Thread: Adams county IL lease

Adams county IL lease

Could you tell me a general idea of what I should expect to get for a hunting lease? I just bought some land, and will just let friends hunt it if it's not worthwhile to lease.

Adams county IL (immediately north of Pike county, part of the "golden triangle". Just 2 miles south of Quincy
    80 acres (may be down to 62 if I agree to sell one of the crop fields to a neighbor.) 50 acres of it is wooded ravines. neighbor land is farmed.
    prior owner didn't allow hunting.
    deer trails are amazing -- look like cattle trails, but there is no fence around the property and no cattle.

This isn't a "land for lease" post, so hopefully it's ok. I just want to know if I should go to the effort of leasing, or not.
    Thanks, Todd

tpetty,I sent you a pm.

I wouldn't sell the crop field. Just lease that field out to a farmer every year.

I think I can get $120k for the 15 acres to the south (which is 13 acres tillable). Selling that off would bring my remaining land cost down $1000 per acre. A pretty big price savings, considering I really just want wooded land for a nice (eventual) homestead anyway.

if you can get the 8000$ an acre for the tillable i would do it. farm land is bringing a little more than timber but you can buy farms right now around here for 2500$ an acre with a mixture. There is a lot listed in the 3-3500$ price range right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tpetty View Post
    I think I can get $120k for the 15 acres to the south (which is 13 acres tillable). Selling that off would bring my remaining land cost down $1000 per acre. A pretty big price savings, considering I really just want wooded land for a nice (eventual) homestead anyway.

not to bust your bubble, but the best prime farm ground will hit like 7K if 2 guys want it really bad, id guess 4K/acre in adams

I was already offered 6k per acre by the bordering farmer for a 20 acre piece -- 13 acres corn field -- as well as 7 acres of ravine, that I don't think he really wants. I'm going to offer 15 acres for the same price. Same crop ground, just less ravine.

I don't expect anyone non-local to understand the local market. Ground around Quincy goes high, because people interested in land for a "hobby farm" want to stay in the city school district -- which only extends out about two miles.

I've bought two other smaller pieces of land within 2 miles of town (just within school border) in the last decade. 13 and 17 acre pieces. Mostly pasture/woods with a little cropground, and paid $7100 to $8200 per acre. The price that I paid for this piece -- that I got at bankruptcy auction -- was an aberration. I've never seen another piece this close to town go this reasonably.

I would not rent or sell the other part of your property. I live in Hannibal and work at Gardner Denver. Peole also pay good money to hunt and that wil never stop. I would not worry about how much you can get for it now.

Todd,

I've been PM'n you for the past several days to see about leasing the property....

If you don't mind, let me know if you still plan to lease it...

Thanks