a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie: The Hunger Games - Who's gonna see it?

Quote Originally Posted by rjharcher View Post
    Well I know this may not be popular but here is what I wrote on my facbook this morning. I realize the archery may be cool but think about this.
    I am troubled in my spirit this morning. This will be a long post but I hope you read it and think about what I have to say. I am concerned when we (Christians) get excited about a new movie coming out "The Hunger Games". For those who do not know. The Hunger Games is a movie about the blatant destruction of the one thing in creation that God gave his life for, "Man". The movie depicts a World government that requires "Tribute/Sacrifice" from its districts. The Tribute is one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 an d 18. These kids will then be required to "play in the hunger games". The game takes place in a big "arena" and viewed by the population on huge screens. Th game is, you kill all the others before they kill you and the last one standing wins. The movies depicts kids killing each other in various ways which I will not describe here. But one scene in particular that I saw shows the depraved indifference to the most precious gift of life. The scene show a girl of 12 sitting next to the bloody body of a friend that has just been killed. She is sitting there crying and holding her head in her hands saying she just wants to go home to her family. As she sits there you see another older girl running toward her with a weapon in her hand. The girl sitting there looks up and knows whats coming and just closes her eyes, making no attempt to protect herself she is mercilessly killed by the other girl. Does this remind you of sometime in history? The Roman Emperor Nero captured Christians and set them in the arena to be killed mercilessly by Gladiators. At the same time pitting Gladiator against Gladiator in fight to the death. He called it games.
    As long as we the people continue to pay the money to the theaters and video rentals to view such movies, the movies will continue to be made. I speak to the "Christians" who would support this with their funds. What are you saying whenyou take the money God has given you, and support it? What do you think He feels and thinks? I for one will not be giving my money to this abomination.
    There is a religion forum you could go preach in.

Quote Originally Posted by HOOSIER55 View Post
    went last night at midnight, good movie, worth watching, if i had kids they wouldnt be going to it. Its interesting to watch, some pretty cool stuff in it, its also kind wierd in a way.

Why was it weird?.......without giving anything away or spoiling it. lol

X2 ( sounds like you have already spent the money god has given you to go watch it )

Quote Originally Posted by rutnstrut View Post
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo, 28" draw #2 cam (Max 1) 55-65lbs.
    394 grain Easton Injextion 400's shooting 294fps
    CBE Tek Hybrid, QAD HDX/Hoyt, Tight Spot Quiver, Fuse BHFS Stabilizer, blue accessories.

Well I know this may not be popular but here is what I wrote on my facbook this morning. I realize the archery may be cool but think about this.
    I am troubled in my spirit this morning. This will be a long post but I hope you read it and think about what I have to say. I am concerned when we (Christians) get excited about a new movie coming out "The Hunger Games". For those who do not know. The Hunger Games is a movie about the blatant destruction of the one thing in creation that God gave his life for, "Man". The movie depicts a World government that requires "Tribute/Sacrifice" from its districts. The Tribute is one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 an d 18. These kids will then be required to "play in the hunger games". The game takes place in a big "arena" and viewed by the population on huge screens. Th game is, you kill all the others before they kill you and the last one standing wins. The movies depicts kids killing each other in various ways which I will not describe here. But one scene in particular that I saw shows the depraved indifference to the most precious gift of life. The scene show a girl of 12 sitting next to the bloody body of a friend that has just been killed. She is sitting there crying and holding her head in her hands saying she just wants to go home to her family. As she sits there you see another older girl running toward her with a weapon in her hand. The girl sitting there looks up and knows whats coming and just closes her eyes, making no attempt to protect herself she is mercilessly killed by the other girl. Does this remind you of sometime in history? The Roman Emperor Nero captured Christians and set them in the arena to be killed mercilessly by Gladiators. At the same time pitting Gladiator against Gladiator in fight to the death. He called it games.
    As long as we the people continue to pay the money to the theaters and video rentals to view such movies, the movies will continue to be made. I speak to the "Christians" who would support this with their funds. What are you saying whenyou take the money God has given you, and support it? What do you think He feels and thinks? I for one will not be giving my money to this abomination.

Save it. You have a separate part of the forum for your ramblings. I don't even want to start on this side of the topic.
    Enjoy life man...I'm again glad I'm not religious.
    SH Archery & Custom Bow Tuning
    Dealer for Bowtech, Elite, Bear, and PSE
    2015 Bowtech Prodigy

..gonna see it with my 13 year old son...much to my wife's chagrin!!!
    #60 Hoyt Vector Turbo MAX-1, #60 Hoyt Alphaburner Blackout
    #45 Hoyt Ruckus, TradTech Pinnacle #43 Kaya Carbon Limbs
    Whalen's Hooker Releases & Bowfinger PRO Staffer
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersP...0?feature=mhee
    http://www.youtube.com/user/realtubular?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXIS31 View Post
    X2 ( sounds like you have already spent the money god has given you to go watch it )
    actually no money spent, I was curious because of seeing some preiews, short ones, and hearing people talk. So I researched on the internet and watched several trailers and short clips from the movie, that I found. No money spent. And I am not preaching just giving my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
    Save it. You have a separate part of the forum for your ramblings. I don't even want to start on this side of the topic.
    I for one am glad I'm religious. HOWEVER, I also don't believe that harry potter is the devil . It's a movie, that's it. People, we have brains for a reason, use them. Looks like it'll be entertaining.

The girls and I just got back from seeing it, it was alright I guess, very predictable though.

BTW, I'm a Christian and I saw nothing wrong with taking my family to see it, it's just a movie, take it for it is
    If you fight fire with fire, all you do is burn your fingers too

No matter what any of the critics may tell you, Hunger games is nothing like the running man. There may be similarities with Battle Royale, but definetley not the same story line and if you go further into the 3 books of the mockingjay series it heads a completely different way. I don't think that Suzanne Collins copied anything. I applaud here for bringing in some new ideas in this hollywood world of the same old stroy. It's kind of like saying all the bows are copied and the same cuz they all have preloaded limbs... Sitting in the movies last week saw another preview for ANOTHER film version of SPIDER MAN??? Seems like the writers are running out of original ideas to me. I'm working on some new ideas for them.

That being said, I am excited for the movie cuz I love the books, and yes it PROMOTES archery and HUNTING!!! How many hollywood stories have put hunting in a positive light in how long? Add in that its a female doing the hunting with a bow... I just have a hard time seeing how this is a bad thing for the sport and lifestyle. Just may open alot of eyes.
    Many thanks to my family and friends through the years who helped me become who I am today.

Sounds like the Christian Crusades!
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

I really think you need to read the books. The books are about how horrible the games are. Read all 3. They are about standing up to what is wrong and evil.

I saw it today...pretty good movie. not as good as I hoped, but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dbowmaster View Post
    Is it me just imagining this or is she shooting the recurve with the arrow on the outside of her hand???? (in the last pic)
    I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it between the index, and middle finger's knuckle, on the outside. And why is she pointing?

The story (fake) is meant to provoke thought about such issues, not glorify it. The real gladiator battles ... key word here is "real", and I have no idea the real motivation behind it, as I didn't live in that time period, nor have done any research on it.

Quote Originally Posted by hedp View Post

So who's going to see this movie?

I wonder if interest in archery will go up with this movie similar to how the movie "Fast & Furious" was a boon for the auto industry, especially Asian cars and aftermarket parts shops.

I'm going to see it in 4 hours. So excited.
    I really hope it brings more interest into archery. And like the person linked to the L.A. Times, it seems like it has had some effect already:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...5.story?page=2

I'm trying to get more people into archery, here in San Diego, CA. I'm going to post some flyers, and see if they want to join me when I have archery practice.

KATNISS.jpg

lol.

From what I got the movie is about Big Government and how bad it can get.

I don't think it glorifies killing others, I think it provokes thought and what can happen if government gets too big.
    The movie is about standing up for what is right.
    The Original Bling Sling
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery

They are great books! One of the best series I have read. So for sure the movie will be a disappointment. But I will be going to see it anyway.

Romans killians Christians , what about Christians killing , um I dont know , Native Americans , Entire civilizations of "Mexicans " the list is endless- And since we we are talking about Kids , Lets bring up the Catholic Priests thing................... Just Saying

Oh yea and what about all the people your god forgot to give money ?

saw it with my 3 daughters tonight.i enjoyed it.they wont tell me what happens in the next one so i guess i may read the books
    2010 P.S.E AXE 6 - 2013 mathews helim

Just got back....couple thoughts...
    1. I thought it was interesting how in a dystopia setting the people thought she would win because she could hunt!
    2. She actually has pretty good finger form...she is really concentrating on a particular shot and they show a lot of closeups...she is anchored properly!

Must have been a fellow AT'er in the crowd....someone yelled "Your draw length is too long!"
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

I watched the movie last night (read the books a while back), and I really enjoyed it. The archery was close enough to be enjoyable to watch, which is something I was worried about. I haven't let my 9 year old girl read the books, because they are a touch heavy for her, but after seeing the movie I will let her watch it and maybe reconsider the books.
    PARENTS: There is some gore and killing, some crying and emotionally heavy stuff, but no sex (one kiss) no drugs, no rock and roll. I would say it's fine as long as the little ones aren't too sensitive. Go see it. And I already saw one new thread in the General discussion started by a brand new member asking about her shooting glove. So that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DiezelsDad View Post
    There was an article in Google news yesterday about woman taking an interest in archery because of the trailer.
    My daughter and thus me got started in archery because of Lord of the Rings. I got started because of my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by rutnstrut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddustdc View Post
    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by nib View Post
    Romans killians Christians , what about Christians killing , um I dont know , Native Americans , Entire civilizations of "Mexicans " the list is endless- And since we we are talking about Kids , Lets bring up the Catholic Priests thing................... Just Saying

Oh yea and what about all the people your god forgot to give money ?
    rjharcher expressed his opinion about the movie and the rest of you pounced on it, just like about every post in Gen Pop. It is his opinion, just like you have yours. I will bet each of you would vigorously defend your "right" to express yourself, so why can't he even if you don't agree with it?

As for me, I read all 3 books while visiting with my Mom in the hospital before she died. I plan on watching the movie when all the initial hoopla dies down a bit and all the screaming kids have seen it. The books where were pretty exciting and I hope the movie holds true to the story line. I wonder how they will keep the movie rating down without taking away from the book's version.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..

The Hunger Games is a movie about the blatant destruction of the one thing in creation that God gave his life for, "Man".
    What does not kill us makes us stronger. I'm glad there are people out there like you who take the time to reflect on things such this. If people don't, then maybe we are heading to a future like the one portrayed in the movie. However, as someone pointed out, the books were written to highlight the issue brought up in the movie. The fact that you took the time to think about it shows that good can come out of any situation.

In everyday life, not just in the movies two different people can react in different ways to the same situation. Some people will see the movie and say "wow, that's messed up I will do everything in my power to ensure our future does not come to this". Others will just see it as just a movie admiring the actors, or how realistic or non-realistic the archery scenes are. And others may think "Wow that would be fun to be able to legally kill someone."

I commend you for your beliefs and caution others not to lump all people of faith together. Examine a person's motive behind every action. We will probably go see the movie today. I'll let you know my thoughts after seeing it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast