a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Aiming / archer's paradox question(s)

Aiming / archer's paradox question(s)

Hi Forum,

I'm new to archery and have been to a local range six times renting equipment with which to shoot. I will get right to my question. If I wanted to actually use an aiming reference on a recurve bow, would I aim through the rest on the riser (not sights or other accoutrements), or would I actually point the tip of the arrow at the target? The thing is, when I see the target in my secondary vision, or even if I just look from the target to the arrow, I see that the arrow is pointing slightly left. My gut feeling is that if I let go of the string, the arrow will go left of where I want to hit; however, I read information at this website http://www.meta-synthesis.com/archery/archery.html
    This leads me to believe that I should be using the riser to aim, or trying to aim through the centerline of the bow. I might be interpreting this incorrectly.

I have ordered a couple of books. Problem is, they haven't shipped yet from the seller (Become the Arrow and Shooting the Stick Bow). I will probably go back to the range before they get here. As an aside, how important is it to get the arrow right under the eye? I believe that when I shoot off my finger tips, am able to get the arrow closer to this then when doing so with the string in the crease of my first knuckle. I also think this is probably the incorrect way to draw the bow. I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance. I know you must get tired of novices inundating you with questions

88 -

If the bow/arrow are matched/tuned correctly, the arrow will point in the same direction while at anchor as it will in flight. That's kinda the point of tuning. The odds are overwhelming that your rental equipment is nowhere near matched or tuned.

To have the arrow "aimed" dead center below the bulls eye, it also implies that the tail of the arrow is directly below your aiming eye, or you are compensating for the angle off.

The arrow however will need to be considerably below the target at "beginner" distances.

I see you are in NYC, which range are you using?

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Hi Viper,

Thank you for the reply. I've been using C&B Archery in Hicksville. I'm hoping I can pick up proper form from the books I ordered; I had a brief lesson at the range, but after missing the target several times, I starting doing several things which I have since discovered are not good, canting the bow, grip is just flat out wrong, anchor point is probably wrong too, I think I release too early, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    88 -

If the bow/arrow are matched/tuned correctly, the arrow will point in the same direction while at anchor as it will in flight. That's kinda the point of tuning. The odds are overwhelming that your rental equipment is nowhere near matched or tuned.

To have the arrow "aimed" dead center below the bulls eye, it also implies that the tail of the arrow is directly below your aiming eye, or you are compensating for the angle off.

The arrow however will need to be considerably below the target at "beginner" distances.

I see you are in NYC, which range are you using?

Viper1 out.

SS-

I'm at CB a few days a week. Let me know the next time you're coming down. I can try to give you a hand.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Thanks, Viper. I don't know if you will be around, but I intend to visit C&B on Wednesday around 1 PM.

Steve

Steve -

I run the matches Wednesday nights, and usually get there between 5 and 6. Can't really get there much earlier on Wednesdays. I'm there earlier on Tues and Thurs (usually).

Viper1 out.

Hi Viper,

No problem. I don't want to intrude on your time, so what might be the best time for me to bother you? I can make time right now.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve -

Check your PMs

Viper1 out.