Thread: Help with a Wood Furnace

Help with a Wood Furnace

Looking for some ideas as to why my wood furnace isnt working properly. I replaced my older Clayton Wood furnace with a newer model Clayton and they are both almost identical. Since they are basically the same, I hooked it up like the old configuration. This time however I cant seem to cool off the furnace enough to get the blowers to turn off. The furnace stays very hot and the blowers continuously run until the fire is almost out. The old set up was utilizing the blower on the oil furnace to the left and piping the cold air directly into the bottom of the wood furnace. I had it hooked up like that again but it wasn't cooling the wood furnace enough. Instead I hooked up the two blowers that came with the wood furnace, made a plenum to fit around them and still used the same airflow direction with the exception of not using the oil furnace blower. I thought this would improve it but its still to hot. Make sense? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!100_7362.jpg
    09' Mathews Reezen 6.5 #70 29"

From the way it looks in your picture, the supply air and return air are both coming from the plenum on the oil furnace.
    If that's the case, remember that air flow will take the path of least resistance.100_7362.jpg

There is actually a baffle that slides in from the left of the plenum. it divides the plenum in half so everything there is ok. I think I need to increase the size of the duct work in order to expel more air.
    09' Mathews Reezen 6.5 #70 29"

this probaly has nothing to do with your problem but make sure you run a chimney cleaning brush up your chimney at least once a year. that stove pipe you have going to the thimble in the wall should be cleaned 3 or 4 times a year. the reason i mentioned this is it looks like you got creosote dripping down the wall under the thimble. that is not a good sign. i use to work for a chimney sweep and cleaning the chimney once a year with a wood furnace or a wood stove HAS to be done. i'll bet money your maintaining your chimney correctly but i have seen my share of plugged chimneys. a co2 detector in the house is also a very good idea.