Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 AT, Western Forum, "Post up your elk sounds" Part 4 Special Elk Sounds

2012 AT, Western Forum, "Post up your elk sounds" Part 4 Special Elk Sounds

Allrighty.... Let's get part 4 going, shall we... For this fourth phase of our 2012 post em up mission.. let's go with "special elk sounds"... Popping Grunt, Estrus Buzz, Lip Bawl Bugle, and finally... the always fun Lost Cow Call. Each have a specific meaning when heard and when given in the elk woods.. Who of my esteemed AT friends will throw their sounds out first? We've come a long ways thing winter/early spring and many of us have learned a ton from the resident experts (and fellow hunters) who post up their comments... Let's keep this going strong. As always remember, the other threads are alive and well and you may certainly post up your new offerings on them... RJ

Alpine Archery F1 Fireball
    "Sir, left side Sir!" "Are you sure Private Pyle?"
    Elknut Field Staff

I know a few of you are working up your part 4 soundclouds as I type Gotta burn the big brush piles on my property today but will get my offerings posted up this weekend RJ
    Elknut Field Staff

Allright campers... I made the attached utube vid in my boat shed.... The tin walls make the sounds more than a bit tinny so bear that in mind please. Again, I opologize for the IR video on my action cam....... It's a bit creepy I feel I can knock down the popping grunt, lip bawl bugles (sorry about throwing in the few grunts, it's a matter of habit), and the lost cow pretty well. The estrus buzz... well, that's something I need work on. The video Elknut1 threw up a while back containing a cow making the estrus buzz was my sample for my attempt.. I tried to mimic the short, quick version of the buzz.. Funny, I've heard this noise (estrus buzz) in the elk woods and didn't know what it was until last year.. I knew it was an elk, but didn't know what the sound meant. OK... thoughts on the sounds I've thrown up? Thanks....... love these elk noise threads RJ

http://youtu.be/-P93YdEySUg
    Elknut Field Staff

i'll be home tomorrow where i can plug my speakers in. the sound on this laptop isn't the greatest. the nervous grunt didn't sound like it was hitting hard at the end but it could be my "speaker" on this laptop.
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

Crickets..... I know you guys know that there are more sounds in the elk language besides basic herd cow sounds, thunderous bugles, grunts, and screams ... Where ya at guys? As you can tell by my meager offering, these sounds are a bit tough but do have their place in the elk woods. Popping grunt (I know you're there but can't see you.. show yourself). Estrus buzz (not necessary means a cow is in her breeding cycle but certainly demands attention by it's uniqueness alone). Lip bawl bugle (a bull's personal call, getting attention of his herd.. can be mixed in with a bugle to cause serious excitement in a confrontation). Lost cow (heeeeeyyyyyyy, where'd everybody go; this can certainly be advantagous to an elk hunter).. If I'm wrong on my interpretation of what these sounds mean, somebody please chime in. Let's hear em! Slim? Taco? Trophy? flystrait? ceetoo? jerinmn? lovestobowhunt (yes, we're still waiting young lady)..

Waiting on some feedback on my offerings also.... Elknut1? GSelkhunter? WW? Bring it.. I can take it (it only makes me better)... RJ
    Elknut Field Staff

i'm still trying to learn part 2 now that i'm done dog/sitting i will get on here in a day or 2 and get some sounds up.

I think this thread has me whooped! =)

I don't know if I can post some of these sounds publicly Rory. =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

lol Conlan. i know the feeling but we have time. don't rush and don't get frustrated. stay the course. we will be ready when sept rolls around. take a step back, a deep breath and maybe some that haven't posted yet will give us a short break.

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    Maybe some that haven't posted yet will give us a short break.
    That's what I was hoping for _ But, by virtue of being the dang thread starter, and, nobody was throwing up their sounds.. I felt it was my duty, moral obligation, and patriotic AT duty to throw my "work in progress" sounds out for the masses and get this thing started. I feel I can get acceptable sounds out for three of the four (not necessarily good at this point, but acceptable) but that estrus buzz is a mystery to me... I'm hoping somebody can explain how to replicate that sound using a diaphram..
    Elknut Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom16 View Post
    That's what I was hoping for _ But, by virtue of being the dang thread starter, and, nobody was throwing up their sounds.. I felt it was my duty, moral obligation, and patriotic AT duty to throw my "work in progress" sounds out for the masses and get this thing started. I feel I can get acceptable sounds out for three of the four (not necessarily good at this point, but acceptable) but that estrus buzz is a mystery to me... I'm hoping somebody can explain how to replicate that sound using a diaphram..
    i think its similar to a lip bawl Rory. the lips should be as if playing a trumpet accept much shorter than the lip bawl of course. do you use a double or triple? it may be easier with a single.

i think its similar to a lip bawl Rory. the lips should be as if playing a trumpet accept much shorter than the lip bawl of course. do you use a double or triple? it may be easier with a single.
    Thanks D.. I'll give it a shot! RJ
    Elknut Field Staff

ok guys (and gals if there are any) here's my first attempt. lets have it!

http://soundcloud.com/trophy-hill/nervous-grunts-take-1

http://soundcloud.com/trophy-hill/nervous-grunts-take-2

ok guys (and gals if there are any) here's my first attempt. lets have it!

http://soundcloud.com/trophy-hill/nervous-grunts-take-1

http://soundcloud.com/trophy-hill/nervous-grunts-take-2
    On the money D... Sound on the mark to me. RJ
    Elknut Field Staff

On the money D... Sound on the mark to me. RJ

so this sound is used to stop an elk on the dime as he's moving thru so you can kill him. what is (are) the other situation(s) you might use this sound? and can you or someone post up what a bark sounds like. this is a very similar sound with different meaning.

so this sound is used to stop an elk on the dime as he's moving thru so you can kill him. what is (are) the other situation(s) you might use this sound? and can you or someone post up what a bark sounds like. this is a very similar sound with different meaning.
    It can be useful when a bull is hanging up at relatively close range but not giving you a clear shot. He is sensing that something is wrong. It would be my last attempt as a caller to get the bull to move into a clear lane and I would call directly at him. The hope is that he would make a split second decision that you are calling him out. "Hey! Are you an elk or not!" =)

2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)

Quote Originally Posted by slim9300 View Post
    It can be useful when a bull is hanging up at relatively close range but not giving you a clear shot. He is sensing that something is wrong. It would be my last attempt as a caller to get the bull to move into a clear lane and I would call directly at him. The hope is that he would make a split second decision that you are calling him out. "Hey! Are you an elk or not!" =)

great explanation Conlan. i've had so many bulls hang up on me and never used this sound in that situation. i can assure you that if it happens again i will be using it

great explanation Conlan. i've had so many bulls hang up on me and never used this sound in that situation. i can assure you that if it happens again i will be using it
    I hate when they beat me to it in the same situation. I would like to show myself to them but it has never worked out well for me. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by slim9300 View Post
    I hate when they beat me to it in the same situation. I would like to show myself to them but it has never worked out well for me. Lol.

interesting and another potentially great point! so it sounds like we as hunters/callers should beat the bull to the punch and use this sound before he has a chance too?

Seems to be the ticket.. Working on some estrus buzz sounds improvement this evening.. RJ
    Elknut Field Staff

I'm not sure that I understand the sound difference between a nervous grunt and a bark. I'd like to hear both to know what we're talking about.

I can tell you this, if you ever hear a bark from a bull that you're calling in, you best bark back at him in QUICK order. I never had the kahunas to try it until last year, and it bought me another 10-12 minutes (and my dad a shot) on a bull last season. He was raghorn 4pt and he was hanging out with 4 cows that were the top edge of an open meadow. I spotted the cows but only guessed that there may be a bull along with them. Knowing that I couldn't get much closer without busting the cows out, I made the risky decision to run at the cows and give a bugle as soon as they busted. Boy, did that piss him off! !! I had that bull out in the middle of the clearing within 5 seconds, and he stood out there in front of us for what seemed like 20 minutes, thrashing any bit of water he could find and jumping around like a rodeo bull. Unfortunately, he wanted me in the middle of that meadow as well and threw a bark out at me to let me know it. I hammered him right back and he went right back to thrashing his wallows. This went back and forth for the 10-12 minutes until he had enough and slowly walked off of his soapbox. Awesome experience, and I wish my dad was more confident at longer range shooting, because we just let him walk... but I learned a lot from it. I won't be hesitant to use the call any longer!

Quote Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
    I'm not sure that I understand the sound difference between a nervous grunt and a bark. I'd like to hear both to know what we're talking about.

I can tell you this, if you ever hear a bark from a bull that you're calling in, you best bark back at him in QUICK order. I never had the kahunas to try it until last year, and it bought me another 10-12 minutes (and my dad a shot) on a bull last season. He was raghorn 4pt and he was hanging out with 4 cows that were the top edge of an open meadow. I spotted the cows but only guessed that there may be a bull along with them. Knowing that I couldn't get much closer without busting the cows out, I made the risky decision to run at the cows and give a bugle as soon as they busted. Boy, did that piss him off! !! I had that bull out in the middle of the clearing within 5 seconds, and he stood out there in front of us for what seemed like 20 minutes, thrashing any bit of water he could find and jumping around like a rodeo bull. Unfortunately, he wanted me in the middle of that meadow as well and threw a bark out at me to let me know it. I hammered him right back and he went right back to thrashing his wallows. This went back and forth for the 10-12 minutes until he had enough and slowly walked off of his soapbox. Awesome experience, and I wish my dad was more confident at longer range shooting, because we just let him walk... but I learned a lot from it. I won't be hesitant to use the call any longer!
    Popping grunt is different than an alarm bark.. An alarm bark is oftentimes more than one elk saying "crap, this isn't right... run"! It usually happens at the same time or immediately before you hear elk busting. Wind isn't in your favor, or, a positive visual has been had on you by the elk. A popping/nervous grunt is (I've seen this phenomenon several times) is a bull saying "show yourself or I'm outa here". They know something is there but can't see it (you're making elk sounds, but, the bull can't get a visual). If a guy respond to a nervous/popping grunt with some cow talk, it usually calms the bull down for at least a minute or two.. Here's something from Elknut1... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fAao_w4C08

When you respond to a nervous/popping grunt with some cow chatter, it may buy you (or your partner) the precious time needed to get a shot.. Just my thoughts... RJ
    Elknut Field Staff

So, you want an estrus buzz sample? Here you go... This is a tough one to reproduce.... Like Trophy mentioned, use a "trumpet" buzz similar to a lip bawl bugle but only shorter and obviously not as pronounced (loud and obnoxious) ... this method works, I'm working on my second offering RJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrW-OAn8VA4
    Elknut Field Staff

The Popping/Nervous grunt or bark as some call it (not to be confused with a warning bark) is used by all elk in varying situations. By experiencing this sound in its many forms by elk under different situations one can come to his or her conclusions that if it's good enough for the elk to use it under particular situations then it will also work for us hunters! This sound is used out of Curiosity or Wanting Identification & at times to Create Excitement. But it's not held to just that! Bulls will use it in front of a screaming bugle or at the end of one instead of a series of grunts. Why? Because not only are they trying to intimidate the other bull but he wants to see this new challenger. Elk will also vary volume in its use depending on nervousness or lack of it. Many times you will hear an elk give a soft one then another with a bit more volume. Too, I've seen calves squeal this sound along with small chirps as they were hopping & darting around with a sense of excitement & the more mature cows not even giving them a glance. Seeing things like this firsthand really helps us to know when & where we can best utilize such sounds.

We've taken many bulls with the use of the popping/nervous grunt, timing of sounds is key, too, they must fit the encounter or fit a method of use. Do not confuse this sound with a "bark" a bark is used by elk as a warning to others in the area, it will be given by them several times in just a few seconds or within 60 seconds & they are getting further away, other elk may also chime in with this warning as they exit the area. Nervous/Popping grunts are given in a single note fashion, in most cases they're no closer than 30 sec apart, generally closer to a minute sometimes more & can be used by all elk. I'll see about posting some actual sounds made by the elk! Try this link!

C:\Users\ElkNut\Music\Elk Sounds w-out Announced

ElkNut1
    elknut.com
    Vortex Optics Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by eltaco View Post

I just listened to Elknut's video on the popping grunt. We were talking about the same thing, I was just using different terminology. In the above instance, I had that bull convinced that I was another bull, so when he gave me the popping grunt, I gave it right back to him and it kept his interest. I think he might have been quite confused if I came back with a cow call at that time, since we'd been exchanging bull sounds for 20 minutes prior. Interesting scenario, I'm happy for the experience as it bought us quite a bit more time with that bull.

Allright campers... I made the attached utube vid in my boat shed.... The tin walls make the sounds more than a bit tinny so bear that in mind please. Again, I opologize for the IR video on my action cam....... It's a bit creepy I feel I can knock down the popping grunt, lip bawl bugles (sorry about throwing in the few grunts, it's a matter of habit), and the lost cow pretty well. The estrus buzz... well, that's something I need work on. The video Elknut1 threw up a while back containing a cow making the estrus buzz was my sample for my attempt.. I tried to mimic the short, quick version of the buzz.. Funny, I've heard this noise (estrus buzz) in the elk woods and didn't know what it was until last year.. I knew it was an elk, but didn't know what the sound meant. OK... thoughts on the sounds I've thrown up? Thanks....... love these elk noise threads RJ

http://youtu.be/-P93YdEySUg
    Rory, that lip bawl bugle sounds MEAN, buddy!!! I hope you're using that in the woods!

Back in '09, I wasn't able to make that sound.... thankfully my hunting partner was. The bull that I ended up taking would not respond unless Dan used a lip bawl bugle. We had 3 bulls going and we blew my shot on a NICE herd bull that tried to come in silent, but my 5pt was going hog wild over that sound through the whole encounter. I think this call is critical, now, and I've had good responses from it since.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast