Thread: question on cameras the pros use and editing software...

Lightbulb question on cameras the pros use and editing software...

Im going to but a good camer for filming.
    I have a Canon DSLR and I prolly want to stick with canon. any suggestions on models? im looking at one of the whitetail packages from cambell cameras.

but i was wondering what the pros use like from bone collector and top notch shows like that..and what editing software they would probably use.

if anyone can help that would be great...also any advice on things to get? im looking for top quality video and audio and editing. thanks.
    Arrowed TV
    WWW.ARROWEDTV.COM
    Obsession Sniper LT
    Pope And Young Measurer

If you want cameras like the top shows you are looking at the sony ex series. These are about 6k and up. I know real tree outdoors use these. They use these because they have the money and also for the outdoor channel you have to have 3 1/2 in. sensors in your camera for there channel.
    Most come with 3 1/3 in. sensors and sopme come with 3 1/4 in. sensors. IMO sony is the way to go on cameras. They have such a better line up. The AX2000 is a great camera and the NX5 is also. but if you have the 6k to spend just on the camera then go the ex series. As far as editing, I would say most use a pro series of adobe which is 2-3 thousand. It takes alot of money to have the top stuff.
    I can do all things through Christ Jesus !

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    If you want cameras like the top shows you are looking at the sony ex series. These are about 6k and up. I know real tree outdoors use these. They use these because they have the money and also for the outdoor channel you have to have 3 1/2 in. sensors in your camera for there channel.
    Most come with 3 1/3 in. sensors and sopme come with 3 1/4 in. sensors. IMO sony is the way to go on cameras. They have such a better line up. The AX2000 is a great camera and the NX5 is also. but if you have the 6k to spend just on the camera then go the ex series. As far as editing, I would say most use a pro series of adobe which is 2-3 thousand. It takes alot of money to have the top stuff.
    ok cool thanks for all the info! I definately dont have that kind of money lol ok so say I wanted the next best thing thats more affordable. Im looking in the $3000 range for cameras and im not sure for the editing. any other ideas for me?
    Arrowed TV
    WWW.ARROWEDTV.COM
    Obsession Sniper LT
    Pope And Young Measurer

Not sure about cameras but an alternative to Adobe Premiere is Sony Vegas Pro 11. It's somewhere around $600.

http://www.campbellcameras.com/shopp...-Packages.aspx

what about from these lineups? or any other pakages anyone could paste links to. thanks,
    Arrowed TV
    WWW.ARROWEDTV.COM
    Obsession Sniper LT
    Pope And Young Measurer

Final cut Express is a good program to work with if you are working on a Mac, As far as cameras what will you be filming, are you a bow hunter or rifle hunter or both. One thing I think is a must is a twenty optical zoom. We have run the FX7 and have had good luck and have now moved up into the tape less cameras. Camera all depends on budget and what you plan on doing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarman View Post
    Final cut Express is a good program to work with if you are working on a Mac, As far as cameras what will you be filming, are you a bow hunter or rifle hunter or both. One thing I think is a must is a twenty optical zoom. We have run the FX7 and have had good luck and have now moved up into the tape less cameras. Camera all depends on budget and what you plan on doing with it.
    ok thanks for the info. very helpful ill be filming mostly with bow and filming some gun hunts also
    Arrowed TV
    WWW.ARROWEDTV.COM
    Obsession Sniper LT
    Pope And Young Measurer

If your editing digital video and not film, most pro's I know edit with Avid or FCP 7.0.
    Peace-
    Kirk
    WWW.ANCHORFROG.COM

More of my Pictures here..

Patriot @30" draw @75lbs 290FPS 84 LBS KE
    2005 Old glory @30.5" Draw @65lbs

Tried Avid, Premiere Pro and most all the others including Edius. I still find Vegas faster to work with. I do any extreme SFX stuff in After Effects and then to Vegas to put it all together and add sound in. Unless you're a big outfit working with others then there's no need for a big expensive app. Vegas is also getting better with more and more OFX plugins from the creators. FCP is limited but it's less expensive. Get a trial version of Vegas and see how you like it.
    Nothing is fool proof because fools are so ingenious.

Quote of the day : " Life is too short to shoot and hunt with a mediocre crossbow ".

I bought a Sony Nx5U great camera bought it from them. I would look at the Nx70 very nice in your price range I would not buy a package in the packages there is a lot of unnecessary stuff you won't want to carry around the woods you can just buy the things you really need just my 2 cents Good luck with whatever you get they are excellent people to deal with.

Canon 60d and final cut 7.

Canon XF105 and FCP7.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    The Outdoor Channel does not require 3 1/2 inch sensors. They do require HD footage but sensor size is not a requirement. I have done video with 3 different shows on the outdoor channel and I use the sony hvr z5u with an mrc1 flash recorder. And the industry standard for editing is final cut pro.

Depends on what industry you're looking at. Avid is used by bigger places and a lot of private single operation places use FCP. Not a lot of addons for FCP. After Effects merges with PP so they do well together. But like many things it's not the app that makes the video what it is, it's the guy behind the KB.

15. As for software, you need to use them all to see which one is the easiest for you to learn and use. Take your time and download a 30 day trial version for each one and keep switching them out month to month till you decide. Adobe Premier C5.5 Pro ($800) and Sony Vegas Pro 11 ($600) have been my choices with Sony Vegas Pro 11 being a little easier to use.

Vegas keeps getting better and better. CS5.5 is clunky to me. I've tried Edius (just a little) and it's pretty nice. In Edius you can use a lot of the AE plugins so that's a big bonus. A lot of people say Edius is the best once you learn it and use it some. It does seem to run faster than CS5.5.