Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Morels

Quote Originally Posted by BP1992 View Post
    How in the world can that be fun?
    I haven't done it in a long time, but the fun for me wasn't just in finding them (gave me yet another excuse to be in the woods), it was the reward in the frying pan afterwards.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
    Why would this topic be in the bowhunting area????
    We're bowhunters hunting mushrooms. Aside from turkeys, what else are we gonna hunt right now?
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Manhunter50 View Post
    I haven't done it in a long time, but the fun for me wasn't just in finding them (gave me yet another excuse to be in the woods), it was the reward in the frying pan afterwards.
    x2 dont care looking for them really but everyone around here that i have talked to loves to eat them. can also bring pretty good money

Quote Originally Posted by ksgoosekillr View Post
    ill shoot the next one i find with my bow, that should help you sleep better at night
    That's funny man! I needed that thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhunter50 View Post
    We're bowhunters hunting mushrooms. Aside from turkeys, what else are we gonna hunt right now?
    man we have another month for turkeys still, some people around here just need to loosen up a little

Quote Originally Posted by HOOSIER55 View Post
    yes i have, i hunt them in the day as well, but always had better luck finding them at night, i have heard that they grow a half inch to in inch per hour at night. i think it is easier because your looking at a smaller and more focused area. i found 300 to 400 in 2 hours one night with a flashlight.
    That's a pretty good idea actually. I had never thought of that.
    2013 LH BOWTECH EXPERIENCE 61.26 LBS 29.5"
    2008 LH BOWTECH GENERAL 58.9 LBS 29.5"
    2007 LH BOWTECH GUARDIAN 61.6 LBS 30"

Ohio in the fall/ PA the rest of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow42 View Post
    I used to love searching for them with my dad in Ohio. I love to eat them. Unfortunately, there are not any around her in SE PA. If anyone wants to sell and ship a bag to me, I will gladly pay you for them. Please PM me. Thank you!
    You must not be looking in the right places? I am in south central/ southeast PA and I have no problem finding enough for me and my family every year. Old abandoned apple orchards, south facing hills, and where ever there are may apples blooming are my best spots.
    WARNING:
    1.- I am not associated with any company, product or personality.
    2.- I am not sponsored; nor a fanboy.
    3.- I do not harvest, I kill tasty animals and I eat them on a regular basis.

Longbow 42... there are still spots in SE PA that have them... just gotta do some serious searching

Went out this morning and found these...

mail.jpg

Diamond The Rock
    28"/65lbs
    Gold tip w/ slick Tricks
    Wisker Biscut
    Tru Glo 3 pin

Quote Originally Posted by smokin x's View Post
    You must not be looking in the right places? I am in south central/ southeast PA and I have no problem finding enough for me and my family every year. Old abandoned apple orchards, south facing hills, and where ever there are may apples blooming are my best spots.
    Thanks, I will get out there. Are you finding them now in PA or too early yet? Thanks.
    NBA Eclipse 70# @ 33.5"/Black Eagle Rampages w FF Vanes/Exodus/Black Gold Ascent/Axion Pulse
    PSE Freak 64# @ 33.5"/Black Eagle Carnivores/Grave Digger/BG Ascent/Axion Pulse
    Thunderhorn Longbow 64# @ 32"/ Arrow Dynamic Trad Arrows
    John's Custom Strings

I have found one nice big one here in SW MO. I cooked it up and ate it tonight. I will be looking more this weekend but I am really considering buying a morel seed kit and trying to grow some in the backyard.
    www.ikesoutdoors.com Bow and Product Reviews, How-to videos and more
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ikesoutdoors

Quote Originally Posted by ike_osu View Post
    I have found one nice big one here in SW MO. I cooked it up and ate it tonight. I will be looking more this weekend but I am really considering buying a morel seed kit and trying to grow some in the backyard.
    Save your money....Take the rinse water you use to wash them and dump it out where you think they'll grow in your yard....Check the spot next year....
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference....Marines dont have that problem." Ronald Reagan
    09 PSE GX6, Sword sight, Limbdriver Pro, Doinker, Easton epicnfused, Muzzy Broadheads
    Deerview Mirror Prostaff

Not the "MotherLoad" but found about 70 or 80 nice yellows tonight here in So. IL.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference....Marines dont have that problem." Ronald Reagan
    09 PSE GX6, Sword sight, Limbdriver Pro, Doinker, Easton epicnfused, Muzzy Broadheads
    Deerview Mirror Prostaff

I'd be real happy with 70-80 
    We found 6 nice ones this evening. Going back to the same area in the morning
    Nice tip on using rinse water for future morels. 
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

They also say that when you collect them, put them in an onion sack or a mesh type sack. That way as you move around you knock the spores off and "plant" more in the same area.

70 or 80 would make a nice snack for me! I think I could eat them as long as they were in front of me.
    Scott Outdoors & Archery Everything you need with low prices and fast shipping!
    Arrows from Beman - Carbon Express - Easton - Gold Tip - Victory
    Hunting Apparel such as Scent-Lok - Robinson Outdoors Inc. Scentblocker - Natural Gear - Russell Outdoors - & More!
    scott-outdoors-archery@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    Be careful posting photos of your harvest, a landowner may recogonize the mushroom you have and hunt you down and kill you and your family for stealing his mushrooms. Just what I heard, its a big problem in the midwest and don't want anyone getting hurt.
    I Like It!!!!!!!!!!! Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    Be careful posting photos of your harvest, a landowner may recogonize the mushroom you have and hunt you down and kill you and your family for stealing his mushrooms. Just what I heard, its a big problem in the midwest and don't want anyone getting hurt.
    Well if people wouldn't trespass, it wouldn't be a problem!
    Hunting Apparel such as Scent-Lok - Robinson Outdoors Inc. Scentblocker - Natural Gear - Russell Outdoors - & More!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow42 View Post
    Thanks, I will get out there. Are you finding them now in PA or too early yet? Thanks.
    I will let you know in a few hours. Going to check a few of my spots right now. It'll be my first time out this year.
    WARNING:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost23 View Post
    70 or 80 would make a nice snack for me! I think I could eat them as long as they were in front of me.
    thats how i am

This is HILARIOUS!!!

Sounds like someone^ thinks it's funny.

Between my brother, uncle, and cousin they got 8.1 lbs tonight. Add in the 1 lb I picked the little bit I was with them, and the 1lb my wife, daughter, and I found early in the day and we got a nice little feast. My daughter is 20 months old and will eat the cook morels as fast as you can get them on the plate.

You guys that are finding them already are making me jealous. I checked a few of my early spots today and nothing yet. I think it needs to stay a little warmer at night for a few days to a week before they really start popping up around here.
    WARNING:

Athens Factory Staff Shooter http://www.athensarchery.com/home 2012 Athens Recluse-----2013 Athens Judgement
    Perfection Turkey Calls ProStaff
    Straight N Arrow Staff www.snaarchery.com
    bcbowdesigns.com, Trinity Archery Field Staff---- Hamskea Archery Shooting Staff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast