that I know about it. This will mean that I need to spend special time with my family, because obviously JESUS CHRIST is back, and life as we know it is over.

I plan on visiting and enjoying AT for what it is...just a place where there are a lot of good people helping each other. A place where people can come and chit chat about archery and not worry about their grammar. BTW I purposely didnt use spell check, cause I dont care. In am a lazyarse and I know it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 13bonatter69 View Post
    These threads really hack me off! I mean are you seriouse? Some of these statements kill me "Most here are TOO LAZY to spell correctly", are you seriouse with that crap. Like said before, there are people here from other countries, people here with conditions that limit their spelling abilities, and god knows what else. Here is my advice...If it bothers you, go spend your spare time at a spelling bee. I mean how arrogant can you be. After all if you are sooo smart, you should have no problem figuring out what people are saying, should you? Just look at it like its a game, all you superior minds looking over and correcting the work of inferior minds like myself and others. Just remember however, those that may not spell so well, might think YOU are the LAZY ONE. Maybe they think you are lazy if you settle for making less than 100,000 a year. After all the world is your apple, why are you settleing for less? YOU MUST BE LAZY! Also what about all you super intelligent people that are not super ripped and shredded? Maybe you are setting behind your keyboard all super smart like while you are a hundred pounds over weight and eating a samach with heavy heavy mayo as we speak. How smart are you then? Does these things give anyone the right to think you are lazy becuase you dont go to the gym like others do? Are you too lazy to eat right like others do? Whats your problem fatarse? YOU MUST BE LAZY RIGHT? Also what if you are a smoker setting behind the keyboard with all your wisdom just puffing your life away? Maybe there are people on here that cant figure out why the crap you are soo dumb as to do something that you know is going to kill you. YOU MUST NOT BE ABLE TO QUIT BECUASE YOU ARE TOO LAZY!!! At the end of the day, we all have our issues, and no single person is perfect. Maybe instead of correcting others because spelling is something that you are good at, maybe you should make sure their isnt anything that you can correct about yourself first! Once you are perfect, then worry about others. BTW, once you are perfect please pm me so that I know about it. This will mean that I need to spend special time with my family, because obviously JESUS CHRIST is back, and life as we know it is over.

I plan on visiting and enjoying AT for what it is...just a place where there are a lot of good people helping each other. A place where people can come and chit chat about archery and not worry about their grammar. BTW I purposely didnt use spell check, cause I dont care. In am a lazyarse and I know it!!!!
    Personally, I don't give a rip if you can't spell. But the fact remains that many people, not just on these boards, will tend to dismiss things written by someone with poor grammar.

Example 1) Someone looking to hire an employee that has 2 prospects that are roughly equal. One has this on his application: "While I was there manager, I oversaw 20 employees and ensured we were able to meet are goals.", and the other has this: "While I was their manager, I oversaw 20 employees and ensured we were able to meet our goals." Which one do you think is going to get hired??

Example 2) Sales rep A hangs a flyer at the local club with a line saying "Are bows are better", Sales rep B hangs up a flyer with a line saying "Our bows are better" which one is more likely to get sales if these are the only 2 options, and they are equal everywhere else?

Everyone has a right to be stupid. Just don't abuse that right

It just chaps me when I run into some of us that are educated and stupid. Don't get me wrong I support education but common sense has been thrown out the window. I have met degree graduates who could not read a tape measure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast