Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Forum Etiquette - Spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by hoody123 View Post
    It's simply not a priority to most anymore - instant gratification in the desire FOR things as well as EXPRESSING things. I correct spelling and grammar on all work my students hand in. It drives them insane at first, they say "This is math, not English!" I always let them know that everywhere they commit word to paper they're being judged whether they want it or not.

A remarkable number of kids down the line have come back and thanked me for that advice (usually with respect to their written language on social media sites, but it remains that if you're putting it down, it's worth doing it correctly). I also correct grammar while they're speaking in class, and I'll admit that to some extent, the school system is to blame for grammar. It's simply not taught to kids as rigourously as it should be, and in some cases their teachers aren't as proficient as they need to be. But, as pointed out, the English language is a dynamic language and it changes (not as rapidly as some would hope). An example is explaining the difference between less and fewer. Realistically, I think that ship has sailed, but I persist in correcting kids on that one. Another is when you say "Joe and me" vs "Joe and I". Kids will fight up and down that they've been corrected to say "Joe and I" ALWAYS. I believe them, but will always take to the time to teach them how to decide when to use each.

Are you sure they're all coming to you because they're incapable, or simply that they don't feel it's the best use of their time? As an example, I'm going to take my car in this week to have the tires swapped over from winter to summer. They're already on rims and I certainly know how to do it, and am perfectly capable of doing it, I just couldn't be BOTHERED doing it. I don't mind shelling out the money to have someone else do it for me. There are plenty of things I know that I could learn how to do, it's a matter of whether I feel like doing it. I COULD learn how to do all the plumbing in my place that needs to be done, but again, I figure, why bother - I'd rather spend that time doing stuff that I want to do. It has nothing to do with lack of capability.
    Probably...but still..most would have a hard time building a bird house....even though they are great spellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Pine View Post
    How will I sleep at night with your disapproval hanging over my head?

Very well actually. Same as last night and the night before.

Sent from my Apple II using PokeAParrot
    What disapproval? All your words are spelled correctly and used in the proper context. Good job! You get a gold star.
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

Grammar is pretty important. It is the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by bayeux View Post
    LOL, but a tyre is what i need for my car, to tire means i need to get more exercise, we could go on about this all knight sorry night lol
    Here's one for you -- why do the Brits refer to the large storage area of a car as the "boot?" Americans call it a "trunk" because old cars used to literally have storage trunks on the back.
    "Mr. Jefferson, build up that wall!" -- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by ctmartinshooter View Post
    Here's one for you -- why do the Brits refer to the large storage area of a car as the "boot?" Americans call it a "trunk" because old cars used to literally have storage trunks on the back.
    .............and the hood is the "bonnet" and fenders are "wings"! I owned a couple Triumphs back in the day, a '59 TR3 and a '64 TR4, and except for the Lucas electrics, enjoyed the he11 out of those beasties. But we'll save those stories for another thread.
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

Quote Originally Posted by DougKMN View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time giving any credibility to someone who has such a weak grasp on basic grammar that they don't seem to know the difference between our and are. When such a person tries to give an opinion somewhere, I can't help but think "what do you know, you aren't even smart enough to know the difference between there and their." I also think it reflects poorly on the community here.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    How do you feel about pronoun-antecedent agreement in number?

Do you have a problem with runon sentences created by comma splices?

How about proper use of question marks?

Quote Originally Posted by ctmartinshooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 410gage View Post
    .............and the hood is the "bonnet" and fenders are "wings"! I owned a couple Triumphs back in the day, a '59 TR3 and a '64 TR4, and except for the Lucas electrics, enjoyed the he11 out of those beasties. But we'll save those stories for another thread.
    Maybe they used to boot them up the rear if they didn't start lol, we do have some names you don't use like the spare storage area in the passenger side is known as a glove compartment, which is usually filled with crap not gloves, correct me if i'm wrong but we Brits turn on a tap to get water, but you call it a fawcet, to get of the motorway we use a slip road,you call it an off ramp, SUV we call a 4x4, aluminium which you make to sound like aloominum, all stated in good humour. I thinks it's great that the English language is spoken and terms used are so varied, even to the area you live in, i have been in the company of archers in national competition when i have said some things they didn't understand a word of, EG how are you would be said in Black Country dialect as AH BIN YA or AH BIST, yep you are still in England.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345